Which active players are first-ballot Hall of Famers if they retired today?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
First ballot right now, today: Crosby, Ovechkin, Thornton.

Keith, Malkin, Lundqvist, Chara, and Kane can start drafting their speeches, but I don't know if they're first ballot as of today.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
As of right now:

Definitely First Ballot

Jagr
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Kane
Joe Thornton
Toews

Maybe First Ballot

Lundqvist
Keith
Chara
Erik Karlsson
Doughty

Looks good, and I'd add Bergeron. He's a lock now that Carbo is in, and he's the type who will get all the extra sympathy from the committee.

Kopitar, Weber and Getzlaf would be my next guys.

McDavid the special case. I ignore him for now but obviously he's a first ballot.

Reactions: snipes and StDevs

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Bergeron, Thornton, Karlsson, Doughty, Keith, Lundqvist, Toews, Kane, Kovalchuk.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Ovie, Crosby, Malkin, Bergeron, Kane, Quick, Keith, Seabrook, Thornton most probably.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
For first ballot guys I'd say:
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Thornton

Really wavering on Kane. He'll get in but the "first ballot" thing under the OP's parameters is a pretty tough standard. If you consider Jagr not retired yet than add him.

My Best-Carey

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
Crosby, Ovechkin, Keith, Malkin, Thornton, Bergeron, Chara, Lundqvist go first ballot if they all retired today.

Kane, Koptiar, Weber, and Karlsson have good chances as well, but not first ballot.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
First Ballot: Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin already were there before 2013.

as of right now: + Kane, Keith and Thornton, thats it for me.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Depend on the competition obviously if Malkin-Crosby-Ovechkin retire the same year, that could make it hard for anyone else that retire that year to be a first ballot, they would have to compete with Luongo I imagine.

Carbonneau is brought up but he waited a very long time to get in.

To put in perspective Daniel Alfredsson was not a first ballot guy, he is eligible since 2017 and not yet in Patrick Elias didn't get in last year, Theoren Fleury-Brind'Amour-Joseph-Mogilny-Roenick-Turgeon have been waiting for a while, you need to go over that group for today retirement (and if it is not for injury you could have some stigma of early / very early retirement of the game the committee could judge you on).

In that context, Thornton-Chara-Keith-Datsyuk (obviously Jagr if he is still active this season) would be good guess, there would be no surprising early retirement from them.

Ov-Crosby I would imagine would make quite the shock if they retired today but could still do it but McDavid would be such a big news that it is imagine the committee not wanting to vote him over waiting veteran, even if they would do it eventually (like Lindros had to wait probably for is business and rumored off the ice stories and short career but finally got in) .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad