Where Does Your Heart Lie With the Rebuild At the Moment?

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
We gotta bomb for Lil 'J.
But Foote would be good too. We just need another rielly esque dman.
I would be super happy if we just got super lucky, but its better to be safe than sorry.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Liljegren is a dream scenario for 2 years in a row. Just don't see the stars aligning again.
Voted for karma, whatever happens, happens.

One can dream about that core tho.

Matthews - marner
Nylander

Rielly-Liljegren

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
play out the year, show growth.

i will fist pump and cheer every loss (winning means nothing to me this year)

and i will stare blankly at wins.

clear the slate of pending UFAs come TD and draft as high as [possible, maybe even land a franchise D man , seeing that in my 41 years of following , i might if seen 1
Salming?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Just play hard and to the best of your ability, win or lose doesn't matter

This. Time to see what we have. There will be no tanking

Here's a multiple choice question with just two choices.

It's mid March. Leafs are in the 26th/27th slot. They are just 1 or 2 points away from 29th/30th.

What do you think the Leafs management should do:

1. Make moves to try to slide down to 29th/30th.
  2. Make moves to move up one or two slots to let's say 25th/26th slot.

It's a binary scenario. You can choose either alternative #1, or alternative #2.

Last edited:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Just let them play. It's unlikely that they finish better than 25th and you can just cross your fingers and toes that we win a lottery spot.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne

It's mid March. Leafs are in the 26th/27th slot. They are just 1 or 2 points away from 29th/30th.

It's a binary scenario. You can choose either alternative #1, or alternative #2.
That's not real life though. Of course the Leafs wouldn't make moves to try to move up if they were in the 26th/27th area.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

That's not real life though. Of course the Leafs wouldn't make moves to try to move up if they were in the 26th/27th area.

Thanks. ;)

So, would they make moves to move down to 29th/30th then (in the above scenario)?

And suppose they did, would that be bad?

Last edited:

Sproo

Jul 3, 2008
Vancouver
There should be another option in this vote that goes something like this:

"Go into the season trying to win ... if playoffs look impossible after xmas then purge the veterans & play our worst goalies as much as possible"

Strategically tanking for a lottery pick before the season even starts is fantasy. But if the season looks hopeless then you can consider making roster moves that may result in a little slide down the standings.

We don't have to be so "Black & White" on this issue. Positions like "Tank Baby Tank" and "Playoffs Baby!" are extreme caricatures of how to run a team. Flexibility and circumstantial reasoning is essential.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Say we end up with 5th overall, would people endorse an over payment for Liljegren to move up? Obviously keep Nylander, Matthews, Rielly, Marner and Andersen.

Say, 5th OA + Kadri or Bozak + JVR or Gardiner + two 2nds?

I mean Liljegren fits the timeline perfectly and plays the right side, he's just the perfect piece. I'd add to that proposal if necessary.

JVR is replaceable, so is Kadri/Bozak or Gardiner but Liljegren is only available by draft.

Last edited:

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
It's not a huge deal but the Vegas pick kind of sucks in there too.

Oh yes, Vegas. They're an expansion team, so they are likely to suck big time. Still, even if we fall to fifth, the likelihood of drafting another real good young RHD, Cal Foote should still be in the cards. I hope so anyway!

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Say we end up with 5th overall, would people endorse an over payment for Liljegren to move up? Obviously keep Nylander, Matthews, Rielly, Marner and Andersen.

Say, 5th OA + Kadri or Bozak + JVR or Gardiner + two 2nds?

I mean Liljegren fits the timeline perfectly and plays the right side, he's just the perfect piece. I'd add to that proposal if necessary.

JVR is replaceable, so is Kadri/Bozak or Gardiner but Liljegren is only available by draft.

I would move the 5th OA and JVR in a heartbeat.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
Oh yes, Vegas. They're an expansion team, so they are likely to suck big time. Still, even if we fall to fifth, the likelihood of drafting another real good young RHD, Cal Foote should still be in the cards. I hope so anyway!

Ahh I didn't think Vegas would be in the 2017 draft, thought they would have to play a full season before they got to pick. Damn

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
I like the structure the organization has now in the next 1-3 years we need to see Mark Hunter's draft picks start to payoff that's the real key to the rebuild. As of now there's not much to grade until we see some progress in the home grown talent.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Vegas will pick in the 2017 draft.

From NHL.com
2017 NHL Draft Lottery

The Las Vegas franchise will be given the same odds in the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season.

The Las Vegas franchise's First Round selection in the 2017 NHL Draft will be determined in accordance with the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery and, as a result, the Las Vegas franchise will be guaranteed no lower than the sixth overall selection.

The Las Vegas franchise then will select third in each subsequent round of the 2017 NHL Draft (subject to trades and other potential player transactions).

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We're not going to make the playoffs with a roster full of rookies this year, but I'll be cheering for wins. I figure we'll be bottom 10 and then even without some more lottery luck we'll pick up another excellent prospect. We won't get Liljegren or whoever the #1 ranked dman is, but if we end up 9th and get a guy like Werenski or Sergachev that's a huge piece for us. The real boost is the extra year of development, we might actually sniff the playoffs with a team full of sophomores next year.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
Vegas will pick in the 2017 draft.

From NHL.com
2017 NHL Draft Lottery

The Las Vegas franchise will be given the same odds in the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season.

The Las Vegas franchise's First Round selection in the 2017 NHL Draft will be determined in accordance with the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery and, as a result, the Las Vegas franchise will be guaranteed no lower than the sixth overall selection.

The Las Vegas franchise then will select third in each subsequent round of the 2017 NHL Draft (subject to trades and other potential player transactions).

Pretty good luck for a franchise to start off by getting no worse than the 6th overall selection, in the first round. Then getting the third pick in each of the following rounds. Here's hoping they put another NHL team in Canada soon!

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Pretty good luck for a franchise to start off by getting no worse than the 6th overall selection, in the first round. Then getting the third pick in each of the following rounds. Here's hoping they put another NHL team in Canada soon!
I think the league has realized that you need to give an expansion team a fair amount of advantages so they don't start out god awful for years and years. Since they are starting out with basically no prospects, they'll need some really strong drafts and this will help them with that.

Does of course mean we'll have another team to fight against for good draft positions :).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad