Speculation: Where do you expect us to finish in our division

End of season position in Canadian division?

• Total voters

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Assuming the season goes well from a pandemic point, which is a big IF, I feel the Flames are a top 2 team in the division. I’m also used to the Flames underachieving when expectations are high, so we will see.

Toronto has tons of good pieces and expectations are high, but everything could blow up there. Edmonton has some good pieces and could finally put together a good season, especially since it’s not 82 games.

Vancouver really trended upwards last year but has some significant turnover, so they could progress just as easily as they could regress. Winnipeg has some good pieces up front and a stellar goalie, but that hodgepodge defence isn’t very impressive.

Montreal has tons of depth but lacks high end players. There new back up may provide a great tandem in net and coaching could get a lot out of the two way players on that roster.

Ottawa should be better. Murray is a nice piece in net for the next few years. They have tons of young stars in the making and some interesting off season acquisitions. Everyone is slotting them last, but they could definitely surprise.

What I’m saying is: you might as well throw darts at a board. None of the Canadian teams are a consistent or dependable threat as a top team. Everyone has flaws and could just as likely overachieve as underachieve. Add in the 8-10 games against each team and hot and cold streaks could drastically swing the standings.

Honestly the Leafs fans that make it seem like they are far and away the greatest team in the division are in for a rude awakening.

literally outside of Ottawa, I could see any team stealing first. No one is a clear cut like, yup, they have a better top 6, bottom 6, top 6D and goalie; no one else can compete.

Kind of a hodgepodge of how everyone is actually situated.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Hoping 1st, but I put 2nd.
I'm stoked. Can't wait.
I hope Tkachuk keeps his cool while maintaining his pesky side.
I didn't like him dropping the mitts with Corey Perry a 4th liner in the playoffs.
We need him to produce on the score sheet, not in the penalty box.
Hopefully Lucic is the guy dropping the mitts this year on a more consistent basis.
Anyways, I expect good things. And I'm really excited for Flames hockey again.
Seems like it's been forever.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think so. Seven games in with two shutouts? Tied for 7th in the league for lowest goals against (17). Admittedly the Flames have only played 7 games, but so far this season the renewed emphasis on defence has been a bright spot. In the Canadian Division, teams higher in the standing have been winning based on their offence not keeping the puck out of the net (except Montreal). I think it may be tough for them when the game tightens up.

We'll make the play-offs and I would say in 2nd or 3rd spot.

Reactions: TychoFan

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Did not expect Ottawa to be 1-6-1 by this point. That is really, really bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad