Speculation: Where does Russell sign?

TripleDekeGloveSide

Feb 25, 2012
Not Toronto
Anyone thinking guys like Russell are just waiting to see who gets injured in the World Cup? Its likely that we will see at least one injury to a serious player throughout all the games of the WC. Im guessing a lot of the GMs are waiting for trades and signings because of this too. Eyes glued to the TV, hand glued to the phone.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Why'd you play him 26 minutes a night then? He should be 18-20

He didn't when you take out the games the Stars played without Klingberg , Demers and Jordie Benn ( all RHD ) . Stars had to play Russel toppairing since Goligoski had to play right side , Oduya can't handle those minutes anymore and the others guys are rookies. In the playoffs Russel played around 18-20 minutes mostly pretty badly . Against Minny he was still alright but against the Blues the Russel-Demers pairing was the weakest link.

Last edited:

whlscowt

Anyone thinking guys like Russell are just waiting to see who gets injured in the World Cup? Its likely that we will see at least one injury to a serious player throughout all the games of the WC. Im guessing a lot of the GMs are waiting for trades and signings because of this too. Eyes glued to the TV, hand glued to the phone.

Really interesting, I never actually considered that, but it does make sense.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Rumors from his agent likely is that 8 teams are in talks

I was reading an article from the hockey writers that says Kris Russell has 8 teams interested in him but it doesn't say what teams are in the running to sign Kris Russell.

If I had to guess I'd say Russell is waiting for a defensemen to get injured, so Russell can sign with a good team that has a chance to make the playoffs this season.
Or Russell could be currently in talks with teams like New Jersey, Edmonton, Florida, Toronto or the four other teams likely looking for the best offer and term.

I would expect Russell to sign a contract with an NHL club in aboot 3 weeks give or take.

mileswm

Aug 29, 2016
Russell reminds me a lot of the Cody Franson/Christian Ehrhoff situations last year, a defenseman who is signed late and settles for less than what was maybe originally expected. I could see him getting something in between the Franson and Ehrhoff deals in terms of AAV

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
I was reading an article from the hockey writers that says Kris Russell has 8 teams interested in him but it doesn't say what teams are in the running to sign Kris Russell.

If I had to guess I'd say Russell is waiting for a defensemen to get injured, so Russell can sign with a good team that has a chance to make the playoffs this season.
Or Russell could be currently in talks with teams like New Jersey, Edmonton, Florida, Toronto or the four other teams likely looking for the best offer and term.

I would expect Russell to sign a contract with an NHL club in aboot 3 weeks give or take.

Of course, that is when the World cup ends and the pre season has begun.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Russell reminds me a lot of the Cody Franson/Christian Ehrhoff situations last year, a defenseman who is signed late and settles for less than what was maybe originally expected. I could see him getting something in between the Franson and Ehrhoff deals in terms of AAV
If I'm Russell I fire my agent as there's no chance Russell would price himself out of a job without bad advice, as amazing as it sounds he could make less than last year and maybe even back with the flames. :amazed:

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Rumors from his agent likely is that 8 teams are in talks

If 8 teams wanted to sign him and he hasn't signed yet...then I smell some pretty strong ********. If any team wanted him at this point then he would have been signed. His agent clearly gave him bad advice and he was asking way too much for what little he brings to the table.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
As mentioned earlier, this is the Cody Franson syndrome. Terrible cap management by Russell's agent and Russell.
He's just not that good.
Just about every team is close to the cap and certainly are in no position to pay 4m for a average at best Dman. Those alleged list of 8 teams....that just put out there by his agent trying to create interest.

Getting back to Franson.....supposedly he was offered a five year contract by the Leafs at 4.6m. (under Nonis). He turned it down and was traded to Nashville.
What did he sign for last year....3.3m a year two years.

Unless one team has a couple of NHL Dmen injuries, Russell may not even be signed before the season opens.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He may have 1 or 2 offers that are much lower than he would like; however, time is running out and he will have to sign soon or have zero offers and be left with European options only.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Rangers might be interested if they can somehow, by some miracle, get rid of Girardi and/or Staal. What is Bob Gainey doing these days?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's crazy, in back to back years Calgary has obtained a major haul for a player with a difficult time pinning down a job. And in back to back years, management attempted to sign both players before the deadline, only to have them refuse to go to market.

Calgary had offered Russ a contract, and they had offered Glencross a contract; both declined, got Calgary some great assets... and now one is retired and the other one hoping someone can clear up some room for him :laugh:

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Yep, after Ramo got sent down he really turned it around. His injury was just the final nail in the coffin. Hiller got like 6 games as a starter and blew them all.

Hope someone gives him a PTO at least. Still think he's a a solid 1B guy.

I'd love for the Sharks to give Ramo a PTO and let him compete with Dell and Armalis for the backup spot. I'm not sure if either side would be interested in that, though. IMO the Sharks need to at least give Dell a shot at backup since he's done well in the AHL but many Sharks' fans are uneasy about having an unproven backup.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'd love for the Sharks to give Ramo a PTO and let him compete with Dell and Armalis for the backup spot. I'm not sure if either side would be interested in that, though. IMO the Sharks need to at least give Dell a shot at backup since he's done well in the AHL but many Sharks' fans are uneasy about having an unproven backup.

Will Grosenick get any consideration?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Getting back to Franson.....supposedly he was offered a five year contract by the Leafs at 4.6m. (under Nonis). He turned it down and was traded to Nashville.
What did he sign for last year....3.3m a year two years.

Dear lord. Nonis was such a terrible GM. Between this and the Bolland offer, he could have left the Leafs with Clarkson, Phaenuf @ 7AAV, Franson @ 4.6 AAV, Bolland at 5.5 AAV, Kessel @ 8m AAV (Not terrible but a lot of cap) and god knows what else. That's over 22M if my math is right, or basically what a core in the NHL costs for largely garbage.

On topic, I doubt the Leafs are in. They have no cap space to sign him, and I doubt a move is made before the Leafs see what they have. No teams will give assets for our cap dumps at the start of the season (maybe at the TDL with retention and a good season by them but not now).

So the only way this happens is if the Leafs move a prospect or pick to move a few contracts to sign him, in which case this goes against everything they have preached since they got here.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Will Grosenick get any consideration?

I'd guess that he will but Dell did quite a bit better last season in the AHL so he's got the edge going into camp.

Dell: 40 gp, 2.42 GAA, 0.922 sv%; playoffs: 4 gp, 2.59 GAA, 0.932 sv%
Grosenick: 28 gp, 3.16 GAA, 0.894 sv%; playoffs: only played for four minutes (but had a 100% sv%)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad