Which Centre Would You Want?

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Alright, so I know there is quite a bit of discussion in the entry draft thread, but I thought I'd create a poll just to kind of see what the consensus is. At our position in the draft I think it makes the most sense to draft a centre, and I doubt that Mackinnon falls to where we pick. So, for the sake of this poll, I've only listed Monahan, Barkov, and Lindholm. Who would you want the Flames to pick?

Last edited:

stlflamesfan

Nov 23, 2010
Barkov has always been the player I wanted and will be one very happy Flames fan if we draft him. However I would not be upset if Barkov was off the board and we picked either of them. I would be more upset if we did not pick Barkov and he is on the board.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
If Barkov is there when we are picking, it would be him.

If not, I really like Lindholm.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Barkov, of course, he's the best center available.
Then Lindholm or Monahan would make me happy; both are going to be great NHL'ers

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Barkov is kinda slow, lacks finesse, has a good wrister but overall lacks that wow factor in the times I've seen him. I think he should be a good player but I don't think he's as great as others are making him out to be. The whole 'playing in a men's league' argument that Finn's like to throw around is overrated. Playing well in the the Sm-Liigga isn't as impressive as some make it out.

I like Barkov, but I don't think his ceiling is too high, and though he likely bottoms out as still a good player, I see that as just as likely as him hitting his ceiling.

So I voted Monahan. Not as big but a little swifter. Extremely gritty. Comes up big in tournaments and big games. IMO he's a safer bet and his floor is a little bit higher.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I love how this is a choice.. (potentially).

We actually have the power to draft a stud C! I'd be happy with anyone of them... I really believe Monahan will develop into an amazing 2-way, offensively gifted centre that will eventually be a team captain.

Trae

Calgary
1. Barkov
2. Monahan
3. Lindholm

If win the lottery, I want MacKinnon, I don't care that Jones is the consensus number one. I am almost always of the opinion that you take BPA, but we have gone on so long without a center I can't handle it anymore.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Barkov is kinda slow, lacks finesse, has a good wrister but overall lacks that wow factor in the times I've seen him. I think he should be a good player but I don't think he's as great as others are making him out to be. The whole 'playing in a men's league' argument that Finn's like to throw around is overrated. Playing well in the the Sm-Liigga isn't as impressive as some make it out.

I like Barkov, but I don't think his ceiling is too high, and though he likely bottoms out as still a good player, I see that as just as likely as him hitting his ceiling.

So I voted Monahan. Not as big but a little swifter. Extremely gritty. Comes up big in tournaments and big games. IMO he's a safer bet and his floor is a little bit higher.

Interesting.
Monahan's Ceiling higher than Barkov's limited ceiling in your eyes eh? Interesting. How many times have you actually seen Barkov play? Better hands, better awareness, higher skill than Monahan; lacks some foot speed, but makes up with his massive frame and body positioning. Barkov's got great net presence, which is great for someone his size, and the skill to back it up as well.

Also, he's the number one European skater in international rankings... probably for a good reason.

Also kind of a backwards argument with the SM-Liga comment.
If you think it's negligible that Barkov is putting numbers against men, how can it also not be negligible to say that guys in the CHL are putting up numbers against teenagers? Also, when he went to the WJC, when he was playing against guys that were mostly older than him (he's one of the youngest in the draft this year, btw), he also performed well lol?

I really like Monahan, don't get me wrong here. However, I think once some of the people who have never seen him play heard he's like Jonathan Toews, they all got massive boners about him. Listen, since like 2010, at each draft, it seems that a Toews comparison gets thrown around for a two way center in the first round. It's just the nature of the beast, it's because Toews makes it look so effortless giving all his effort; it's why every draft people think they have the next one of him.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Interesting.
Monahan's Ceiling higher than Barkov's limited ceiling in your eyes eh? Interesting. How many times have you actually seen Barkov play? Better hands, better awareness, higher skill than Monahan; lacks some foot speed, but makes up with his massive frame and body positioning. Barkov's got great net presence, which is great for someone his size, and the skill to back it up as well.

Also, he's the number one European skater in international rankings... probably for a good reason.

If you think it's negligible that Barkov is putting numbers against men, how can it also not be negligible to say that guys in the CHL are putting up numbers against teenagers? Also, when he went to the WJC, when he was playing against guys that were mostly older than him (he's one of the youngest in the draft this year, btw), he also performed well lol?

I really like Monahan, don't get me wrong here. However, I think once some of the people who have never seen him play heard he's like Jonathan Toews, they all got massive boners about him. Listen, since like 2010, at each draft, it seems that a Toews comparison gets thrown around for a two way center in the first round. It's just the nature of the beast, it's because Toews makes it look so effortless giving all his effort; it's why every draft people think they have the next one of him.

he probably thinks cause granlund strugled coming over that barkov will.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Interesting.

Monahan gets compared to Toews because he plays exactly like him. Players have been compared to him, but none of them are as close to him in style as Monahan is.

Hockey IQ, and awareness, and net front presence, is pretty much a wash between Monahan and Barkov.

I've seen both guys play about a dozen times each. And there aren't many effective NHLers as slow as Barkov. Yeah he's bigger than Monahan, but Monahan isn't small either. Speed though is what can make or break players at the NHL level and like Granlund, it could be a huge obstacle for Barkov while trying to translate his game. FEL isn't nearly as fast and the NHL speed could hinder Barkov's offense and his defense.

I haven't seen much of Lindholm however, but if his offensive abilities are as good as some are saying, I'd perhaps be inclined to take him over both players.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
I like a lot of Barkov. He's got some Russian blood from his father, which gives hime more artifice, but at the same time he has grown in Finland so there's no Russian factor with Sasha. Attitude is fine with him too, so I would be happy to see him to carry Flames-jersey.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
he probably thinks cause granlund strugled coming over that barkov will.

Shades of Jokinen?

Top-ranked European skater in the draft. Maintained that ranking from mid-season. He scored five goals for Finland at the World Junior Championships. Also competed at the 1997 World Championships, where he was the youngest player. Was youngest player on IFK Helsinki, but centered the first line. Described by scouts as offensive-minded, Jokinen plays the game with emotion. Unselfish, creative player who said, "I like to hit and play physical." His Finnish coach was former NHLer Mike Eaves. Plays with a lot of confidence.

If Barkov played like Olli did up to 2006-2007 there wouldn't be too many complaints. Size without a lot of strength, and skating needing to be improved are frequent complaints for top prospects if not the very best like Malkin and Ovi.

I really want for them to have a shot at one of Drouin or MacKinnon. I don't have faith in Monahan as a 94 who did not ramp up his game as some others have for their draft year, nor am I comfortable about using a top 5 pick on a player who is not already an NHL skater. If I have to choose between the two, it would be Barkov, mostly because he is a year younger so he might have a bit more physical development in him.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I don't have faith in Monahan as a 94 who did not ramp up his game as some others have for their draft year, nor am I comfortable about using a top 5 pick on a player who is not already an NHL skater. If I have to choose between the two, it would be Barkov, mostly because he is a year younger so he might have a bit more physical development in him.

I've heard a few people mention "Monahan didn't step up his game, look at his stats this year compared to last." It's simply wrong! Way to make judgements/assumptions of a stat-sheet.

Monahan night in / night out, was the best player on the 67's. That team was absolutely brutal losing guys like Toffoli, Ceci, Prince, McFarland, Graovac, etc. It was an extremely abrupt high to low situation in Ottawa, and Monahan did his best to hold that team together.

Fights, hits, scores, wins faceoffs, grinds, leads... He does everything for that franchise!
I'm sure MacKinnon wouldn't do as good in Ottawa as he would in Halifax. It's called a support staff.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Barkov is undoubtedly better. But based on where we will pick I went Monaghan

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Fights, hits, scores, wins faceoffs, grinds, leads... He does everything for that franchise!
I'm sure MacKinnon wouldn't do as good in Ottawa as he would in Halifax. It's called a support staff.

I'm sure he'd still put up monster numbers, just like Monahan. Remember, Halifax blew really hard until MacKinnon lead them in scoring as a 16-17 year old in his first year on a team that was more or less the same as the one that won I think under 25 games the year before.

Monahan is, unquestionably, the 4/5th best forward available in this draft. There no reason to put him down, or to downplay what he's managed to do on a dud of a team. He's an excellent player, that has the chance to be a major NHLer. From the games I've seen of his, and from his interviews; he's a hockey guy that could be a great player in the league.
Saying that. There's a reason Barkov is considered to be one of the top 3 forwards available this draft. They both have the ability to be dominant NHLers, Barkov's more ready and probably has the better offensive game to him. Monahan could easily be ready, and from his interviews, he's a coaches dream... a young kid who wants to secure the defensive end before he goes on offense; and had future captain written all over him.

Are there risks for both? Of course. Barkov's skating might never get there, and Monahan might not be able to play against people over 21 years old the same way he does. Both are dedicated to the game, and both have the ability to be stars. In different ways of course. Barkov with more flash, Monahan as a quiet leader.

At the end of the day,
Barkov > Monahan=Lindholm for me. The > is also quite small, but it's definitely there. All three of these kids will be great players, in their own right, is my belief.

Also, if people haven't checked out Lindholm's play, I put a WJC video in... the season wrap up thread. He's really fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad