Which active players are first-ballot Hall of Famers if they retired today?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Like always, many posters on HF don't have a good understanding of hall of fame standards. Many contemporary players will get in. Many more than some people realize.

The hall of fame is not just for Ovechkin/Crosby types.

Corey Perry will get in. Even a guy like Jeff Carter has a case.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
In the 2000s I think it has been in average 2.75 NHL player a year in average.
There have been 59 players inducted (not including players who went in as builders) since 2000. That's 2.95 players per year on average. I don't know where the idea of mediocre players getting into the HoF comes from. Finding a few players who are questionable doesn't mean the entire HoF is some kind of joke.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Like always, many posters on HF don't have a good understanding of hall of fame standards. Many contemporary players will get in. Many more than some people realize.

The hall of fame is not just for Ovechkin/Crosby types.

Corey Perry will get in. Even a guy like Jeff Carter has a case.

The question is first ballot, a standard being significantly higher than getting eventually into the hall.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Some of those player were inducted for what they did outside the NHL.
I guess that's true but the 59 players I am referring to were all NHL players at some point. Obviously some guys like Hasek, Fetisov, Larionov, Makarov, and Nedomansky started their careers overseas but all of them were NHL players and likely would have been HoF players if they just played in the NHL starting at 20 instead of later in their careers. Either way, the idea that it's easy to get into the Hockey HoF is pretty silly whether its 2.75 or 3 player a year.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The question is first ballot, a standard being significantly higher than getting eventually into the hall.

Not to mention that this standard is variable.

I mean, Ron Francis went on his first year of eligibility, but had Steve Yzerman decided to retire during the lockout instead of playing 05-06 when he was 40 years old and had absolutely nothing left to prove, Francis would've missed it.

And if Patrick Roy decided to play one more season (something he was eminently able to do, judging by how 02-03 went), then Ron Francis and one of Al McInnis, Scott Stevens or Mark Messier or hypothetical Steve Yzerman would've had to wait another year (okay, one of McInnis or Stevens -- there's no way Messier or hypothetical Yzerman isn't making it)

Reactions: MadLuke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad