Where do Ovechkin and Crosby Rank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Look Ovechkin is playing the best hockey in quite some time but the definition of a sniper is not what Ovechkin is. He's a volume shooter. He makes his entire offensive living off of taking any shot he can find and putting it on net (not necessarily a bad thing either).

He's not a sniper but is wrapping up his 5th goal scoring title. Gotcha.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Can you not understand simple statistics? You guys come with sarcasm and offer nothing to the conversation. Typical of people who have no argument in the first place. How is AO a better sniper than Stamkos or Hull or Bossy? Leading the league in goals makes you a sniper? If it takes player A 300 shots to score 50 and player B 250 to score the same amount explain to me who's more of a sniper?

In fact explain to me the definition of a sniper. You guys clearly have no idea.

I don't even dislike Ovechkin but you guys get defensive over any argument that remotely paints him in a light that you perceive to be negative.Wonder why I stay away from 90% of these forums...

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
You know what would be groundbreaking?

People actually making concessions about a player when the data is so clearly obvious. I'm obviously a Pens fan and can make plenty of concessions about Crosby and find faults with the guy.

Ovechkin is going to go down as the 2nd greatest goal scorer of all time in all likelihood. That's an immense feat. Just because he's not a "sniper", doesn't degrade him in any way. Some guys had the ability to put the puck where they wanted almost every time (Bossy) and other guys played a volume game. Washington plays a game that revolves around Ovechkin getting pucks at the net. The more you shoot the more likely you are to score goals/generate chances. Nothing wrong with that.

Season Player SOG
2014-15 Alex Ovechkin 356
2013-14 Alex Ovechkin 386
2012-13 Alex Ovechkin 220
2011-12 Evgeni Malkin 339
2010-11 Alex Ovechkin 367
2009-10 Alex Ovechkin 368
2008-09 Alex Ovechkin 528
2007-08 Alex Ovechkin 446
2006-07 Alex Ovechkin 392
2005-06 Alex Ovechkin 425

I already posted true shooting % numbers and that illustrates just how much more Ovechkin puts the puck in the direction of the net. If his accuracy and success rate (not just raw goal totals) is far less then other goal scorers, how do we conclude he's a "sniper"?

Again, the guy is going to be a top 25-30 player all time when it's all said and done. Putting a label on him as a goal scorer doesn't diminish that fact.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Being injured for a solid chunk of your career is a plus while being able to get the puck on net an insane amount of times is a minus...

Right.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Being injured for a solid chunk of your career is a plus while being able to get the puck on net an insane amount of times is a minus...

Right.

No it's not. But hey, more sarcastic gibberish that does nothing to actually further the conversation.

Getting the puck on net is a + but that doesn't even remotely answer the question i've posed. [MOD]

So Ovechkin is a lethal sniper because he scores a lot of goals? It just takes him so many more shots to actually get to the final total. That makes total sense.

Am i doing this right?

Last edited by a moderator:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Welcome to Crosby vs Ovechkin debates my friend :yo:

It's funny despite all those injuries, Crosby still scores at a better per game rate in the regular season, postseason, has more Art Ross's, Olympic Gold medals, the same number of Lindsay awards, has led the league in both goals and assists at different points in his career....oh and 2 Cup final appearances and a ring. How many times have those #1 seeded Caps teams been bounced in rounds 1 and 2?

Injuries ARE a minus, and they're also the only reason this is even a debate. God bless Steckel's clean hockey play hit and Brooks Orpik's brilliant slap shot accuracy.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
This no longer appears to be about either player's place in history, but yet another pissfest.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad