Where Does Your Heart Lie With the Rebuild At the Moment?

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
So in this next phase, where we start slotting in more skilled youth, there will be some important decisions near the trade deadline.

Scenario: let's say Greening is slotted in on the left side of Matthews and Nylander as the big body, corner man. Let's say he does quite well, for sake of argument, let's say he has a career type year...20-25 goals ...50 -60 points. Matthews and Nylander basically eat up the league, but Greening is great compliment to that line. Leafs are in a playoff position at the trade deadline. Do you keep him, resign him, or try to trade him letting a Rychel, or Leivo take that spot.

Although it's highly unlikely we will be competing for a playoff spot by then, if by some miracle it does happen, I think the lines should stay together. If there's great chemistry between the lines, then why fix what isn't broke, as the old saying goes?

Once the season is over, and say the Leafs make it to the second round, give the guys who complimented Matthews and Nylander another shot. I'd say if they can make it to the playoff with this roster, then they'd deserve a good one/ or two year deal.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Im not gonna lie, I want us to tank hard. I want Liljegren. By the sounds of it (and I know its pretty early) this guy might be that number 1 dman that I think we need.

Draft a number one center, and then a number one dman in back to back years? Yes please.

I still expect the team to have so many young players in the lineup that we'll be pretty bad.
I'm fine with finishing wherever and leaving it up to the lotto balls. For someone like that we're going to likely need a top 3 pick and you can't plan for those.

Think regardless we're picking in the top 10 somewhere and you can find guys with top pairing potential there. I'm fine with them having a decent year finishing 5th or 6th and seeing how things work out with the lotto. Some progression with the young guys on the roster would be a good thing for them.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Something to keep in mind that under the new lottery rules even f the Leafs finish 1/2 last there's a 50% chance gets end up drafting in the 4-5 area.

A bottom of the league finish is no guarantee for a top pick - it's less of a chance now than ever.

At the same time even if the team finishes 8th, still a chance to get a top three pick.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Something to keep in mind that under the new lottery rules even f the Leafs finish 1/2 last there's a 50% chance gets end up drafting in the 4-5 area.

A bottom of the league finish is no guarantee for a top pick - it's less of a chance now than ever.

At the same time even if the team finishes 8th, still a chance to get a top tree pick.

I can only speak for myself, but yes, understanding how the lottery system works as you have explained in your post is well understood and built into thoughts expressed in posts. I would guess most people understand this.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
don't worry about the standings. Develop the kids and make them better hockey players... whether it means we pick 1st, 5th or 10th. This year shouldn't be about tanking it should be about the improvement and growth of our young players.. not sending guys like Connor Brown back to the A cause we're winning too much.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
On paper, that first line looks like it could possibly be one of the top producing lines in the NHL, at some point. Just with the potential, youth and talent alone! If we miss on Lilijegren, there would most likely be Cal Foote available after him. If we end up picking after sixth in the first round, It's more than likely we'll miss out on both, I believe.

I purely want Liljegren because he's the most intelligent D at the top of the draft since Doughty that I've seen.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Also remember we have to compete with Vegas in the lottery next year. Of all cities, Vegas and lotteries would seem to hand in hand!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
James Reimer and Freddy Andersen had nearly identical GAA and SV% and Games Played last year.

Freddy posted his on a good team while Reimer posted it on a bad team. If Andersen posts similar #'s to last year that would be the equivalent to replacing Reimer as far as stats go.

Why are you comparing the 2 goalies? Reimer has been around for years and has never has 2 good years in a row when he shows dome level of consistency then MAYBE you can compare the 2 until then stop it because comparing the 2 at this point is asinine.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So in this next phase, where we start slotting in more skilled youth, there will be some important decisions near the trade deadline.

Scenario: let's say Greening is slotted in on the left side of Matthews and Nylander as the big body, corner man. Let's say he does quite well, for sake of argument, let's say he has a career type year...20-25 goals ...50 -60 points. Matthews and Nylander basically eat up the league, but Greening is great compliment to that line. Leafs are in a playoff position at the trade deadline. Do you keep him, resign him, or try to trade him letting a Rychel, or Leivo take that spot.

He's 30.
so at that juncture, I'd be like thanks for your service, and ship him off. (this isn't because I'm adverse to older players - i'm not) - if he's a UFA i'd bring him back. but honestly if he doesn't fit into the plans, he should go. and get cheaper players who can also fit into the plan, and see if we can get assets (or they fit in)

this is why I am determined not to like Laich. Because He's gonna be gone. (but i am hoping he'll come back on a cheap contract).

I think you make the moves that still contend to the "Plan" regardless of where we are at in the standings.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
I dream of the playoffs, so hell I'll vote for it. In reality, once the season starts I'm in the growth camp. But a man can dream...

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

At the same time even if the team finishes 8th, still a chance to get a top three pick.

I can only speak for myself, but yes, understanding how the lottery system works as you have explained in your post is well understood and built into thoughts expressed in posts. I would guess most people understand this.

and I think what also should be remembered is that where we finished pre-lotto is only applicable to the first round. with the amount of our own picks we've got - (even removing the 3rd for Detroit). drafting high in rounds 2-7 is equally important.

ukleafsfan

Jun 18, 2009
Newcastle, Uk
3 for me.
It would be hard to imagine being upset if we win games.
Just about every goal is going to involve a rookie or young player, I can't imagine not rooting for them to do well! It should be really exciting to watch.

Once we're out of it and games mean nothing I'll still want the youngsters to do well, but hope that we slip in the standings a bit. That said.. I've a feeling we'll actually surprise a few people this year when we put out the best team we can rather than having a better Marlies team night after night!

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
He's 30.
so at that juncture, I'd be like thanks for your service, and ship him off. (this isn't because I'm adverse to older players - i'm not) - if he's a UFA i'd bring him back. but honestly if he doesn't fit into the plans, he should go. and get cheaper players who can also fit into the plan, and see if we can get assets (or they fit in)

this is why I am determined not to like Laich. Because He's gonna be gone. (but i am hoping he'll come back on a cheap contract).

I think you make the moves that still contend to the "Plan" regardless of where we are at in the standings.

I tend to agree with you Daisy. No matter how well we do next season, you have to consider it a blip. Stay the course and keep inserting young guys after they have ripened. If they aren't good enough, let a vet hold the spot for a year. I would even be tempted to trade Greening in that scenario thinking we might get a first rounder for a 25 goal 50 year from him. ( I know it's highly doubtful, but just in that scenario.)

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I tend to agree with you Daisy. No matter how well we do next season, you have to consider it a blip. Stay the course and keep inserting young guys after they have ripened. If they aren't good enough, let a vet hold the spot for a year. I would even be tempted to trade Greening in that scenario thinking we might get a first rounder for a 25 goal 50 year from him. ( I know it's highly doubtful, but just in that scenario.)

Basically for me - personally this is my list of untouchables.

Auston Matthews.

everyone else - falls on a slide of where/when I'd trade them. I honestly think that's going to be the part that some people have issues with - and i'm not saying to start any X vs Y debates or anything. If we can get better within the same age group and talent, (even it's lateral for some reason) - I trust management to make those moves.

i don't think we're necessarily there yet. but I do think it's coming.

as for the ones we kinda sorta like, can see on the team if you squint right? - out they go if there's a good deal for them. :) i do like what we're doing - creating depth/competition, so when the player takes over, they are taking over from a vet - not another kid. it will give us a good base of what to see from.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Now that we have Matthews/Marner/Rielly/Nylander/JVR/Andersson/Kapanen/Sosh and Rychel, I'm happy moving forward and upward. We can still add pieces via the draft, FA, and trade.

I'll hope for the best, and that this young team gels, and can make a push for the playoffs this year, with a more steady netminder, and a dearth of young talent and some vets to help show the way.

I'm ready for this team to take a few steps forward.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
I purely want Liljegren because he's the most intelligent D at the top of the draft since Doughty that I've seen.

I know very little about Lilijegren. Do you know where he will be playing in Sweden this Season? Not sure if he'll be playing in the SHL. I know he played on Rogle U20 last season, which must be one of their junior league teams.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
Basically for me - personally this is my list of untouchables.

Auston Matthews.

I would have two: Matthews and Marner. Don't underestimate Mitch's ability. Trade this kid now, and it would most likely come back to bite us in the butt. He was fantastic in junior, and had a more impressive rookie camp than Auston did.

I was disappointed last season when I heard Nylander wasn't playing with enough heart or intensity.That isn't a good sign. If we can get an A prospect or 1st and 2nd rounder back for him, I'd say do it.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
I know very little about Lilijegren. Do you know where he will be playing in Sweden this Season? Not sure if he'll be playing in the SHL. I know he played on Rogle U20 last season, which must be one of their junior league teams.

He played 19 games in the SHL last season, and will continue to do so in 16/17 (with Rögle).

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I would have two: Matthews and Marner. Don't underestimate Mitch's ability. Trade this kid now, and it would most likely come back to bite us in the butt. He was fantastic in junior, and had a more impressive rookie camp than Auston did.

I was disappointed last season when I heard Nylander wasn't playing with enough heart or intensity.That isn't a good sign. If we can get an A prospect or 1st and 2nd rounder back for him, I'd say do it.

May I ask what you are basing that on?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I like how this rebuild is going. Im disappointed that we didnt get Stamkos on the other hand its a good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad