Where do you place Ovechkin on your personal list of the greatest players of all time?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
What, you don't see it? Take Kovalchuk's Thrasher career, double it, ignore everything else because it doesn't help the argument, squint harder than Clint Eastwood and it kinda sorta looks like Ovechkin minus '08-'10 if you ignore the lack of Rocket Richards and other awards...

1188 games 656 goals 574 assists 1230 points
vs
1114 games 651 goals 503 assists 1154 points

I'm honestly shocked you didn't come to the same conclusion...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If we're talking greatest as in best resume, Ovechkin almost certainly falls into the top 10 all-time

But I don't think his overall impact puts him among the top 10 best players of all-time

For example, if given a choice heading into a 7-game series, is anyone taking Ovechkin over Pronger?

Or what about someone like Datsyuk? It wouldn't surprise me in the least if over the majority of their careers, Datsyuk's well-rounded game had a greater positive impact on games than Ovechkin's

Outside of a few elite seasons early in his career, I don't see much of a difference between Ovechkin and Kovalchuk

Team accomplishments are irrelevant in a discussion about individual players

confused-jaguarsfan.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
In Ovechkin's best season he lead the league in points-per-game, but finished just .14 PPG ahead of the runner-up, Henrik Sedin

Shouldn't a top 10 player of all-time - known for their offense - be able to out-score Henrik Sedin by more than 11.48 points over an 82-game season during their respective career years?

People rank Crosby in the top 10 and he lost Art Ross' to Sedin, Benn during his prime.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I would say the weaknesses for Beliveau are that he did not peak particularly high (unless he was Bergeron defensively) and did not face international competition.

I’m not a fan of Ovechkin, but aren’t his 2-3 best seasons better than Beliveau’s? It’s also hard for me to justify the 2nd-4th best skater (Beliveau, Richard, Harvey in some order) of the 06 era ahead of the consensus 2nd best of the cap era.
FWIW, I agree with adding some kind of context historically to a canadian-only league to a worldwide league. It's pretty clear that it's harder to be top-5 in goals or points year-in, year-out when there's much more competition in the league. This is due to just a significantly larger amount of high-end talent, as well as more players who can have career years or better years in any given season.

Ovechkin (vs Canadians) vs. Beliveau's results:

Ovi - CAD only goal finBeliveau goal finOvi - CAD only point finBeliveau point finOvi - CAD only Hart finBeliveau - Hart fin
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
2​
1​
1​
1​
2​
1​
2​
1​
2​
1​
3​
2​
3​
1​
2​
1​
3​
3​
3​
2​
2​
1​
4​
4​
3​
3​
2​
1​
5​
5​
3​
4​
3​
1​
7​
5​
4​
4​
4​
1​
8​
6​
6​
5​
4​
1​
9​
6​
8​
5​
2​
6​
8​
5​
2​
7​
9​
6​
3​
8​
9​
3​
8​
4​
9​
4​
5​
9​

Reactions: Victorias

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
What, you don't see it? Take Kovalchuk's Thrasher career, double it, ignore everything else because it doesn't help the argument, squint harder than Clint Eastwood and it kinda sorta looks like Ovechkin minus '08-'10 if you ignore the lack of Rocket Richards and other awards...

1188 games 656 goals 574 assists 1230 points
vs
1114 games 651 goals 503 assists 1154 points

I'm honestly shocked you didn't come to the same conclusion...

Play with the numbers all you like.

No way am I coming to that conclusion.

Maybe seeing both guys play is clouding my judgement.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Play with the numbers all you like.

No way am I coming to that conclusion.

Maybe seeing both guys play is clouding my judgement.
Maybe your judgement is the problem with your conclusion. Kovalchuk is about as close to Ovechkin as Stamkos is to Crosby.

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
I think their games were more well-rounded than Ovechkin's. While all three are best termed offense-only guys, Gretzky and Lemieux could hurt you shooting or passing for their entire careers. Ovechkin, outside of a very small period of time early in his career, was never that much of a threat as a passer, at least at an all time great level of discussion. Likewise, I think they were better puck carriers over the totality of their careers than Ovechkin was/is.

To Ovechkin's credit, he brings (or brought) a physicality that the other two didn't. However, I'm not convinced that the Ovechkin special of hitting guys 2 seconds after they got rid of the puck really helped his team all that much, but I may be in the minority there.

I think the gains based on Ovechkin's hitting are a definite plus that adds to his overall game. And sometimes that will affect a game. Great for playoffs in general.
That said, every one of Gretzky's and Lemiuex's assists effected games by definition.

Harry Waters

Oct 19, 2012
I always find it hard to rank players and in this case would exclude goalies because there are so many different things to consider.

But I would say that the likely best goalscorer ever in a sport where you need more goals than your opponent to win a game should be in the top ten and not lower. I get that there are arguments for or against, but he is such an outlier in that aspect that it justifies a ranking that high for me. I feel like most arguments against that (complete game game, defense, playmaking etc.) are a little forced. A lot of that has do do with deployment in my eyes.

Another point is that sometmes I feel that his goal scoring is downplayed a little in the sense that people point to other aspects of the game as if they are as important and ignore that other players' strenghts here are not that far above Ovi as Ovis goal scoring is above theirs. For example I can get onboard the idea of ranking Crosby a little higher, but it certainly isn't because of Crosby's defense, if you get what I mean.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I think the gains based on Ovechkin's hitting are a definite plus that adds to his overall game. And sometimes that will affect a game. Great for playoffs in general.
It couldn't have been that impactful in the playoffs, as the Capitals never had that much playoff success outside of the one Cup run despite having one of the premier teams of the time period.

Reactions: seventieslord

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
It couldn't have been that impactful in the playoffs, as the Capitals never had that much playoff success outside of the one Cup run despite having one of the premier teams of the time period.
Yes, you are right. I had noted that but I chose not to mention it. It seems like a good generalization, but not in Ovie's case. .

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I always find it hard to rank players and in this case would exclude goalies because there are so many different things to consider.

But I would say that the likely best goalscorer ever in a sport where you need more goals than your opponent to win a game should be in the top ten and not lower. I get that there are arguments for or against, but he is such an outlier in that aspect that it justifies a ranking that high for me. I feel like most arguments against that (complete game game, defense, playmaking etc.) are a little forced. A lot of that has do do with deployment in my eyes.

Another point is that sometmes I feel that his goal scoring is downplayed a little in the sense that people point to other aspects of the game as if they are as important and ignore that other players' strenghts here are not that far above Ovi as Ovis goal scoring is above theirs. For example I can get onboard the idea of ranking Crosby a little higher, but it certainly isn't because of Crosby's defense, if you get what I mean.
Ovechkin is probably the hardest NHL superstar to rank in an all-time setting. Goat goal scorer, 9x leading the league in the most important part of hockey (#2 is 7 times and in a much smaller league), one of the best 3 year peaks of all time.

When you try to apply the traditional criteria to ranking a guy like Ovi, it hurts him so much because he is so atypical from other all time greats.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Ovechkin is probably the hardest NHL superstar to rank in an all-time setting. Goat goal scorer, 9x leading the league in the most important part of hockey (#2 is 7 times and in a much smaller league), one of the best 3 year peaks of all time.

When you try to apply the traditional criteria to ranking a guy like Ovi, it hurts him so much because he is so atypical from other all time greats.
It's not really all that hard. Find Bobby Hull, slot Ovechkin right in front of him. The vast majority of things used to criticize Ovechkin apply to Hull too. Inexplicable dips in their prime. Only the one cup. Not nearly as high of a point producer year to year as a goal producer. Hull won 7 goal scoring titles in 10 years and Ovechkin won 9 in 13 years. And as good as Backstrom is/was as a linemate, he's no Stan Mikita. And off ice, both Hull and Ovechkin have their skeletons so you can't point to character for either relative to say a Beliveau or Crosby.

Unless the point is that Hull is also tricky to rank. HOH stuck him at #5 last go round...

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I think that's a little too easy. Hull was a bit more balanced attacker. I'm not sure that his dips are as low as Ovechkin's. Also, relatively speaking, he rarely ever played with Mikita at ES it seems.

Probably better to go with Richard. That's what in the top 100 project. I used Richard as the guide for Ovy basically. They're both in the 20ish area. Not the 5ish area.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hull and Mikita weren't linemates.

Hull was a superior point producer year over year.

Hull: 1,1,1,2,2,2,4,5,6,7,9
Ovechkin: 1,2,3,3,4,5,7,10

Remove same finishes
Hull:1,1,2,2,6,9
Ovechkin: 3,3,10

We can point to different league size, but it's a fairly clear point gap.

I also think Hull gets underrated as a playoff performer. Watching a bunch of 60s Hawks games, the gap between Hull and Mikita in meaningful games is pretty big.

Both are in that 2-5 winger group, but I tend to go Hull, Jagr, Ovechkin, Richard.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I disagree with the simple notion that goal-scoring stats are "the most important part of hockey". Obviously it's logical enough to argue that out-goaling the opponent is the ultimate purpose of a hockey game and the means to victory, but the individual who gets last-touch is only sometimes the most important individual part, and frequently isn't. Goal-scoring tends to be the result of two, three, or four (even five or six) teammates working together.

There are certain types of high goal-scoring players who are clearly the most important individual parts of their teams (Hull - Blackhawks; Bure - Panthers; Ovechkin - Caps), but there are probably more who aren't (Geoffrion - Canadiens; Simmer - Kings; Perry - Ducks; Cheechoo - Sharks, etc.).
I don't think Ovechkin's style of play is actually that unique. Maybe the young-Ovi's physicality mixed with goal-scoring was a bit unique, but even then there were plenty of "power forward" precedents. Ovechkin's style (young or old Ovi, or both) isn't that far removed from:
- Maurice Richard
- Bobby Hull
- Brett Hull

Then, in terms of somewhat or much "lesser" players, he also isn't that distinctive in style from:
- Mike Gartner
- Pat Verbeek
- Cam Neely
- Luc Robitaille
- Brendan Shanahan
- Jeremy Roenick
- Teemu Selänne
- Ilya Kovalchuk
Etc.

However, what is unique about Ovechkin -- and he shares this with M. Richard and Hull Jr. somewhat, and most certainly with Bobby Hull -- is how League-dominant he has been besides just being far and away the best goal-scorer.

Specifically, Ovechkin has an Art Ross, three Hart trophies, and three Pearsons. That's excessively rare for any Hal of Famer (esp. winger) deemed as "shoot-first" type of player. Richard and Hull Jr. never won an Art Ross. Mike Bossy had zero Ross, Hart, or Pearson.

To put it another way, Ovechkin around 2005 to 2010 was like Maurice Richard or Brett Hull on steroids.

Really, it will always be Bobby Hull who is the best comparable. There are a lot of similarities.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Hull and Mikita weren't linemates.

Hull was a superior point producer year over year.

Hull: 1,1,1,2,2,2,4,5,6,7,9
Ovechkin: 1,2,3,3,4,5,7,10

Remove same finishes
Hull:1,1,2,2,6,9
Ovechkin: 3,3,10

We can point to different league size, but it's a fairly clear point gap.

I also think Hull gets underrated as a playoff performer. Watching a bunch of 60s Hawks games, the gap between Hull and Mikita in meaningful games is pretty big.

Both are in that 2-5 winger group, but I tend to go Hull, Jagr, Ovechkin, Richard.
We probably should when Ovechkin has 11, 15, 15, 16, and 19th place finishes on top of the top 10s in a 30+ team league. Those are every bit as strong as 6, 7, 9th place finishes in a 6-12 team league.

Reactions: BackToTheBasics

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Imo OV is somewhere between 15 to 25 for best ever.
99 and 4 have a tier
66 and 9 and 5 have a tier.
Messier, Coffee, Potvin, Hull, Richard, Belliveau, Hasek, Crosby lead tier 3.
Then there’s a bunch of great players in a tier below that. Imo this is where OV is. He’s in with great players like Makita, Robinson, etc.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
We probably should when Ovechkin has 11, 15, 15, 16, and 19th place finishes on top of the top 10s in a 30+ team league. Those are every bit as strong as 6, 7, 9th place finishes in a 6-12 team league.
This argument will always be wrong.

If you want to argue that the NHL is richer and deeper in talent-pool now, mainly due to Europeans and Americans occupying more competition for the top, that is entirely reasonable (and true). But the sheer size of the League is not a factor at all, and should not even be brought up in these discussions.

Let's say the NHL decides tomorrow to reduce itself to 12 teams instead of 32 teams. Does this mean 60% of the best players are now unemployed and will go to the AHL, KHL, etc.? No, it doesn't. The same players who were the 250 best players last season will still be the best 250 players next season, the only difference being that now they'll be spread among only 12 teams instead of 32. So, competition for top-spot for scoring will be just as difficult in a 12-team League as in a 32-team League.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Messier, Coffee, Potvin, Hull, Richard, Belliveau, Hasek, Crosby lead tier 3.
I don't mean to single you out here, but the rampant misspelling of Paul Coffey's name on the forum lately (mainly in other threads and by other posters) is upsetting me greatly.

Everyone, please note: Paul Coffey, NHL defenceman, has a name distinguishable in spelling from the caffeinated beverage!! Please respect the 'y' in Paul Douglas Coffey's name henceforth!!

Coffee
intro-1645231221.jpg

Coffey
paul-coffey-of-the-edmonton-oilers-skates-while-looking-for-the-puck-against-the-montreal.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad