Which active players are first-ballot Hall of Famers if they retired today?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Ovie Crosby Thornton are the only ones I'm certain of

I feel like Jagr could even do better than first ballot if he continue to play in Europe for a while (even if they have a strong rule post Gretzky they kind of went around it for Pronger) at least he is certainly a first ballot. Or is Jag 2nd Czech league do not count for pro hockey and he is already retired in the eye of the Hall ?

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
For first ballot guys I'd say:
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Thornton

Really wavering on Kane. He'll get in but the "first ballot" thing under the OP's parameters is a pretty tough standard. If you consider Jagr not retired yet than add him.

My Best-Carey
Patrick Kane will have 1000 points this year (barring injury). 2 most points in the decade 2010-19. Ross hart Lindsey Smythe. Three cups. He’s a lock if he retired today. Barring a scandal

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
First ballot or not depends on the other players up for voting that specific year.
Thus... Crosby, Ovie and possibly McDavid because I can't see him retiring at the same time as Crosby and Ovie.

I don't even feel safe naming Thornton because he could very possibly retire the same year as Chara, Jagr, Datsyuk and.... let's say, Duncan Keith (Thornton wouldn't be a lock to make it in this group)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Patrick Kane will have 1000 points this year (barring injury). 2 most points in the decade 2010-19. Ross hart Lindsey Smythe. Three cups. He’s a lock if he retired today. Barring a scandal

But he's not a lock to make it on first year of eligibility if he somehow retires the same year as Crosby, Ovie, Malkin, Keith, Lundqvist, Bergeron and Toews.

(That almost certainly won't happen and Kane might STILL make it in this group, but he wouldn't be a lock).

Reactions: frisco

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Crosby, Ovechkin, Jagr & one of Thornton, Chara or Malkin. I'm thinking probably Malkin (can only have 4 per year)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
As of right now:

Definitely First Ballot

Jagr
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Kane
Joe Thornton
Toews

Maybe First Ballot

Lundqvist
Keith
Chara
Erik Karlsson
Doughty

Keith is also a question mark for me. I'm pretty sure the others get in.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
Obviously Jagr is a mortal lock if hes still an active player. As is Ovechkin, Crosby, Thornton, Kane, Malkin, Chara

Those players I would put without a doubt.

Toews will surely get there, but I wouldnt put him as of now.

Imo, Keith, Doughty, Karlsson still have work to do, but I think all of them are going to make it, especially Karlsson who's still pretty young.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
There are so many in the league right now. Depends on the year I guess, but if you assume it's a normal year, I think all of these players would be 1st ballot:

"Full-career" guys

Chara
Datsyuk*
Jagr*
Keith
Lundqvist
Thornton
Zetterberg

Still building, but would still get in if they retired right now

Bergeron
Crosby
Doughty
Kane
Malkin
Ovechkin
Toews

Guys that would have a shot but I wouldn't call 100%

Backstrom
Getzlaf
Karlsson
Kopitar
Quick

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Obviously Jagr is a mortal lock if hes still an active player. As is Ovechkin, Crosby, Thornton, Kane, Malkin, Chara

Those players I would put without a doubt.

Toews will surely get there, but I wouldnt put him as of now.

Imo, Keith, Doughty, Karlsson still have work to do, but I think all of them are going to make it, especially Karlsson who's still pretty young.

The list of players with 2 Norris and 1 Conn Smythe who aren't already in the HHOF is comprised of only one player, and that's because this player is still active.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
The list of players with 2 Norris and 1 Conn Smythe who aren't already in the HHOF is comprised of only one player, and that's because this player is still active.

Yeah, I think I was a bit too harsh. Keith very likely makes the HHOF and he has the pedigree. I didnt remember he was 2x Norris winner. I'm getting old :D Doughty probably makes it too and nothing wrong with that. He's been an elite defender for many years. But imo Karlsson is better than both of them and younger. He will probably push top 20 all time defenders list.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Thoughts on Marc Andre fleury? I think he is a lock, I don’t see him on anyone’s list though. 3rd all time in wins, 5(?) Stanley cup final appearances, 3 cups. 4 all star games. 1st overall pick. He doesn’t have the hardware. But I think he’s got the rest of the resume.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Thoughts on Marc Andre fleury? I think he is a lock, I don’t see him on anyone’s list though. 3rd all time in wins, 5(?) Stanley cup final appearances, 3 cups. 4 all star games. 1st overall pick. He doesn’t have the hardware. But I think he’s got the rest of the resume.

Really hard for goaltender to get in first ballot.

Even Bernard Parent and Glenn Hall didn't get in first ballot I think (didn't wait for long and Parent year's had Hull-Mikita and Dryden obviously but still), Joseph is still waiting to get in and had great playoff run for 2 different Canadian teams.

There is even a "debate" to known if Luongo will be first ballot.

I do not think he is a first ballot lock(someone like Parent having to wait a year should put in perspective what level need to be achieved to be certain of a first ballot pick, you can have a crazy case of competing with many all time stars your year).

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

If someone like Malkin is arguably not even a lock to make it on his first year of eligibility (I can't quite fathom how he could miss it, and either way, it probably involves Malkin retiring the exact same year as Ovie, Crosby and Jagr and another player roughly on Malkin's level), then someone like Fleury is certainly not a lock.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think his 1st season in Vegas single-handedly put him in the conversation to eventually get in, but no way he'd be a first ballot guy. He has the win numbers, but his career in Pittsburgh was a roller coaster with arguably more downs than ups.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
If someone like Malkin is arguably not even a lock to make it on his first year of eligibility (I can't quite fathom how he could miss it, and either way, it probably involves Malkin retiring the exact same year as Ovie, Crosby and Jagr and another player roughly on Malkin's level), then someone like Fleury is certainly not a lock.

poor man's Osgood who got benched on 2 Cup runs

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Ovie, Crosby, Malkin, Bergeron, Kane, Quick, Keith, Seabrook, Thornton most probably.

First ballot ?

2003 draft will probably have a good competition of retiree around the same time around them, why Seabrook over say Weber or Burns, Staal, Getzlaf, etc....

Seabrook never went in the top 10 in Norris vote, Burns has 3 top 3.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
To give an idea in 2020 Iginla, Doan, Hossa become eligible, Alfredsson/Elias/Joseph/Lecavalier/Mogilny/Brad Richards/Roenick/Pierre Turgeon are recent retired on the waiting list, they usually name 2-3 nhler a year, if they retire this summer they would be the same class has Luongo I imagine.

In 2021 the Sedins become eligible.

If Alfredsson (face of a franchise captain with 1150 pts) isn't a first ballot in a year Carbonneau got in, that give a reference for the bar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad