Which Cities are Candidates to Get an NHL Team?

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
All other options, viable as they may be "in the right situation" are currently NOT candidates, for arena, market or entry price reasons.

Arenas can be built.....I can understand that a place without any suitable arena isn't a candidate. But, even Birmingham Alabama has a suitable arena to host an NHL team for a while.

Entry price reasons? You don't know who the owner would be. How can you rule out a market because of the entry price? A person worth $970B could show up and decide they'd like to own an NHL team in Sioux City, Iowa.

Forget potential owners and costs.

If a current owner or a multi-billionaire new owner.....decides they want an NHL franchise somewhere....is that somewhere a location that could support an NHL team?

I like the idea of looking more at the market, instead of how they would get a team , what it would cost, who would own it....all that bullspit.

If tomorrow there was an NHL team in San Antonio.....would it do alright? Nevermind HOW they got a team...or WHO owns the team or WHAT the team cost. Could that market do alright?

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
not everybody would...
I lived in an area that was full of people like you.

They had people looking to put a Major hockey tenant in their local arena....they would fund the renovations of the arena....and then be partners in building a new arena.

The people in the area and the city reps were concerned about what would happen to their lower level team. So they sent the people packing. They're now in their 19th year of planning for a new arena but don't have the funding....and there have been no renovations to the old one.

If you have had an ECHL team for 20 years.....you love that team....you know everything about it....but if the AHL comes knocking? You answer the door.

If the NHL comes knocking? You open the door, give them your keys and suggest that your wife is available.

Reactions: powerstuck

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Besides Seattle in a few seasons, which cities are Candidates to Get a Team? QC? Atlanta? Houston? Alabama? Hamilton/ Toronto?

I'm guessing you mean Birmingham in the State of Alabama yes? While that city is enjoying a sort of renaissance with the downtown core being gentrified, great restaurants, live entertainment, galleries & museums etc, doubt very much that anyone has any interest in building an NHL sized arena, dropping over a half a billion for a team. They do have a minor pro team, playing in the SPHL... did have a WHA Franchise, the notorious Birmingham Bull's, 76/79 (formerly the Ottawa Nationals, Toronto Toros). Population is just over a million, not a lot of corporate heft, fair amount of poverty along with all the social & criminal ills that creates even still.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm guessing you mean Birmingham in the State of Alabama yes? While that city is enjoying a sort of renaissance with the downtown core being gentrified, great restaurants, live entertainment, galleries & museums etc, doubt very much that anyone has any interest in building an NHL sized arena, dropping over a half a billion for a team. They do have a minor pro team, playing in the SPHL... did have a WHA Franchise, the notorious Birmingham Bull's, 76/79 (formerly the Ottawa Nationals, Toronto Toros). Population is just over a million, not a lot of corporate heft, fair amount of poverty along with all the social & criminal ills that creates even still.
actually, the Bulls are in Pelham, K...

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I lived in an area that was full of people like you.

They had people looking to put a Major hockey tenant in their local arena....they would fund the renovations of the arena....and then be partners in building a new arena.

The people in the area and the city reps were concerned about what would happen to their lower level team. So they sent the people packing. They're now in their 19th year of planning for a new arena but don't have the funding....and there have been no renovations to the old one.

If you have had an ECHL team for 20 years.....you love that team....you know everything about it....but if the AHL comes knocking? You answer the door.

If the NHL comes knocking? You open the door, give them your keys and suggest that your wife is available.
dude, apparently you have ZERO clue about pro hockey in Portland, Maine.....

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Arenas can be built.....I can understand that a place without any suitable arena isn't a candidate. But, even Birmingham Alabama has a suitable arena to host an NHL team for a while.

Entry price reasons? You don't know who the owner would be. How can you rule out a market because of the entry price? A person worth $970B could show up and decide they'd like to own an NHL team in Sioux City, Iowa.

Forget potential owners and costs.

If a current owner or a multi-billionaire new owner.....decides they want an NHL franchise somewhere....is that somewhere a location that could support an NHL team?

I like the idea of looking more at the market, instead of how they would get a team , what it would cost, who would own it....all that bullspit.

If tomorrow there was an NHL team in San Antonio.....would it do alright? Nevermind HOW they got a team...or WHO owns the team or WHAT the team cost. Could that market do alright?

Oh, so you want the fantasy list of market only that might be rabid enough to support a team. Hmmm

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
not everybody would...
Yup...you're "that guy".

The person that kind of likes the local Junior C team. You've been following them for over a decade. You own team gear....you follow the alumni. You LOVE that Junior C team.

Then....a business person sees how much you love hockey....and wants to offer you a higher skilled hockey.

They propose moving a Tier II Junior A team to the area....they also propose funding partial arena renovations if other renos are done by the city.

You now oppose this. The business owner was attracted to the area because of your interest in hockey. But, when the business owner offered renovations to an old arena......halfies on a new arena......and a long term lease......

You, being "that guy", still oppose the new team/league. Even though they will upgrade the current arena....and pay a pile into the building of a new one.......

At the end of the day....it is a punch in the face to your beloved Junior C team. So you get vocal to oppose it.

It's absurd.

Reactions: razor ray

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Oh, so you want the fantasy list of market only that might be rabid enough to support a team. Hmmm
No, any market that could possibly support a team both through ticket sales and corporate revenues.

Markets that if an Owner popped up and the situation popped up....would be viable.

Is it REALLY that hard to understand?!?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Not the best sight lines though as it is primarily being built for hoops.

Arena_Hockey_Floor.jpg

Probably better sight lines than the Bradley Center.

EUd4TFa.png

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Probably better sight lines than the Bradley Center.

EUd4TFa.png
that should be a file photo AF, KNOWING all the history of how that arena came to be, and something that should be treasured forever, that is a rare photo indeed as a rare opportunity to as when the arena is not occupied, thanks for sharing that photo....

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Houston and QC are the only realistic options IMO. Houston likely is the league's first choice and QC is the last resort. IMO

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
you want the ire of Milwaukee fans from here on out badgering you, Jeffrey..... I'm defending MILWAUKEE, here dude.... the OP has ZERO, repeat zero credibility by even posting this inane thread

And yet....here you are replying to said thread by someone with zero credibility....

Don't bother replying next time.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
No, any market that could possibly support a team both through ticket sales and corporate revenues.

Markets that if an Owner popped up and the situation popped up....would be viable.

Is it REALLY that hard to understand?!?

I'm sorry if my post came across with sarcasm. I was going to put a list after it, but got involved with other things.

KC...No.
MILW...With a free arena, maybe.
QC...Yes
Houston...Yes
SA or Austin...Yes
Atl...With a free arena and no baggage, yes
SLC...Maybe
Tor2...Yes
Southern Ontario...Yes
Seattle...Yes
Montreal2....Maybe
Ohio2.....No
OKC...No

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Are we really doing this again?

Only potential owners willing to pony up $650,000,000 are candidates. It's a short list of one right now.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Mark Chipman, president of the Jets, made a presentation to the NHL in 2007 on Winnipeg for consideration on entering the league.

The other groups that presented that day? Houston, Kansas City, Las Vegas and Seattle.

So of the 5, 2.5 have teams. It would seem to me that Houston is the next front runner. Don’t really hear much about Kansas City but there was obviously at least some what serious interest at one point. Quebec City is obviously interested.

I’d put it as
1. Houston
2. Quebec City
3. Toronto
4. Kansas City
5. Atlanta
Kansas City has an arena. They had someone (Boots DelBiaggio) who wanted to bring a team there, but he went to prison. Not sure if he is out. Last I heard, the owners of the arena were not interested in an NHL team as they feel it is more profitable to keep the arena open for other events. Have not heard an update on them recently. Quebec City has an arena, and an ownership group with deep pockets, and a rabid fan base ready to go. Makes sense, but I think they will have to wait for relocation and it will have to be an Eastern team. Not sure they would want to move a team from the west and have an alignment issue again. Not a big deal to me, but I don't have a say in the matter. Obviously, if a West team has to move and they do not have another city outside of the ETZ ready to take them, Quebec may be the only choice.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
  • Houston
  • Seattle
  • Quebec City
  • Kansas City
  • Cleveland
  • Hamilton
Most of these won't happen, but based solely on market size, interest and population, these are them most realistic options.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
As to this original question.....I think the list of potential markets is a long one.

Through relocation or expansion....you can't rule many locations out.

QC, Houston, Kansas City, Hamilton, Toronto2, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Hartford, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, San Antonio, San Diego, Portland, Oklahoma City, Sacramento, and so on.

Any of these places could be a candidate, and sure....even Birmingham.

In my humble opinion......if you want to really spark interest and get people watching.....you purposefully put teams pretty close to another team.

I think Columbus would benefit from a team in Indianapolis....there would be a huge rivalry there due to geography alone. Throw a team in Cincinnati and those three teams now have 2 rivals each instantly, plus any others that develop for reasons outside of geography.

Same goes for
Toronto-Hamilton Buffalo
Milwaukee-Chicago
Sacramento-San Jose
Portland-Seattle-Vancouver (bit of a hike to go from Vancity to Portland...but not unheard of)
Columbus-Cleveland-Pittsburgh

Imagine down the road....if there are teams moved and a bit more expansion....if teams are put in:
Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Cleveland.

Within a 4 hour drive from each other....you'd have Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus, Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

7 teams pretty much within 4 hours of each other. Chicago to Pittsburgh would be a stretch....but 5 of those 7 teams are right in there.

To me, that isn't encroaching on another Owner's area....(since it actually isn't according to the by-laws)....it is helping them. Giving those teams an instant rival they will draw big crowds for and can charge more for.

Competition in sports helps both parties, as long as it is within reason. Like dumping a team in San Francisco to be rivals with San Jose, that'd be a bit too close. But a Sacramento team? If San Jose has a very stable and local fan base....it might actually increase their revenue to have a team in Sacramento.

Teams that are struggling....they might not be able to handle losing some of the fans that are in-between.....so it would have to be done carefully.

TLDR......there are a lot of candidates. Too often people rule locations out, I used to do that myself.
It makes no sense to put a team in Indianapolis, let alone Indy and then Cincy. Firstly, Cincy just wouldnt work, city isnt big enough for 3 pro sports teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad