Where would Ovechkin go in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoaLiE12

Mar 14, 2004
i'd still throw him at the top, because wherever he goes he should have an imediate impact

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
GoaLiE12 said:
i'd still throw him at the top, because wherever he goes he should have an imediate impact

I still put him at #1. Ovechkin plays in the 2nd best league in the world with players in their prime(approx 26-30). The RSL is extremely defensive unlike most leagues. Thats why no one playing in that league will every have 150 points or whatever. Crosby plays in a lesser league with players more close to his age. The CHL is also more offensive. This is not to take away from Crosby as I think he will be a great goal scorer. I just like Ovechkin better because he is more two-way player and has better size than Crosby.

That being said, I still think it would be a coin flip for the #1 spot between the two if both were in the 2005 draft.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
Most Gms would take the chance on Crosby and take Ovechkin #2....thats what I would do at least.

After what happened this season I agree. Crosby is ahead of Ovechkin, but Alex is still the number two guy ahead of Brule. Many scouts have said that if Crosby continues to develop he is very likely to be a significant, impact player in the 2005-06 NHL season.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
For marketing reasons, I think Crosby would be picked up first IMO, even if Ovechkin development is way ahead.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Foppa_Rules said:
No way. Ovechkin would go #1. Ovechkin would have an immediate impact. Crosby would need more time.
Hey Mr.Biased himself nice to see you else where than on the Sidney Crosby Thread only to bash him.Imo just flip a coin between Crosby and Ovechkin both will be awesome .I must admit that Ovechkin is probably more physically ready for the nhl but in 2005 Sidney will be 18 so he will be more mature physically as well .

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
ParisSaintGermain said:
For marketing reasons, I think Crosby would be picked up first IMO, even if Ovechkin development is way ahead.

Yes because marketing is more important than winning. Winning never fills the stands.

2 sweet

Apr 3, 2002
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
Who in their right mind would take Crosby over Ovechkin?! What's Crosby ever done?
not much, he' just dominating the Q at 16, join the elite group of spezza, bouwmeester, lindross and the great one to make canada under 20 team at 16, beats some 25 years old record for the most assist in one season in the Q and was the leading scorer of the chl. :dunno:

X-SHARKIE

Foppa_Rules said:
Who in their right mind would take Crosby over Ovechkin?! What's Crosby ever done?

I think theres sarcasim in this sentence.... Crosby has that third sense that makes some players great..... He is usually 2 steps ahead of this opponents mentally. I cant say that about Ovechkin. Crosby's skills are no slouch either compared to Ovechkin...Ovechkin is has had a few years on Crosby now to mature physically. Crosby is already standing 5-11 at age 16....He could hit 6-1 or so.

Crosby is the natural IMO.
Nothing on Ovy but man Crosby is amazing to watch.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
Don_Cherry said:
Yes because marketing is more important than winning. Winning never fills the stands.
damn right it is.. these owners care more about the all mighty dollar and that in effect leads to winning with all the opportunities and options created

Carmelo vr Lebron who went higher and why?
ParisSaintGermain is dead on...

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Don_Cherry said:

Both players should provide winning so I opted to have another angle.
Winning filling the stands... Not so true:
New Jersey Devils (stanley cup winner 2003) home attendance this year:
14,819 out of 19040 places, 23 in the NHL. 77.8% for the capacity (26th of the NHL).

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
2 sweet said:
not much, he' just dominating the Q at 16, join the elite group of spezza, bouwmeester, lindross and the great one to make canada under 20 team at 16, beats some 25 years old record for the most assist in one season in the Q and was the leading scorer of the chl. :dunno:

If Ovechkin was up against Crosby, Latendresse and Brule in 04 I think they would go Crosby, Ovechkin, Brule then Latendresse.

If Ovechkin was up against Crosby, Latendresse and Brule in 05 I think they would go Crosby, Latendresse, Ovechkin then Brule.

Of the 4 Latendresse is the most physical and Crosby is obviously the best offensively but both Latendresse and Crosby are "WAY" underrated defensively because they are both 16 and playing in the Q, when in fact they both lead their teams in plus/minus and Crosby lead the whole Q in plus/minus on a per game basis (he missed games for the WJC's). Crosby and his linemate Jeff Tambellini were the only Canadians not on the ice for a goal against even strength or otherwise at the WJC's although that was half a "career" ago if you consider Crosby's Junior career so far.

Brule's offensive stats are similar to Latendresse but his plus/minus are average (around 0, which is repectable for a 17 year od rookie but not outstanding). He is given credit for playing in the tough "W" but if Latendresse at 16 played in the "W" it would be a tougher league still.

That being said Ovechkin "does" play in a "men's" league against more mature players, although, to it's credit, I doubt it is as dirty as the NHL or the CHL leagues in terms of cheap shots. This should help Ovechkin when he reaches the NHL as taking cheap shots to the head does "NOT" make it easier to take more cheap shots in the future. Ovechkin may be the best player of the 4 as it stands today. However he's more than a year older than Brule, and more than a year and a half older than Latendresse and Crosby (almost 2 years). Ovechkin is as "old as you get" while still being "04 draft elligible (first year elligible age), while Crosby is as"young as you get" while still being "05 draft elligible".

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I'd personally take highest upside over NHL readiness. For me, that's Crosby.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
Thankyou for not being biased in saying Ovechkin is the best of the four today, but I disagree about Crosby going first overall in either the 2004 or the 2005 Draft.

Thank-you, but you "may" have missed the "may be the best as it stands today".

How do you think Ovechkin would place against the "03s" both now and then?

I'd still take the "Novy" over Ovy. If Sid was a little younger he'd be an 06. That would be painful waiting wouldn't it?

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Crosbyfan said:
If Ovechkin was up against Crosby, Latendresse and Brule in 04 I think they would go Crosby, Ovechkin, Brule then Latendresse.

If Ovechkin was up against Crosby, Latendresse and Brule in 05 I think they would go Crosby, Latendresse, Ovechkin then Brule.

Of the 4 Latendresse is the most physical and Crosby is obviously the best offensively but both Latendresse and Crosby are "WAY" underrated defensively because they are both 16 and playing in the Q, when in fact they both lead their teams in plus/minus and Crosby lead the whole Q in plus/minus on a per game basis (he missed games for the WJC's). Crosby and his linemate Jeff Tambellini were the only Canadians not on the ice for a goal against even strength or otherwise at the WJC's although that was half a "career" ago if you consider Crosby's Junior career so far.

Brule's offensive stats are similar to Latendresse but his plus/minus are average (around 0, which is repectable for a 17 year od rookie but not outstanding). He is given credit for playing in the tough "W" but if Latendresse at 16 played in the "W" it would be a tougher league still.

That being said Ovechkin "does" play in a "men's" league against more mature players, although, to it's credit, I doubt it is as dirty as the NHL or the CHL leagues in terms of cheap shots. This should help Ovechkin when he reaches the NHL as taking cheap shots to the head does "NOT" make it easier to take more cheap shots in the future. Ovechkin may be the best player of the 4 as it stands today. However he's more than a year older than Brule, and more than a year and a half older than Latendresse and Crosby (almost 2 years). Ovechkin is as "old as you get" while still being "04 draft elligible (first year elligible age), while Crosby is as"young as you get" while still being "05 draft elligible".

+/- is an overated personal stat. It is a team stat. Even bad players on good teams will have players with high +/-, and vice versa.

Its so hard to compare the two because of the different leagues. Both have pros and cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->