Where does Tampa go from here?

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Impossible. Trade him or keep the C on him. Taking a C off an active player - a superstar no less - simply tells everyone, teammates/players/coaches/fans/media - that you have no faith in him. That'll just hurt morale even more.

Taking the C off a player is never a good idea imo

Superstars shouldn't get the C to begin with.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Tampa tweaks the lineup. Keeps the coach. The team stumbles coming out of the gate next season which saves them from another President's Trophy and they can replace the coach.

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
Regardless if the player is a superstar or not a superstar to earn a C on the jersey in my opinion they must first have to be a leader in the dressing room before puck even drops. They have to be that guy who stands up to give a speech when they drop 5 games in a row. They have to be that guy to talk with the young stud player who may not be coming out of the gate right away. That is what a captain is in my book. Not how many Goals or Assists he puts on the score card.

Reactions: Hoek

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Still more to lose than to gain by changing a lot. Washington should be their example.

One interesting difference of Columbus vs Tampa is the difference in number of impending FAs. Washington won the cup with Carlson an impending UFA and he was a monster that playoffs.

But that's just one factor

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Lose your two softest forwards and pick up two big, gritty and good skating forwards. They currently have the ingredients for a great regular season team, but not enough size and grit up front to ever break through in the playoffs.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
As I’m watching this playoffs I’m seeing all the top teams lose. Stanley Cup Playoffs are really a tournament where anything can happen. Lightning just need to get in and hope it goes there way. Definitely need to play more inspired than last series though. That ain’t gonna cut it any year.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Washington was towards the very top in height and weight last year. Tampa was the smallest in both categories.
There’s more than one way to build a Cup team. Maybe add a couple of bigger players. But skilled teams have won in the past.
When the Bruins won with size and toughness a lot of teams tried to copy them. But then it swings the other way. Lots of ways to win. You just need good players playing as a team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dont show everything in the regular season.....Play conservatively ,save your strength and try to pick your battles ....

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
There’s more than one way to build a Cup team. Maybe add a couple of bigger players. But skilled teams have won in the past.
When the Bruins won with size and toughness a lot of teams tried to copy them. But then it swings the other way. Lots of ways to win. You just need good players playing as a team.
Skill is fantastic, but it's obvious to me that being the smallest team in the league is the glitch when the playoffs come. Tampa's roster of big defensemen and extremely small forwards is not the right recipe.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Skill is fantastic, but it's obvious to me that being the smallest team in the league is the glitch when the playoffs come. Tampa's roster of big defensemen and extremely small forwards is not the right recipe.
We will see. Too soon to say imo.
Just like people wrote off Washington.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
.856sv % isn’t gonna get it done and is “unsustainable” bad. I think people might underestimate the luck factor involved in 4 games. If they would have got a big save on one of thous goals they could still be in it. Don’t change a thing.

Reactions: vshun

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
If I'm Tampa, I trade stars for McDavid. McDavid goes to an organization that can build a playoff team and Edmonton gets enough stars to make the playoffs. Win/win.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

The Capitals are a skilled team. They just also are very big. As long as Washington is a contender they are built to beat Tampa and that is something the Lightning have to concern themselves with. That said, the mental approach to the game. The pressure of the choke is their biggest pot hole in the road.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We will see. Too soon to say imo.
Just like people wrote off Washington.

You do realize that the Caps choke rep in just the Ovechkin era was ten years long. That's the hard part. Staying the course thru one try after another. Not just one good choke.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Just stay the course and come back with s vengeance next year. Don’t blow your load so prematurely in the regular season and save some steam for the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad