Speculation: Where Will Chiarot Be Traded?

Where will Chiarot be trades?

• Calgary Flames

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • St. Louis Blues

Votes: 48 38.1%
  • Florida Panthers

Votes: 16 12.7%
  • Carolina Hurricanes

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Toronto Maple Leafs

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • New York Rangers

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Los Angeles Kings

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Boston Bruins

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
A Chiarot - Gudas pairing would be a nightmare to face.
A nightmare that turns into a dream more often than not.

He'd be much better suited with Montour on the 3rd pairing.

Unless Florida's coach can teach Chiarot to be both smart and physical in the way he plays defence. Or unless Bob goes full Price and saves his butt whenever he gets out of position and this creates a golden scoring chances.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Lundkvist is only slightly better than Norlinder, I'd want someone else. Yeah I'm sure they'll get better, but Norlinder just doesn't have "it" when I watch him.

That's kind of my feeling as well. I rather someone else. I don't hate Lundkvist but he has had a fair amount of time playing against men in the SHL and this year in the NHL/AHL. He has not shined out of the gate like expected (pre NHL). He's basically moved from Grade A prospect to Grade B or B+ this season.
Clearly needs to develop his defensive game and I see him possibly on a Sandin track. Good skating and offense but will be taken advantage of in his own end. Can he figure it out and be an exception? Possible but that's hope at this stage

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
That's kind of my feeling as well. I rather someone else. I don't hate Lundkvist but he has had a fair amount of time playing against me in the SHL and this year in the NHL/AHL. He has not shined out of the gate like expected (pre NHL). He's basically moved from Grade A prospect to Grade B or B+ this season.
Clearly needs to develop his defensive game and I see him possibly on a Sandin track. Good skating and offense but will be taken advantage of in his own end. Can he figure it out and be an exception? Possible but that's hope at this stage
Well said. If he was a flat out great offensive prospect, one could live with his defensive woes.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A nightmare that turns into a dream more often than not.

He'd be much better suited with Montour on the 3rd pairing.

Unless Florida's coach can teach Chiarot to be both smart and physical in the way he plays defence. Or unless Bob goes full Price and saves his ass whenever he gets out of position and this creates a golden scoring chances.

Panthers can use him on LD regardless of where they prefer him to play.

The part where you think you need to teach Chiarot to play smart is just false. Attacking his flaws can be applied to so many other defenseman with that kind of usage/ice time. Chiarot is a legit top 4D and what matters the most is the chemistry he has with his partner.

Attacking Chiarot's flaws is like some Leafs fans saying Muzzin sucks. Muzzin goes down with an injury and their team D is shattered with ripple effects. Basically, when the coach leans on a player in the D zone a lot, they stand to be more open to the mistakes you see but that becomes an obsession where his value is devalued (incorrectly). He's not Hedman FFS

Reactions: dcyhabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well said. If he was a flat out great offensive prospect, one could live with his defensive woes.

Agreed. If the guy is meh in his own end but putting up points on the PP and moving the puck well in open space, then you can live with it. So the question I have is does he go on a Sandin path or does he figure it out? Not sure so if we make a trade with the Rangers for Chiarot, Lundkvist can't be the only big piece coming back. He's now a grade B+ that could very well trend towards grade B.

Tough pill to swallow but with the Rangers, it has to be Lundkvist and their 1st rounder (I'd take the 2023 pick with top 10 protection as my first choice).

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
I’ll say it will be the Rangers just to bet the dark horse. Too many connections between the two organizations, and he’s exactly the type of defenseman that Gallant loves to have in the lineup.

I think they’ll get a top prospect, and I’ll predict it’s Braden Schneider. Right handed shot defenseman that the Rangers can afford to give up with their depth in the system.
I hope you,re correct.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I'm good trading him to either, especially if we got Knies in return. Won't happen but one can dream :)
I really like Chiarot though and would like to be able to continue cheering for him in the playoffs. I don't follow prospects so can't comment on Kneis

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm good trading him to either, especially if we got Knies in return. Won't happen but one can dream :)

Knies is the kind of forward I would like to add for sure. But the Leafs are not escaping their playoff team needs and cap space without digging into futures. I have no doubt in my mind that Dubas is trying to send Mrazek the other way too. That's only going to force him to dig into futures even more. He's in a very tough spot. Do nothing and it's another core prime year waste. Do something and he has to rip into the futures.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I’ll say it will be the Rangers just to bet the dark horse. Too many connections between the two organizations, and he’s exactly the type of defenseman that Gallant loves to have in the lineup.

I think they’ll get a top prospect, and I’ll predict it’s Braden Schneider. Right handed shot defenseman that the Rangers can afford to give up with their depth in the system.
No way the Rags trade him for Ben Chiarot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad