New Head Coach search

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I wonder how Sullivan can happen? He steps down from Pittsburgh, then we hire him a week or two later like how Dubas showed up in Pittsburgh after Toronto?

I know Dubas technically didn’t step down, so I’m not sure why I made that comparison.

And maybe we do some kind of favor(s) for Pittsburgh later. Like trade them someone for cheaper than we otherwise would (Holtz) or help them out some way.
If he already has an extension in place it can only happen if Sullivan makes it happen. It probably comes down to whether Dubas really wants him there or wants his own guy.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So maybe Dubas wants to bring Keefe down. I can see the Leafs moving on from him and trying to move one of their stars to shake things up. Dubas then says to Sullivan that he wants to make a move, we're going to let you go, and he comes to us.
Keefe is a novice and not any good. I’d welcome him to Pittsburgh. It’ll make them worse, if they aren’t due for some luck.

Watch us be the ones to hire him. He’s not Travis Green level. I don’t think anyone potentially in line for a job this offseason is. Maybe guys who we know nothing about and that’s it.

Reactions: My3Sons

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Dubas bringing Keefe to Pittsburgh if he gets canned by the leafs would be such awful optics considering, if fired, it means he accomplished nothing with the group there relative to expectations.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I wonder how Sullivan can happen? He steps down from Pittsburgh, then we hire him a week or two later like how Dubas showed up in Pittsburgh after Toronto?

I know Dubas technically didn’t step down, so I’m not sure why I made that comparison.

And maybe we do some kind of favor(s) for Pittsburgh later. Like trade them someone for cheaper than we otherwise would (Holtz) or help them out some way.
Didn’t Maurice step down and then sign with Florida ?

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Signed a multi year extension in feb 2020 and then stepped down in dec 2021 then signed with Florida in June of 2022

Hmmm, if that is the case, then there is precedent to some extent. I still won’t believe it has any legs til I see it happen.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn’t Maurice step down and then sign with Florida ?
Yeah but as you said, it was 6 months later.

Not that something like that would ever happen in-season where a coach steps down and is hired by a different team weeks or even a month. Maybe it's happened when they made out like it was a mutual agreement for the coach to leave.

I remember something about Brian Burke stepping down from the Ducks as GM in-season, only to join the Leafs weeks later

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Yeah but as you said, it was 6 months later.

Not that something like that would ever happen in-season where a coach steps down and is hired by a different team weeks or even a month. Maybe it's happened when they made out like it was a mutual agreement for the coach to leave.

I remember something about Brian Burke stepping down from the Ducks as GM in-season, only to join the Leafs weeks later
Maybe Lou ?

Got a promotion technically then resigned to become the leafs gm about a month later

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Dubas bringing Keefe to Pittsburgh if he gets canned by the leafs would be such awful optics considering, if fired, it means he accomplished nothing with the group there relative to expectations.
Why would Leafs do the same with Trevling as GM?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Brent Sutter resigned here and ended up in Calgary shortly after.

Sullivan would have to resign and then have the Devils ask for permission. Pittsburgh could deny it though.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_5484.jpeg

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I mean Fitz blows this decision and he's getting fired no matter how good the roster he makes. It's basically his entire GM tenure wrapped up in one decision.
And that is part of the problem, Tom Fitzgerald the Devils GM wants to be involved with the day to day Devils game day. Most coaches don't want the GM looking over their shoulder or in their operating space. It is Fitz's job that gets him fired so he doesn't want to give up his control. Tough to find this kind of coach.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It was right and obvious decision for Buffalo organisation. He is a right coach who can teach their young players some new tricks. They have a lot of rookiess in the line still.

Buffalo is in a similar situation to NJ where their young players need structure. They aren't going to really get that from Ruff if he employs the same system as he did in NJ.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Buffalo is in a similar situation to NJ where their young players need structure. They aren't going to really get that from Ruff if he employs the same system as he did in NJ.
They may be ok if they get the goaltending they need. Ruff will at least get the young players who skate well to maximize their offense

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I'll gladly eat my words if Buffalo looks good with Lindy but there's no way in hell that happens.
They need to eventually make the playoffs. The team has alot of young talent it's only a matter of time before they get back.

It's crazy next season Dahlin's 11 million dollar cap hit & Power's 8.35 million dollar cap hit both will begin. There's going to be alot of pressure on those 2 to help lead that team.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
They need to eventually make the playoffs. The team has alot of young talent it's only a matter of time before they get back.

It's crazy next season Dahlin's 11 million dollar cap hit & Power's 8.35 million dollar cap hit both will begin. There's going to be alot of pressure on those 2 to help lead that team.

Buffalo is in a similar situation to NJ where their young players need structure. They aren't going to really get that from Ruff if he
the same system as he did in NJ.
They have goaltending. And a lot of different talents.

Savoie, Kulich, Quinn, Wahlberg, Benson, prospect of this year are and will only beginning. And this team has a lot of offensive talents to play Ruff game. Even if they will not make a play off, but will start to play much better, fans should be OK. Young players will help to stay under the cap with new Dahlin and Power deals. And Levi with UPL should help Buffalo to not be outgoaltended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad