GDT: Wherein the Hurricanes beat up elderly parliamentarians.

IronLion

Jan 14, 2021
After early season challenges, the PK has been noteworthy and we are now 5th in the League.
Maybe a dumb question, but are short-handed goals considered in the %’s/rankings. Believe we lead the league in shorties, so if you netted these against PP goals given up we’d rank even higher. But maybe that’s already how it works.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
My spicy takes from the game:

1) Maybe 5 of the top-10 prettiest passing plays of the entire season from Carolina came in the 1st period last night. They were going full bullet time with some of those tic-tac-toes

2) On my end of the ice Ottawa hit a lot of posts but Raanta was never beat on a shot. They hit those posts because posts were all that was available. Very good goaltending on the night.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Maybe a dumb question, but are short-handed goals considered in the %’s/rankings. Believe we lead the league in shorties, so if you netted these against PP goals given up we’d rank even higher. But maybe that’s already how it works.
No. PK% is just killing penalties.

Now net PK considers number of kills and adds in percentage of goals you score shorthanded.

Our Pk% for the year is 82.5. Our net PK is 88.1%

Since Black Friday our PK% is 84 and our net is 92%

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Correct. Net pk% factors in short handed goals scored. Adding those in takes us up to second place, right behind Boston.

Reactions: IronLion

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Im picking Boston to flame out early this year.
Their defense and goaltending is too good IMO. They aren't like FLA last year where they were high scoring but didn't play D and didn't have great goaltending. Or even like TBL in 18-19 where they were scoring at an insane rate, but just good, but not great at at preventing goals and were giving up a lot of shots.

Boston isn't giving up a lot of shots, is the stingiest team in the league in giving up goals and is still scoring at a high rate.

Still, getting past the 1st round means TBL or Tor in the 2nd round and that's going to be tough for them.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Their defense and goaltending is too good IMO. They aren't like FLA last year where they were high scoring but didn't play D and didn't have great goaltending. Or even like TBL in 18-19 where they were scoring at an insane rate, but just good, but not great at at preventing goals and were giving up a lot of shots.

Boston isn't giving up a lot of shots, is the stingiest team in the league in giving up goals and is still scoring at a high rate.

Still, getting past the 1st round means TBL or Tor in the 2nd round and that's going to be tough for them.
Well, there is a satisfying factor seeing another team lift the Cup on their ice

Last edited:
Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022

I base this on nothing but I think Ullmark is vaporware. He isn't an elite goalie, he's just a great system goalie.

We shouldn't be worrying about the Atlantic though. They will have their own gauntlet. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of TB, Boston or Toronto in the ECF.

We should be worrying about a NYR. A team that beat Carolina last year and now added Tarasenko plus (inevitably) Patrick Kane.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I base this on nothing but I think Ullmark is vaporware. He isn't an elite goalie, he's just a great system goalie.

We shouldn't be worrying about the Atlantic though. They will have their own gauntlet. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of TB, Boston or Toronto in the ECF.

We should be worrying about a NYR. A team that beat Carolina last year and now added Tarasenko plus (inevitably) Patrick Kane.
I wasn't worried about them, I was only commenting on my thoughts on them being a team that flames out.

No team in the east has an easy road to the cup.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
I wasn't worried about them, I was only commenting on my thoughts on them being a team that flames out.

Yeah I was just addressing the conversation in general, not your post. I'm bad about that. Your post doesn't stoke unwarranted fear for Boston.

The main reddit post recently pointed out that #1 in the West gets you a wildcard spot in the East. It's rough in the streets.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

if ever there was a year to finish first in the Division, this is it.

2x3 series are going to be energy sapping. Have to hope that Boston gets knocked out so we get the extra home game in Conference Finals.

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Last year, it felt like we were dying on the vine a little around this time but it doesn't feel that way now. March 13 - 30 could give a preview of playoffs to come with (any) new pieces in place. Looks close to a murderers' row.

Canes March.jpg

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
My spicy takes from the game:

2) On my end of the ice Ottawa hit a lot of posts but Raanta was never beat on a shot. They hit those posts because posts were all that was available. Very good goaltending on the night.
Raanta was awesome. This is maybe pure speculative bullshit but it feels correct to me. It seems that what makes Raanta tick is if he plays on a once-a-week rhythm. He's really excellent in small stretches. When he has to play 2 or 3 times in a week, his body seems to break down. He is the definition of a great backup.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
just to add onto this.

Canes have outshot opponents 43 times this season and are 31-8-4: .767 points %
Canes have been outshot/tied in shots 14 times this season and are : .714 points %

Statistically, there's probably no difference in those points % numbers given the sample sizes. Even if there is, the Canes have good outcomewhen outshooting opponents and when not outshooting opponents. For reference, a .714 points % would be the 2nd best points % in the NHL right now and better than the .707 the Canes had last year.

A .714 points % equates to a 117 point season. Imma go out on a limb and posit that 117 points would qualify a team for the playoffs most seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad