Speculation: Where does Russell sign?

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

At the right price and term why not? The more shots he blocks the less shots Andersen and Enroth need to stop.

That's what people that say blocking shots is a negative don't get, a shot that's blocked is a shot that doesn't get to the net, you can't score on a shot that doesn't get to the net. Your goalie has one fewer save to make which makes him less fatigued and less likely to get injured.

no one doesn't get this

I believe it was Kent Nilson, blogger at flames nation that compare blocking shots to killing rats in your basement. Doing it is better than not, but if you're doing it a ton you have a problem. Russell gets pinned in his own end and HAS to block a ton of shots because the flames possess the puck less with him out there. You're not a visionary here

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Yes it was Hudler, not the embarrassment that was the Hiller\Ramo combo

Hudler scoring at an above average 1st liner at even strength instead of an elite 1st liner like last season was just their achilles heel I swear. Idk how someone can argue he had a bad season let alone "god-awful", do some research people

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I would gladly take Hudler back on my team if we can get it to fit within the cap (which is admittedly unlikely)

Russell.. not as bad as his advanced stats might suggest, and I think there are very few teams whose 3rd pair doesn't improve with him, but dollars/term would be a sticking point for me. If David Schlemko got 2.25 million over 4 years then I would give Russell slightly less as I am unconvinced he is better.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I could see Hudler sitting an overseas deal and hoping an NHL team comes close to matching it, which could be the hold up.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Wouldn't mind Huds back on the Flames as well for another year. Might be a chance of that once Gaudreau is signed and we see how much we have left of cap. Same with Russell. Could be waiting for that to happen first before a signing happens.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hudler scoring at an above average 1st liner at even strength instead of an elite 1st liner like last season was just their achilles heel I swear. Idk how someone can argue he had a bad season let alone "god-awful", do some research people

I don't need to do research I live in Alberta I watch the Alberta teams every night, Hudler had a down year but Hiller\Ramo were disgraceful particularly Hiller with his 3.51 GAA and 879 save%

that and that alone cost the flames the playoffs

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I would gladly take Hudler back on my team if we can get it to fit within the cap (which is admittedly unlikely)

Russell.. not as bad as his advanced stats might suggest, and I think there are very few teams whose 3rd pair doesn't improve with him, but dollars/term would be a sticking point for me. If David Schlemko got 2.25 million over 4 years then I would give Russell slightly less as I am unconvinced he is better.

He was slow, not too great defensively and made some bad offensive decisions every game.

He wasn't horrendous, and I'd like him back, but he really was not that good at all.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He was slow

He was slow, but it was the fact that he played with Monahan and Granlund at centre that made his foot speed an actual issue. When he played with Bennett at centre his footspeed was of no concern.

not too great defensively

You don't sign 50+ point wingers for defense. Is it preferable, yes, but is it what that player is there for, no..

made some bad offensive decisions every game.

Didn't stop him from producing as a Flame at a 54 point pace a season after producing 76 in 78 games. That's top line production. 54 points would have been third among forwards on our team in scoring. Our actual third leading forward scorer was Backlund with 47 who this fanbase regularily argues is a third liner.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

I don't need to do research I live in Alberta I watch the Alberta teams every night, Hudler had a down year but Hiller\Ramo were disgraceful particularly Hiller with his 3.51 GAA and 879 save%

jesus, man. Do I need to throw this :sarcasm: in there for you to understand that I'm saying Hudler was the opposite of the problem? He was everything he should have been expected to be, a top 6 winger with great EV production

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

You post in almost every Flames thread and never have any idea what you are talking about. So I'm not surprised.

Hudler was atrocious lad year and only scored so much because he played with Monahan and Gaudreau.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I admit its a little shocking that Russel hasnt signed somewhere on a semi-big deal yet. Surely 30 GMs cant all be that smart, can they?

His situation reminds me of Cody Franson. Going into his UFA summer everyone figured he'd get a big deal, bu then he went down to the wire and ended up with a smallish one.

Bolded is classic post, made me laugh out loud. Well done

:handclap:

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I predict Hudler will go to Dallas... for... 2.5... no, let's say about 2 million.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8

:facepalm:

The person you're quoting was arguing in your favor.

Sarcasm is a dying art form. :(

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I think Russel would help a lot of team's 3rd pairing if he takes a short term deal.

I still think people are way too brutal on Russell. Be the first to admit that he sits too far back on defense when he should be more mobile but it worked.

He always saved or contributed to more goals than he allowed. Yes, he gets out corsi'd consistently but he doesn't let people get in behind him and he doesn't let shots around him go uncontested. That stuff matters. He is a pain to play against.

He has well above average skating and passing and is an excellent penalty killer.

Dallas misused him horribly. Played 11 games with them, 8 out of the last 10 he was given 23 minutes over over. Four of those games he was over 27 for TOI. That is outrageous! He is a solid #4. They used him as a top pairing guy. Four points in 11 games on a new team while being fed to the wolves is decent as well. With a better situation I think he can hit 35-40 points. Thought he was fine vs Minnesota but the whole Dallas team looked terrible against St Louis.

Somehow we could get rid of Wideman and Engellend and I would like the Flames to offer him 3.5M x 2

Edit; Just wanted to add I think Dallas picked the wrong ex-Flame to sign. Hamhuis can play the role that they tried to force Russell into and that would actually allow them to play Russell where he belongs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad