Where does Auston Matthews rank on a list of top forwards?

Where does Auston Matthews rank on a list of top forwards?

• Total voters

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Below McDavid, Draisaitl, Mackinnon, and Kucherov. But he’s definitely in that second tier of forwards despite a bad season. That second tier is pretty large and I could see anyone ranking him 2-9ish

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
5th but he just had an extremely disappointing year for me. Both regular season and playoffs

Let's see if he can bounce back next season

Reactions: binop7

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
1. McDavid
2. Mackinnon
3. Drai
4. Kucherov
5. Tkachuk
6. Pastrnak
7. Matthews
8. Rantanen
9. Marner
10. Robertson/Pettersson?

Bedard, Hughes and Stützle likely jump in there over the next 2-3 years.

Pastrnak and Tkachuk clearly passed Matthews this year IMO. He can clearly be a Top 5 guy as seen last year but still his inability to stay healthy (whether due to bad luck or something else) for a full season and his inability to elevate his game in the playoffs keeps him out of the Top 5 for me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I dont think he can get a pass anymore for the lack of playoff success. It puts him below some of his equals in the regular season. I think hes outside of the top5. Not sure about the top10.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Somewhere 7-10 for me.
McJ
Drai
Kuch, Mack, Tkachuk, Pasta
would all be ahead of him for sure. If he stays healthier going forward and is able to make more of an impact in the playoffs he could move up a bit again. If not he could slide more behind guys like Rants, Robertson, Thompson etc

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Depends on of its regular season or playoffs and it depends on if he has Marner as a full-time linemate, or not.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Last year quite high.. this year he REALLY fell off. The injury history is starting to pile up and the drive is questionable too. I'd say at this moment giving him some benefit of the doubt on the wrist.. top 5 still?

I'd easily take McJesus, Drai, Kucherov, and Mackinnon over him right now. Maybe he'll bounce back next year.

Reactions: binop7

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
This year in P/GP Matthews was 17th in the regular season. In the playoffs he was 26th. I may be wrong but I think he's average defensively so that's kind of a wash. I also think his leadership skills are questionable. Is there anything I'm missing? I'll be good to him and go with the better number of 17. Perhaps he will do better next season.

Last edited:

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
1. McDavid
2. Mackinnon
3. Drai
4. Kucherov
5. Tkachuk
6. Pastrnak
7. Matthews
8. Rantanen
9. Marner
10. Robertson/Pettersson?

Bedard, Hughes and Stützle likely jump in there over the next 2-3 years.

Pastrnak and Tkachuk clearly passed Matthews this year IMO. He can clearly be a Top 5 guy as seen last year but still his inability to stay healthy (whether due to bad luck or something else) for a full season and his inability to elevate his game in the playoffs keeps him out of the Top 5 for me.

This is a great list.

Agreed, that second tier keeps growing too: Robertson, Pettersson, Hughes, Thompson, Stuetzle ...

Those guys have broken out and could continue to take steps forward.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I struggle to give him an exact number, as high as 5 as low as 10. voted 5, but probably should be ranges IE
Top 5.
Top 10
Top 15
Top 20

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I don't think you can say he's interchangeable with those guys when you factor in playoff performances. Each of those three have had memorable, dominating playoff runs. Matthews has continued to range from "good" to "underwhelming" every playoffs.

Also MacKinnon is not worthy of being mentioned with the others in the regular season(Matthews kinda is) so that leads me to believe that both are below Draisaitl+Kucherov and probably interchangeable with Pastrnak rounding out the top 6. Clear #1, Clear #2-3, Clear #4-6 for me.

Would probably place Matthews 5th but he obviously needs to bounce back next season to keep that ranking.

With another season like this one he could very well fall out of the current top 10, with one like last year he could be in contention for 2nd again even if Drai kinda have a grip on that spot right now.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Just above Mackinnon and equal with pasta and tkachuk. So 4th -6th

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Also MacKinnon is not worthy of being mentioned with the others in the regular season(Matthews kinda is) so that leads me to believe that both are below Draisaitl+Kucherov and probably interchangeable with Pastrnak rounding out the top 6. Clear #1, Clear #2-3, Clear #4-6 for me.

Would probably place Matthews 5th but he obviously needs to bounce back next season to keep that ranking.

With another season like this one he could very well fall out of the current top 10, with one like last year he could be in contention for 2nd again even if Drai kinda have a grip on that spot right now.
Lmao the guy coming off 111 points in 71 games? You can argue Drai/MacKinnon but he's clearly #3 at worst.
1684177509613.png

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Lmao the guy coming off 111 points in 71 games? You can argue Drai/MacKinnon but he's clearly #3 at worst.
View attachment 708927
4th for me(after Kucherov aswell, higher regular season peak, just as good in playoffs and also a ppg warrior last seasons). Could see an argument for Pastrnak aswell but I would have him 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad