OT: Where are you from?

What is your relationship to the Tampa Bay area?

• I'm from Tampa Bay (i.e., the Bolts catchment area)

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I'm from South Florida (i.e., the Panthers catchment area)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm from elsewhere in Florida

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I used to live in Florida

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I have never lived in Florida, but I've spent a lot of time there

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I have no relationship to Florida

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Gainesville (it's in my location tag). It's home to the University of Florida Gators. My house is about 120 miles (~200km to those of you inclined towards the metric system) north of Amalie Arena. I've been twice, both times to see the Coyotes come to town, and it's a nice, leisurely drive along I-75 that takes about three hours on the way (because of traffic) and two and a half on the way back. I moved here two and a half years ago to get married, and married a lifelong Bolts fan, which is how I became a fan, as well as adopting the Buccaneers and Rays.

I'm originally from Arizona and became a Coyotes fan starting in the 01-02 season. I'm still a Coyotes fan, of course, which is why both times I've gone to Amalie Arena was to see the Coyotes. I wore my Coyotes jersey to both games. I will still always root for the Coyotes over the Bolts (and Cardinals over the Buccaneers), but I have no interest in the Diamondbacks. Not really an NBA person, but I am on the Suns' bandwagon at the moment because they're actually good. Not sure if I would do the same for the Magic.

My husband was born in Michigan, but moved to the bay area when he was very young (before starting school) and grew up in Clearwater. He spent a year at Vanderbilt, but transferred to UCF in Orlando and graduated from there, and eventually his professional life landed him in Gainesville, though he has spent some time in Pennsylvania as well. I like Gainesville. We own a house here, and I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life here.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
From Vermont. Marty St. Louis went to UVM. Natural transition. Been to Tampa Bay once ever - last year, game 5, to see them raise the cup.
I went to Vermont on a work trip a few years ago. Took a quick side trip to their rink. Was cool to see Marty's name on a banner there as a cup winner, Perrin too.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I'm from Switzerland and got no geographic relations to Tampa nor the US. Ice hockey is the most followed sport in my region tho, so I grew up watching and playing.

Back in 2004-05 lockout I was still a kid and was absolutely amazed by that undersized, speedy winger named Martin St. Louis that was playing for HC Davos in the Spengler Cup.
Long story short, I discovered what his NHL team was and been following the Lightning since. At first it was only on the newspapers (in the hockey section of the regional newspaper they reported the scores of the games with 1 day of delay). Then I got my hands on the NHL07 videogame and so I got to know a bit more the team and the players.
But I can say I've been avidly keeping up with the team on a daily basis, trying to go more in depth with articles, trades and so on since Heddy was drafted.
And it's been love ever since.

Hammerlik

Feb 13, 2022
The Czech Republic, small town boy. Here representing Palát the Drej and almighty Rutta. Will accept your gifts for providing Tampa the rarest gem of a hockey player my country ever produced, Šustr.

Chose Tampa to be my team back in the early 2000's (think before the cup). Loved the shit out of the MSL - Lecavalier - Richards line. Would always put them together in NHL game. Kubina and Hamrlík are probably my top 2 defenders we've ever had, so that helped too.

Last edited:

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Grew up in Seattle when almost no one followed hockey. I moved to TB in 2014 and started watching the bolts. I loved learning a new sport as an adult and quickly went from interested to obsessed! I loved it there but we moved back to WA 2 years ago for the wife. I refused to move back to gray Seattle so now we live east of the mountains in a very dry and sunny area. I miss the beaches down there and riding the Pinellas trail. I went to a watch party on the beach a few years ago. That was epic

20190210_180703.jpg

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I am in Vancouver. My favourite player growing up was Vinny. My elementary school teacher would bring tapes of Q games and I was in awe watching Vinny play. Gets drafted by the Bolts, and I became a Bolts fan then.

Hedmonster Bolt

Les Paul Goon Life
May 8, 2018
Largo,Fl
Grew up on Long Island. I was an Isles, Mets and Giants fan. Moved to St Pete in 1980 at 16. After the initial shock I fell in love with the area, got married in 88 and the wife and I decided this was where we wanted to raise a family. I cut all NY sport ties because I wasn't gonna raise my kids to be NY fans. Suffered through the Bucs and early Bolts and Rays, but I will say the last few years has made it all worthwhile. Just have to see the Rays win the WS before I kick it. My Bolts back to back banner in the front yard is about shot, can't wait to get the 3peat banner.

Last edited:

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
I'm Hungarian, living now in Hungary, but was born in Slovakia, so that's where love of hockey comes from. I started watching hockey NHL in the 2012-2013 lockout season, until then my only encounter with the NHL was the NHL 06 demo game ( I was like 10 ). There are two teams in that demo, the Lightning and the Leafs. I think I really dodged a bullet there with choosing Tampa :D
What city were you born in? Btw. not a TBL fan but bolts were here in Slovakia 14 years ago ( the preseason after stamkos was drafted) and played friendly game against Slovan Bratislava.

Wester

Oct 5, 2020
Hungary
What city were you born in? Btw. not a TBL fan but bolts were here in Slovakia 14 years ago ( the preseason after stamkos was drafted) and played friendly game against Slovan Bratislava.
Lucenec and lived in Filakovo, near the Hungarian border

Reactions: McD37

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Is there any chance that hockey will achieve relevance in Italy? Especially hosting the second winter olympics in 20 years?
No chance.
Have you seen what happened at the World Hockey championships, today?
Italy lost vs Kazakistan and will play in the second division right now.
No chance hockey will become relevant in my country and, especially, in my city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad