Which Cities are Candidates to Get an NHL Team?

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
It makes no sense to put a team in Indianapolis, let alone Indy and then Cincy. Firstly, Cincy just wouldnt work, city isnt big enough for 3 pro sports teams.

An NHL team would make four, almost, if you count MLS which is almost guaranteed to join Cincinnati at this point

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
<snip>

So, of the options, Houston or Kansas City would probably be the frontrunners if either had interested and viable owners, Portland would be up there if the Allen group decided to open up their pockets, and Quebec City is the wild card that the NHL probably wants to keep in case a team just out and out has to move and there are no local parties interested. In other words, I'm not expecting an expansion past Seattle in the near future.
wow, great post. thanks. have to agree with your conclusions here.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
the only 3 outside of Seattle the I've ever heard from credible people were Houston, Milwaukee & Quebec City

There would be a market in the GTA but last time Bettman and the BoG blocked it

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm not sure if they'll ever get a 3rd opportunity
much rather see Houston get a shot first over a 3rd Atlanta team. Give it another 10 years, and see how things shake out for Atlanta to get back in the conversation, still too many people upset they got a team for the 2nd time, this board would melt if they got a 3rd team and Hamilton, Houston, or hell Milwaukee doesn't get a first shot here. and I think Milwaukee to this day is still one of if not the biggest miss for the league - that Northern Illinois market would help carry this team until more corporate support/new arena can come in. Tons of Brewer/Packers fans in Northern Illinois/Wisconsin, they would jump on for the hockey team as well...the rivalry alone with the Hawks would be awesome...any who, lets just get Seattle here first dammit!!

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
much rather see Houston get a shot first over a 3rd Atlanta team. Give it another 10 years, and see how things shake out for Atlanta to get back in the conversation, still too many people upset they got a team for the 2nd time, this board would melt if they got a 3rd team and Hamilton, Houston, or hell Milwaukee doesn't get a first shot here. and I think Milwaukee to this day is still one of if not the biggest miss for the league - that Northern Illinois market would help carry this team until more corporate support/new arena can come in. Tons of Brewer/Packers fans in Northern Illinois/Wisconsin, they would jump on for the hockey team as well...the rivalry alone with the Hawks would be awesome...any who, lets just get Seattle here first dammit!!

People who are upset that Atlanta got a 2nd team are idiots the NHL should never listen to. It wasn't Atlanta Flames fans fault the Flames left any more than it was Jets or Nordiques fans fault they lost their teams, or Thrashers fans fault they lost theirs. Going by that logic, no one should ever get another chance.

The last thing the NHL should think about is "How will knuckle dragging Canadians feel if we put a team in BLANK?"

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Cities with structures allowing them to have an NHL team :
Quebec City, Kansas City, Houston

Cities that have a wish to get an NHL team :
Quebec City, Kansas City, Houston, Albuquerque, Nome, Fair Banks, Saskatoon, Hamilton, Burlington, Mississauga, Salt Lake City, Hartford, Atlanta,...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Cities with structures allowing them to have an NHL team :
Quebec City, Kansas City, Houston

Cities that have a wish to get an NHL team :
Quebec City, Kansas City, Houston, Albuquerque, Nome, Fair Banks, Saskatoon, Hamilton, Burlington, Mississauga, Salt Lake City, Hartford, Atlanta,...

I'm not buying KC as being even a remote possibility & frankly at this stage, while semi-enthusiastic about an NHL franchise Tilman Fertitta in Houston just blew a tonne of $$$ on the Rockets & Toyota Center, and I'm pretty darn sure the only reason Houstons being talked about is because Alexanders' out of the way, Under New Ownership & Management, there is some demand for the NHL in the market, fans & media asking him about it, he did enquire after the League however price seems to be a huge sticking point so....

But sure, cities with structure, namely an arena & a decent sized population....

Quebec (hopefully)
Seattle (on the way)

Hamilton
Milwaukee
Hartford
Orlando
Houston
Tulsa
Kansas City
Portland OR

... then youve also got Virginia & San Diego with buildings either being discussed or approved & on the way, a few markets with AHL teams & decent seating capacities, corporate suites etc. Tier 3 or 4 markets. With the exception of QC & Seattle who have declared their Candidacies, the rest of them & more... well, its is "Fantasyland" & until an ownership group steps up to the plate & gets serious... just a "wish list" for those in the markets absent NHL clubs. All hypotheticals.... but seriously, Alaska? New Mexico? Saskatoonio? Plz. :rolleyes:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm not buying KC as being even a remote possibility & frankly at this stage, while semi-enthusiastic about an NHL franchise Tilman Fertitta in Houston just blew a tonne of $$$ on the Rockets & Toyota Center, and I'm pretty darn sure the only reason Houstons being talked about is because Alexanders' out of the way, Under New Ownership & Management, there is some demand for the NHL in the market, fans & media asking him about it, he did enquire after the League however price seems to be a huge sticking point so....

But sure, cities with structure, namely an arena & a decent sized population....

Quebec (hopefully)
Seattle (on the way)

Hamilton
Milwaukee
Hartford
Orlando
Houston
Tulsa
Kansas City
Portland OR

... then youve also got Virginia & San Diego with buildings either being discussed or approved & on the way, a few markets with AHL teams & decent seating capacities, corporate suites etc. Tier 3 or 4 markets. With the exception of QC & Seattle who have declared their Candidacies, the rest of them & more... well, its is "Fantasyland" & until an ownership group steps up to the plate & gets serious... just a "wish list" for those in the markets absent NHL clubs. All hypotheticals.... but seriously, Alaska? New Mexico? Saskatoonio? Plz. :rolleyes:

You can add Cleveland to the list as well. Am I the only one who remembers Gilbert's comments when the Monsters sold out the clinching game of the Calder Cup Finals a couple years ago?

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You can add Cleveland to the list as well. Am I the only one who remembers Gilbert's comments when the Monsters sold out the clinching game of the Calder Cup Finals a couple years ago?

I didnt actually include them (though ya, I think that'd be a great market) as in discussions weve had here in the past on this possibility always lead us to Columbus, and its believed by many that an NHL franchise in Cleveland would cause harm to the Blue Jackets. Honestly I dont know how true that might be, however, I've deferred to hf Member's who live in the State, seemingly a majority thinking it would be a bad idea, cause grief. So, left it off my list. Cleveland, long rich history of hockey. Invited to join the NHL in the 40's, awarded a conditional franchise in the 50's & so on & so forth. Most today however pointing to the economy, the Blue Jackets, non-starter.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I didnt actually include them (though ya, I think that'd be a great market) as in discussions weve had here in the past on this possibility always lead us to Columbus, and its believed by many that an NHL franchise in Cleveland would cause harm to the Blue Jackets. Honestly I dont know how true that might be, however, I've deferred to hf Member's who live in the State, seemingly a majority thinking it would be a bad idea, cause grief. So, left it off my list. Cleveland, long rich history of hockey. Invited to join the NHL in the 40's, awarded a conditional franchise in the 50's & so on & so forth. Most today however pointing to the economy, the Blue Jackets, non-starter.

Blue Jackets have been near the bottom in attendance for quite a number of years now. From what I understand, their tv ratings aren't great either. This for a playoff contending team as of late. No harm could possibly be done.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
I would love Quebec to come back into the league but I'm not sure if any Canadian market could pay the franchise fee at this time. Perhaps if the Canadian dollar comes back close to par then it would be again possible.
Not sure with the current Canadian dollar if many of the existing Canadian franchises would be able to come up with the franchise fee if they had to come in as a new team.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
I would love Quebec to come back into the league but I'm not sure if any Canadian market could pay the franchise fee at this time. Perhaps if the Canadian dollar comes back close to par then it would be again possible.
Not sure with the current Canadian dollar if many of the existing Canadian franchises would be able to come up with the franchise fee if they had to come in as a new team.
Yeah, agreed. With the current price of the dollar and the new expansion fee of $650 million USD, I think a Canadian city isn't an option.....roughly $850 million CAD before you drop the puck

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Think when Seattle gets the team that'll be it for expansion for a long time. Think Houston gets Arizona when/if they relocate and Quebec City will get one of Florida/Carolina/NY Islanders if either of those teams relocates.

Kansas City, Milwaukee, Saskatoon and Toronto 2 would all be great cities for the NHL but I doubt you see NHL expansion or relocation besides what I mentioned above for a long time.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
What's the scene in Halifax? Curious because I've seen the name on some articles up in Canuckistan and really don't know how viable they are.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
What's the scene in Halifax? Curious because I've seen the name on some articles up in Canuckistan and really don't know how viable they are.
They are a small city in the economically depressed Atlantic of Canada. They aren't a viable location.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad