Where would Ovechkin go in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I seen both play numerous time and I still think Ovechkin has more potential. Crosby has some great offensive skills but physical game goes to Ovechkin without a doubt. On top of that Ovechkin has blistering speed, excellent shot and deceptive movements.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
in the hall said:
damn right it is.. these owners care more about the all mighty dollar and that in effect leads to winning with all the opportunities and options created

Carmelo vr Lebron who went higher and why?
ParisSaintGermain is dead on...

Then again, Melo was picked 3rd overall after Darko Milicic, after Melo led the Orangemen went all the way. If the Pistons wanted to do the best thing for PR, Melo would've been in Detroit, but they took a chance on Darko.

Exception to the rule ^

But yeah, Crosby would get taken higher. 1/2 PR, 1/2 hype. Ovechkin will be good, but would be taken 2nd overall if Crosby was in his draft year.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Foppa_Rules said:
Who in their right mind would take Crosby over Ovechkin?! What's Crosby ever done?

Put it this way, it is almost impossible for him to have done any more in his 16 years than he has done. He's done more than anyone before him.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
It all depends on the team.....If I was Boston I would take Ovechkin because we have Thornton for a long time. If I was NJ I would take Ovechkin because Gomez, Parise, Vrana, Madden...no need for a center. If I were Columbus I would take Crosby......get my drift.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
pittengineer said:
+/- is an overated personal stat. It is a team stat. Even bad players on good teams will have players with high +/-, and vice versa.

Its so hard to compare the two because of the different leagues. Both have pros and cons.

OK,its a team stat. But by some strange coincidence Crosby's team does a lot better when he's on the ice. Thus the second in the league plus/minus and highest per game. Another coincidence is that he has a highest in the league lead in plus/minus over his team mates, 12 points over Roussin in second...wait a minute thats not a coincidence, Roussin 's his line mate. So how about highest in the league lead over third on the team, 29 points...You won't find that on ANY team in the "Q", "O", "W" or NHL or RSL (I didn't look, so prove me wrong)

This "team stat" of Crosby's is every bit as, or more, impressive than his offensive numbers...or he could be just lucky. ;)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
It all depends on the team.....If I was Boston I would take Ovechkin because we have Thornton for a long time. If I was NJ I would take Ovechkin because Gomez, Parise, Vrana, Madden...no need for a center. If I were Columbus I would take Crosby......get my drift.

I'm not a big fan of drafting by needs. To me you can't have too many Joe Thornton's. It's all about assets. Lecavalier's trade value and Legwand's trade value are astronomically different in my opinion, but I remember a lot of people saying those two COULD have been drafted either way depending on team needs.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
ducksflytogether said:
Then again, Melo was picked 3rd overall after Darko Milicic, after Melo led the Orangemen went all the way. If the Pistons wanted to do the best thing for PR, Melo would've been in Detroit, but they took a chance on Darko.

Exception to the rule ^

But yeah, Crosby would get taken higher. 1/2 PR, 1/2 hype. Ovechkin will be good, but would be taken 2nd overall if Crosby was in his draft year.
come on now.. you know what the scenerio was...

pistons were/are a probable nba finals contender... darko has the better upside as a big man with some nasty skills.. they can pick whoever they want because of the time they have to spare for development

Mr.Brownov*

X-SHARKIE said:
Crosby is the natural IMO.
Nothing on Ovy but man Crosby is amazing to watch.
IMO,Ovechkin would be a natural ;BUT IN A MAN'S LEAGUE!The Q is soft,and the refs have been soft with Crosby.How can you say Sidney's a natural?He's not defensively sound yet,as Ovechkin has always been.Wow,the kid has offense woooo.The kid has also been given a green light from the referees of the Q because of his believed future stardom.If he was in the WHL or even the OHL,I think we would see a different Crosby.He's 16 and still unproven in my notes.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Mr.Brownov said:
IMO,Ovechkin would be a natural ;BUT IN A MAN'S LEAGUE!The Q is soft,and the refs have been soft with Crosby.How can you say Sidney's a natural?He's not defensively sound yet,as Ovechkin has always been.Wow,the kid has offense woooo.The kid has also been given a green light from the referees of the Q because of his believed future stardom.If he was in the WHL or even the OHL,I think we would see a different Crosby.He's 16 and still unproven in my notes.
Yeah pretty much only in your note :joker: :joker:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
The thing that everyone seems to be forgetting is that Sid isn't eligible for this year's draft due to his age. As such, Ovechkin is a NO BRAINER for 1st overall. Everything submitted about that russian league being a defensive and mature league is exactly right. This guy will have a year or two of being the talk of the league, but look out for Sid.

I've seen El Sid play since he was little (I'm from Fall River, which is less than 10 mins from Dartmouth, NS), and you'd swear he was 6'4" 235 lbs the way he dominates. While Ovy might turn into a Federov, Crosby could turn into a Gretzky.

Mr.Brownov*

L3DZ3P said:
Yeah pretty much only in your note :joker: :joker:
Oh that's a great response to my post you f'n loser!Why don't you try to give something insightful to the board.Hehehe,go play tennis!

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Ovechkin doesn't even show up in the top 45 point scorers in the Russia Superleague.In every challenge Crosby has been given he has exceeded expectations.Being 2 years older and being bigger may pull some weight
in Ovechkins favour but do you really think a GM would take a risk on
being left out of Sidney's potential upside.The decisive factor would be
Sidney's marketing ability.People are paying $100.00 to see Sidney play
in the Q. Rimouski has been totally caught off guard with the marketing
potential of merchandise and game broadcasts,etc.Sidney is certainly
the most exciting hockey player to come along in a long while.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
pei fan said:
Ovechkin doesn't even show up in the top 45 point scorers in the Russia Superleague.In every challenge Crosby has been given he has exceeded expectations.Being 2 years older and being bigger may pull some weight
in Ovechkins favour but do you really think a GM would take a risk on
being left out of Sidney's potential upside.The decisive factor would be
Sidney's marketing ability.People are paying $100.00 to see Sidney play
in the Q. Rimouski has been totally caught off guard with the marketing
potential of merchandise and game broadcasts,etc.Sidney is certainly
the most exciting hockey player to come along in a long while.

Like I said, it's a man's league. I bet most of the guys who are in the top 45 are in their prime(26-30). Unlike the CHL where everyone is within 5 years of each other in age. Remember, Ovechkin has played in the RSL since he was 16.

Crosby is going to be good, but he is going to have to adjust his game to the NHL alot more the Ovechkin will.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
not bashing ovechkin at all, but i see that he has 23 pts in 53 games this season in the rsl. last year he had 16 pts in 40 games. is he stagnating, or is there any other explanation for lack of significant improvement in stats?

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Dark Metamorphosis said:
not bashing ovechkin at all, but i see that he has 23 pts in 53 games this season in the rsl. last year he had 16 pts in 40 games. is he stagnating, or is there any other explanation for lack of significant improvement in stats?

Actually, 23 points in 53 games(44% chance of scoring) is better that 16 in 40 games(40%).

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
pittengineer said:
Crosby is going to be good, but he is going to have to adjust his game to the NHL alot more the Ovechkin will.

Do you really think this is a big deal? How long did it take Nash or Bouwmeester to adjust to the NHL? You could just as easily say it'll take Ovechkin a long time to adjust to North American hockey.

It's all just preference. I'd take Crosby. Others would take Ovechkin. But we'll have to wait until they're in the NHL to see who's better. Maybe they'll be equally great.

But saying Crosby will be better because he's getting a million points in junior is just as ridiculous as saying Ovechkin will be better because he plays in a men's league. I don't think one argument holds any more water than the other.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
pittengineer said:
Actually, 23 points in 53 games(44% chance of scoring) is better that 16 in 40 games(40%).
i wouldn't consider that significant improvement. im just wondering why his stats havent improved that much.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Dark Metamorphosis said:
i wouldn't consider that significant improvement. im just wondering why his stats havent improved that much.

Yea i know. I havent seen him play outside of the WJC's. My guess would be that you will rarely see huge increase in a players stats in the RSL. Thats just a guess though.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
The RSL is a low-scoring league. Especially Dynamo is a defensive team. Kovachuk even said he would never fit into the Dynamo system because it would be too defensive for him. Also consider the impact Kovalchuk is having in the NHL and the fact that he never made it into the Superleage. Ovechkin made it at 16. Also consider the fact that Ovechkin got more points at the Juniors than Kovy did and the fact that Ovechkin broke Pavel Bure's record for under-12 scoring and he also broke Maltsev's record. Sid is playing against children. If he dominates so much why doesn't he move up to the next level? You aren't supposed to just sit at the same level of competition. Ovechkin didn't. He moved up to the second best league in the world. Where is Sid? Still playing against children with special treatment from all of Canada and the refs and the players.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Seachd said:
Do you really think this is a big deal? How long did it take Nash or Bouwmeester to adjust to the NHL? You could just as easily say it'll take Ovechkin a long time to adjust to North American hockey.

It's all just preference. I'd take Crosby. Others would take Ovechkin. But we'll have to wait until they're in the NHL to see who's better. Maybe they'll be equally great.

But saying Crosby will be better because he's getting a million points in junior is just as ridiculous as saying Ovechkin will be better because he plays in a men's league. I don't think one argument holds any more water than the other.

I never said Ovechkin will be better because he plays in a man's league, just more prepared.

Hemmer

Foppa_Rules said:
The RSL is a low-scoring league. Especially Dynamo is a defensive team. Kovachuk even said he would never fit into the Dynamo system because it would be too defensive for him. Also consider the impact Kovalchuk is having in the NHL and the fact that he never made it into the Superleage. Ovechkin made it at 16. Also consider the fact that Ovechkin got more points at the Juniors than Kovy did and the fact that Ovechkin broke Pavel Bure's record for under-12 scoring and he also broke Maltsev's record. Sid is playing against children. If he dominates so much why doesn't he move up to the next level? You aren't supposed to just sit at the same level of competition. Ovechkin didn't. He moved up to the second best league in the world. Where is Sid? Still playing against children with special treatment from all of Canada and the refs and the players.

Crosby has broken records too, as mentioned by others in this thread. Records that were set by better players than Bure too.

Umm...because there are rules and laws in place that prevent 16 year olds from playing in the AHL or NHL?

Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't an offensively talented player be playing in a league/system/team that allows him to showcase his talents and develop offensively? Sure, he is becoming a more complete player...but a 4% increase in statistical scoring is kind of pathetic if you ask me...regardless of how complete this guy is becoming. If the RSL is really as "defensive" as you say, by the time the draft rolls around, Ovechkin will be a third-line checker :rolly:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad