Speculation: Where does Russell sign?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As we sit here on August 23rd Kris Russell and Jrir Hudler still sit without contracts, that's a bit surprising particularly in Hudler's case seeing as he is a guy that can help any teams top 6 and at this point can probably be had for a reasonable price.

I Aldo have a hard time believing Kris Russell doesn't have a team yet the guy is a shot blocking machine and as much as everyone says blocking shots is a negative stat, the more shots you block the less the goalie has to do.

I know he was looking for big money but like Hudler at this point you got to think he can be gotten at a reasonable price with training camp just around the corner.

Are these guys going to be forced to accept PTO contracts?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'd be surprised if they had to go the PTO route, especially Russell. Russell in particularly seemingly has offers on the table, but just not in the realm that he might have been expecting on July 1st. Different type of player, but Cody Franson seemingly went the same path last offseason before he finally signed a week before camp opened.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I admit its a little shocking that Russel hasnt signed somewhere on a semi-big deal yet. Surely 30 GMs cant all be that smart, can they?

His situation reminds me of Cody Franson. Going into his UFA summer everyone figured he'd get a big deal, bu then he went down to the wire and ended up with a smallish one.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Those trade deadlines deals by BT tho.

Hudler is a top 6 winger, easily deserves an NHL contract. Russell is at best a 4/5 pairing guy and that should equate to a PTO or 1yr 1m type deal but he seems to be overvalued league wide because he can block shots and not get injured (yet).

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'd really like Hudler back on the Flames in the cheap. Guy was slow as hell but still has skill and could see it.

Russell is odd because he's not as bad as people say, but not as good as others say. I think teams are still trying to ballpark where he fits/how much he's worth.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I admit its a little shocking that Russel hasnt signed somewhere on a semi-big deal yet. Surely 30 GMs cant all be that smart, can they?

His situation reminds me of Cody Franson. Going into his UFA summer everyone figured he'd get a big deal, bu then he went down to the wire and ended up with a smallish one.

I would take him for the right price and term.

The more shots he blocks the less work Andersen and Enroth have to do.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Those trade deadlines deals by BT tho.

Hudler is a top 6 winger, easily deserves an NHL contract. Russell is at best a 4/5 pairing guy and that should equate to a PTO or 1yr 1m type deal but he seems to be overvalued league wide because he can block shots and not get injured (yet).

I don't think Russell is worth that little. The value you're saying should be for a 6/7 depth guy, not a 4/5.

But it's true he was overvalued considering the numbers tossed around about what his deal might be. He doesn't have a deal yet though, so obviously the GMs aren't overrating him since they aren't giving him a deal. I think Russel is looking at 2.5-3 million per for 1 or 2 years.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Someone will sign Russell to a decent contract, he's still a decent player. Hudler was god-awful last year (except for 2 weeks before the deadline) and probably has to take a big pay cut.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Good landing spot for Kris Russell in order: New Jersey, Ottawa 1yr, Columbus 1yr and Detroit (If Detroit can clear Cap space).

I think Jiri Hudler will end up playing for either Vancouver or Dallas

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think Russell is worth that little. The value you're saying should be for a 6/7 depth guy, not a 4/5.

But it's true he was overvalued considering the numbers tossed around about what his deal might be. He doesn't have a deal yet though, so obviously the GMs aren't overrating him since they aren't giving him a deal. I think Russel is looking at 2.5-3 million per for 1 or 2 years.

He made 2.9 last year do2.5 would be a pay cut

Mad Brills*

Franson got 2.3 last year.

I really doubt he's getting more than 3 at most.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Hudler on a 1 yr deal to Ana makes sense no?
They need a LW at #1, and doesn't Huds play all 3 F positions? Is he looking for a crazy return?

As a Devs fan I would take Huds as we need a #1 RW and if it doesn't work out flip him at the TDL
At this point in his career if he's scoring isn't he a merc at playoff time if he's playing well?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hudler on a 1 yr deal to Ana makes sense no?
They need a LW at #1, and doesn't Huds play all 3 F positions? Is he looking for a crazy return?

As a Devs fan I would take Huds as we need a #1 RW and if it doesn't work out flip him at the TDL
At this point in his career if he's scoring isn't he a merc at playoff time if he's playing well?

I always felt he would fit in Chicago like a glove

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hopefully not Toronto.

I'm praying that we don't have an offer on the table contingent on Cowen decision coming down in our favour, and it's the best offer so Russell is waiting on that.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hopefully not Toronto.

I'm praying that we don't have an offer on the table contingent on Cowen decision coming down in our favour, and it's the best offer so Russell is waiting on that.

At the right price and term why not? The more shots he blocks the less shots Andersen and Enroth need to stop.

That's what people that say blocking shots is a negative don't get, a shot that's blocked is a shot that doesn't get to the net, you can't score on a shot that doesn't get to the net. Your goalie has one fewer save to make which makes him less fatigued and less likely to get injured.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Maybe they're looking for multi year deals with a NMC. Would mean a team would need to protect them for expansion, right? Other than that I'd guess they're just asking too much.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Both will probably get 1 year deals. Dont mind if it's with the Leafs if that's the case for Russell.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
I think it's an example of how teams want speed and aren't interested in paying for players who don't bring it.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
At the right price and term why not? The more shots he blocks the less shots Andersen and Enroth need to stop.

That's what people that say blocking shots is a negative don't get, a shot that's blocked is a shot that doesn't get to the net, you can't score on a shot that doesn't get to the net. Your goalie has one fewer save to make which makes him less fatigued and less likely to get injured.

Most people would rather a guy who's good at maintaining control of the puck so he doesn't end up in situations where he has to block a shot often. Polak and Russel types are nice to have on the PK where maintaining possession is harder and you can slap the puck out without thinking too hard.

I don't care how many shots a guy blocks if he's the reason we're hemmed in our own zone in the first place.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016

You keep saying that, but why do you think he has so many shots to block in the first place?

Edit: Ninja'd

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Someone will sign Russell to a decent contract, he's still a decent player. Hudler was god-awful last year (except for 2 weeks before the deadline) and probably has to take a big pay cut.

Hudler a dismal 27th in 5v5 P/60 this past season. Really destroyed the flames playoff odds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad