Where will Leon Draisaitl rank all-time by the end of his career?

all-time ranking

• Top 10

Votes: 21 4.3%
  • Top 25

Votes: 144 29.3%
  • Top 50

Votes: 182 37.1%
  • Top 100

Votes: 108 22.0%
  • Outside top 100

Votes: 36 7.3%

• Total voters

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
He's going to continue to be underrated like Malkin was since he's in McDavid's shadow. Imo he ends up around where Sakic, Yzerman, and Malkin are. Top 30ish.
Its so hard to rank all those guys because are we going for peak, career, a combination of both?

Personally I would not rank Drai over any of - Yzerman/Sakic/Malkin/Fedorov/Forsberg, but with a long and healthy career maybe he can pass one of them, its going to take multiple cups though (no they aren't everything but they are something, especially when all the rest have done it multiple times)

Reactions: Peat

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Its so hard to rank all those guys because are we going for peak, career, a combination of both?

Personally I would not rank Drai over any of - Yzerman/Sakic/Malkin/Fedorov/Forsberg, but with a long and healthy career maybe he can pass one of them, its going to take multiple cups though (no they aren't everything but they are something, especially when all the rest have done it multiple times)
Yea definitely a mix of peak and career, individual and team. Projecting a bit and assuming he wins a cup or two. But based on his prime so far he holds up well with that group.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
If he wins a cup, I would say Top25.

If not he is a safe Top50.

If he is winning multiple cups + maybe a Conn Smythe he could flirt with Top10

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Too early to tell. Within top 100 is debatable right now which means he like finishes high. Best German of all time AINEC.
Kießling and Kühnhackl are still widely regarded as the top two of all time in Germany, Draisaitl will need more than just impressive regular season point totals in Edmonton before he can become more than the best German NHL player of all time.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
His age 27 season is almost over. Currently has 305-434-739 points in 635 GP. Also 18-41-59 points in 37 playoff GP. Assuming his health keeps up, he will be hitting 1000 career points in just over 2 seasons based on his production over the last 3 seasons. So at the start of his age 30 season. 500 goals is around 4 seasons away assuming a 50 goal pace keeps up (that is a huge ask).

His current top 5 point finishes are:

Goals - 2, 2, 3, 4, 4
Assists - 1, 2, 4
Points - 1, 2, 2, 4, 4

Some other notable top 5 finishes:

PPG - 1, 1, 2, 2
GWG - 1, 1, 1, 3
Shooting% - 1, 1, 3, 4

Top 5 adjusted Points finishes:

128, 127, 122, 106, 105

This is a very impressive resume at 27, up there as one of the best this century.

He is one of the most unique talents to ever play in the NHL. His combination of speed, strength, puck protection, elite passing and shooting is one of the most complete offensive skillsets in league history (IMO obviously). That he plays on the same team as a future potential top 5 player ever does hurt his reputation to some. But I do think he will go down as one of the better European players ever, and a top 25 player ever.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I think at his current trajectory top 15 easy. If he hits a few more 100 + point seasons and wins a cup, he will have one of the most consistent and impressive offensive production in history.

His playoff numbers thus far are off the charts. It can only go down in PPG , and if it goes up , top 10 easy.

• Haha
Reactions: TheStatican

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
He is trending for a top 50 spot right now but a lot of his career is still left to play out and he could reach top 25ish sure.
His career projected out to its most plausible arc suggests a top-50 placement. He can't be reasonably expected to have Sakic's Indian Summer. [Suppose it's not impossible, though.] However. I don't think he's going to have a post-age-30 two-seamer like Trottier, either.

Post-season heroics might lift this a bit. Since he's outscored his more-famous teammate (both rate & total) in The Playoffs, this remains within the realm of possibility.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I think at his current trajectory top 15 easy. If he hits a few more 100 + point seasons and wins a cup, he will have one of the most consistent and impressive offensive production in history.

His playoff numbers thus far are off the charts. It can only go down in PPG , and if it goes up , top 10 easy.

Current trajectory? Drai is 27 and only has 3 individual awards, only 1 top 5 hart finish, only 1 AST and no cups. The players in the top 15 all have some combination of 10+ individual awards/ASTs, multiple hart nominations, cups, etc. Forget all time just look at active players. Drai has absolutely no chance to pass McDavid, Crosby or OV. Very unlikely to pass Malkin or Kane because of their playoff success. That's already 5 and it's not including guys in his generation like Kucherov (who is comfortably ahead of Drai), Makar, MacK, Matthews who can be argued over him. Drai will never sniff the top 20 all time unless he magically finds another gear to rack up individual hardware or go on multiple Smythe worthy playoff runs.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s definitely going to age well IMO - at least from a purely point scoring perspective. Drai’s never been a speedster and we saw him direct the offense on one leg in the playoffs.

With his vision, shot and condor-like reach - his old man game in the offensive zone is going to be effective long after his skating legs start to slow down. Combined with his endurance - it’s going to result in some pretty impressive stat-compilation by the end of his career.

I don’t think his all-around game puts him in the Yzerman/Sakic/Trottier tier at this point even with the stats accrual but let’s see where things head. Winning a couple Cups as a ‘veteran’ would make his potential resume pretty amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad