Speculation: Where do you expect us to finish in our division

End of season position in Canadian division?

• Total voters

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I expect 1st, would be satisfied with 2 or 3. Anything less is a failure.

If they finish 4th and still make it deep in the playoffs I won’t complain though, but this roster should be really, really good. It just finished 2nd in the whole league two years ago, and the only big loss has been Brodie since then. Hopefully Tanev comes as advertised and can fill that gap.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I said 3rd but an all Canadian division will be much tougher than last years Pacific. I don't believe that a short, compressed season plays out well with our acquisitions. With multiple back to backs and less rest time between games, it seems unlikely that Markstrom will play more than 2/3's of the season, or 35 games. If his numbers hold true, this is similar to what we got from Talbot in 2020, Smith in the 2019 playoffs and Smith in 2018. They'll be a lot of pressure on Rittch to find some consistency, as last season he was either outstanding or not very good. The rigors of this sort of schedule are also extremely hard on older players, like Gio and hard milage players, like Tanev. Having either of those guys go down will be a huge hit, with questionable defensive depth. I think we'll also see reduced ice time and a shift towards playing 4 lines, closer to evenly. We'll need big steps forward from Dube and Bennett, in order to be successful.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Better be first after spent the max.

Said flames owners

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I said 3rd but an all Canadian division will be much tougher than last years Pacific. I don't believe that a short, compressed season plays out well with our acquisitions. With multiple back to backs and less rest time between games, it seems unlikely that Markstrom will play more than 2/3's of the season, or 35 games. If his numbers hold true, this is similar to what we got from Talbot in 2020, Smith in the 2019 playoffs and Smith in 2018. They'll be a lot of pressure on Rittch to find some consistency, as last season he was either outstanding or not very good. The rigors of this sort of schedule are also extremely hard on older players, like Gio and hard milage players, like Tanev. Having either of those guys go down will be a huge hit, with questionable defensive depth. I think we'll also see reduced ice time and a shift towards playing 4 lines, closer to evenly. We'll need big steps forward from Dube and Bennett, in order to be successful.

Yes Bennett needs to step up. Do or die.

Hopefully a good showcase for Johnny.

Short season should benefit Johnny and Monahan . They normally choke after about 60 games anyway.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I think it really depends on Ward and how he uses the roster. The depth is there but if young guys emerge will Ward move vets down the depth chart?

I could see Gio being our 5th best defencemen by the end of the season but would Ward really play him on 3rd pairing? Also if Lucic can’t keep up with the regular season pace (it’s a different pace than the playoffs folks) will Ward put him in the press box?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The Canucks at 5/1 is kind of lol worthy. I'm not a gambling man but if I were the Flames would look interesting to me. Even though I voted 3rd in the poll we're one season removed from placing 1st in the west.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The Canucks at 5/1 is kind of lol worthy. I'm not a gambling man but if I were the Flames would look interesting to me. Even though I voted 3rd in the poll we're one season removed from placing 1st in the west.

Also Mont at 6:1....god if they finish ahead of us, a blowup is needed.
We better hope we can be better than Montreal & Vancouver.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Two seasons removed, one season removed from being 7th, in a terrible Pacific. Valimaki will be the deciding factor, in whether or not this team actually improved during the offseason.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Two seasons removed, one season removed from being 7th, in a terrible Pacific. Valimaki will be the deciding factor, in whether or not this team actually improved during the offseason.
There’s been too much turnover to say that Valimaki is the only factor that decides if the needle has been moved. That’s so oversimplified

Reactions: Mazatt

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
There’s been too much turnover to say that Valimaki is the only factor that decides if the needle has been moved. That’s so oversimplified
Not really, Frolik, Rieder, Jankowski, Leivo, Simon and Nordstrom are all pawns. Hard to imagine any of these guys being a difference maker, or being significantly better than the next one. That leaves Markstrom, Tanev + the reintroduction of Valimaki, verse the loss of Brodie, Hamonic + Talbot. Tanev should be better than Hamonic, barring injury. Its hard to expect Markstrom to be significantly better than Talbot's .919 during the regular season or his .924 in the post season. A little more consistency would be nice but those were pretty impressive numbers. To me that leaves the rookie Valimaki, to fill Brodie's shoes. Its not impossible but its a pretty tall order.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Not really, Frolik, Rieder, Jankowski, Leivo, Simon and Nordstrom are all pawns. Hard to imagine any of these guys being a difference maker, or being significantly better than the next one. That leaves Markstrom, Tanev + the reintroduction of Valimaki, verse the loss of Brodie, Hamonic + Talbot. Tanev should be better than Hamonic, barring injury. Its hard to expect Markstrom to be significantly better than Talbot's .919 during the regular season or his .924 in the post season. A little more consistency would be nice but those were pretty impressive numbers. To me that leaves the rookie Valimaki, to fill Brodie's shoes. Its not impossible but its a pretty tall order.
Valimaki isn’t even the Brodie replacement...

That’s Andersson.

Also Markstrom is better than Talbot AINEC

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

I'd have to askif anyone thought Donovan/Yelle/Clarke/Nilson were pawns in 2004....they all had big contributions, and in some ways just as responsible for that run than the big guys. I personally feel that Leivo & Nordstrom can provide a similar role.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Valimaki isn’t even the Brodie replacement...

That’s Andersson.

Also Markstrom is better than Talbot AINEC
Ras already surpassed Brodie last season. I hope you're right about Markstrom. If I'm not mistaken, he has the lowest career save percentage out of all the goalies we've acquired in the current era and is only a year younger than Elliott, at the time.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Ras already surpassed Brodie last season. I hope you're right about Markstrom. If I'm not mistaken, he has the lowest career save percentage out of all the goalies we've acquired in the current era and is only a year younger than Elliott, at the time.
I’m terms of placement anyways I guess Andersson is the Brodie replacement even though Ras saw significant time one the first pair IIRC it was still mainly Brodie. There could be an argument about whether he surpassed him performance wise too I suppose, you’re right. He’s a fantastic defenceman.

I may have too high hopes for Markstrom, but I think he’ll be playing behind a better defensive team here than he ever had in Vancouver.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd have to askif anyone thought Donovan/Yelle/Clarke/Nilson were pawns in 2004....they all had big contributions, and in some ways just as responsible for that run than the big guys. I personally feel that Leivo & Nordstrom can provide a similar role.
Donovan was 3rd on the team in scoring that year. Yelle was a great shutdown center, not really comparable to the list of current wingers and Nilson was acquired at the deadline. That leaves Clark and no, I don't think any of these guys are capable of bringing what he did.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I’m terms of placement anyways I guess Andersson is the Brodie replacement even though Ras saw significant time one the first pair IIRC it was still mainly Brodie. There could be an argument about whether he surpassed him performance wise too I suppose, you’re right. He’s a fantastic defenceman.

I may have too high hopes for Markstrom, but I think he’ll be playing behind a better defensive team here than he ever had in Vancouver.
I mean don't get me wrong, Markstrom wasn't what I wanted, especially at that hit, but I don't think he'll be a downgrade. I just don't expect him to be the huge difference maker, that some believe he'll be. I have high hopes for Leivo but the other guys, I'm not so sure.

Reactions: User1996

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
All I'm saying is you need players to play certain roles, and know their roles. A few "pawns" (I would never call them that), are always needed. I'd even go as far as to say that the more "pawns" you have that show they are committed to the team, the more likely your team is to succeed.

Reactions: Mazatt

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
There is a significant difference between Talbot being good as a backup and Markstrom being the MVP of a playoff team. Like, absolutely massive difference, he is absolutely an upgrade.

Reactions: Mitts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad