Where are the Sedins right now?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Let's say they were @100% during their peaks, how good are they now (upcoming season), what can be expected with their new shiny toy (Eriksson)?

Are they still at around 90% or have they fallen even more? Can Eriksson make them jump to ppg players once again? :)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Let's say they were @100% during their peaks, how good are they now (upcoming season), what can be expected with their new shiny toy (Eriksson)?

Are they still at around 90% or have they fallen even more? Can Eriksson make them jump to ppg players once again? :)

I think the Sedins are at about 70% of their peak. I think Eriksson could help them get back to 70+ point totals.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
90% of peak isn't exactly bad.

Sure. I could see them reaching ppg again with Eriksson and a proper PP.

More worried about the PP than 5v5 production. Just don't see with the current D how our PP will be anything more than average at best.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I think the honest answer is that we'll have to wait and see. Nobody can argue that their production has fallen off since 2011. Yes, they are some of the best conditioned athletes, but father time catches up to us all. Nobody ever wants to admit it until it smacks us in the face, but it is a fact of life and nobody is immune from it. The Sedin's are going to be 36 this season so I am really interested to see, not just how they perform out of the gate, but how they preform the entire year.

One thing is certain. If they start to show their age and have a hard time keeping up with the play we are in for a real long and brutal season, again.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

Honestly the Sedins could've broken the 70 point barrier last season if they tried.

Their play fell off a cliff when the Nucks started nosediving in the standings. I've seen Dank/Hank play thru injuries and it wasn't that - their effort level dropped off once they realized how inevitable missing the playoffs was.

Doubt the Sedins ever get to PPG without more secondary scoring. Too much pressure on them right now with no real 2C to ease the offensive burden. No real 3C to soak up hard defensive minutes. No roving D to help with transition points, no real PP options either.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Honestly the Sedins could've broken the 70 point barrier last season if they tried.

Their play fell off a cliff when the Nucks started nosediving in the standings. I've seen Dank/Hank play thru injuries and it wasn't that - their effort level dropped off once they realized how inevitable missing the playoffs was.

Broke 70pts if they tried? You're basically implying the Sedin's mail it in when the team starts to lose. that's some serious BS right there. They didn't hit 70pts because they were 35 and haven't had a proper linemate in over 4 seasons. It has nothing to do with their effort. They are one of the few who do try night in and night out. Age catches up with us all. It has nothing to do with trying.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The defence fell apart, which makes everyone up front look bad. Had the defence remained healthy (relatively), they probably hit 70 last season.

Effort is a silly explanation.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
The Sedin's are incredibly smart but last year was the first time i noticed how slow the have become. Hank also has dealt with injuries the last couple of years and both will suffer drop off due to age..it just happens. These guys are not Jagr or Doan who are big enough to take on big physical defenders. The last couple of years i have noticed how much they get knocked down and beat up. Even their cycle gets broken up more by fast defenders who are on them in a flash.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
The defence fell apart, which makes everyone up front look bad. Had the defence remained healthy (relatively), they probably hit 70 last season.

Effort is a silly explanation.

Losing the two best LH defence for basically all 82 games with at least 1 out didn't help. But anyone who watched all the games can't deny from late Feb to the end, the Sedins effort level which is usually 110% every given night was 80 at best at times. Too many missed coverage and lazy back checks from each to cover their lack of offence. Sure it may not be considerably more than normal, as they've never been Selke type players. But when you see Daniel call for a change late in the 3rd down by two with the play heading to his defensive zone and he's not reached the offensive zone faceoff dot it's hard to not wonder where his effort level was. Their usual Ticky tack obstruction penalties were even more noticeable when the PK started to wain as well, almost every Sedin penalty was a PPG against.
Also saying no winger for 4 years is disingenuous as Vrbata did score like 20 of his 31 with them, as well as Jannik Hansen setting career highs in goals and points only last season.

IMHO as long as you don't go away from the Eriksson/Hansen duo to compliment them, their drop in production will stay steady at the 65-80 points they've been scoring the last few years. Like many have said, it's the PP problems which have limited them the most.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think the Sedins are falling off more from lack of support than anything else. When they were Cup calibre players they had a heavy (Rome) and a shooter (Salo) available on defence. Burrows was fast and yappy, drawing most of the dirty work. There was second line scoring from Kesler's line. They were sheltered by vigneault.

To expect similar numbers without similar advantages is unreasonable. Add in the age factor and sixty to seventy points apiece is a good guess.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
They looked like they were skating in mud in the 2nd half of last season and it's high time they are put on separate lines.

They're still elite playmakers and each could play that role that could elevate the goal scoring from linemates.

The other thing I noticed is that their play seems to drop off markedly after the all-star break in the past few years. Not sure if this is fatigue or injuries.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Pretty hard in today's NHL to score at an elite pace without a supporting cast. Last year there was no secondary scoring to take the heat off and an abysmal defense that didn't do them a lot of favours in getting the pucks to them. Even when healthy that defense is about as low scoring as it gets in the league.

I think 60-70 points is reasonable if they're healthy. Maybe more than 70 if they click with Eriksson and they have a respectable powerplay. However at 36, even if they had an awesome supporting cast I doubt they come top 10 in scoring anymore.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
The Sedin's are incredibly smart but last year was the first time i noticed how slow the have become. Hank also has dealt with injuries the last couple of years and both will suffer drop off due to age..it just happens. These guys are not Jagr or Doan who are big enough to take on big physical defenders. The last couple of years i have noticed how much they get knocked down and beat up. Even their cycle gets broken up more by fast defenders who are on them in a flash.

Glad someone said that. The league is getting faster and they aren't.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Glad someone said that. The league is getting faster and they aren't.

They were never really fast. I'd say they were avg skaters at best. Age will not be kind to them in this regard. It will probably be their undoing in the NHL.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The Sedins are on the inevitable downside of their careers. Maybe they can hit 70 points with Eriksson on their wing. Maybe.

And the Sedins were never "sheltered" by Vigneault. AV just had a lot more options at his disposal. Between that at the "Canucks moving to Seattle" remark you made the other day, you've really been talking some out-there crap lately, Junior. No offense, but seriously. What the hell, man.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
They were never really fast. I'd say they were avg skaters at best. Age will not be kind to them in this regard. It will probably be their undoing in the NHL.

Age is the undoing of every player who is not undone by injury. Think they can play at current speed, though they rarely score off the rush as they use to in their prime.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pretty hard in today's NHL to score at an elite pace without a supporting cast. Last year there was no secondary scoring to take the heat off and an abysmal defense that didn't do them a lot of favours in getting the pucks to them. Even when healthy that defense is about as low scoring as it gets in the league.

I think 60-70 points is reasonable if they're healthy. Maybe more than 70 if they click with Eriksson and they have a respectable powerplay. However at 36, even if they had an awesome supporting cast I doubt they come top 10 in scoring anymore.

Yeah. Part of it is age-related decline, that's natural. But a part of it also comes from being the sole focal point of a team's offense, without a lot of support in the form of secondary scoring, defensive support, anyone else to really take the heat off offensively or even really physically, etc. Hopefully a full year of Sutter will help, along with hopefully some further progression from guys like Bo+Bae, and obviously the addition of another legitimate top-line caliber winger in Eriksson to the mix.

Just getting a quality RH shooting Powerplay point man behind them could go a long ways in rejuvenating the Twins...or at least helping to offset the natural decline of aging. The fall-off in the effectiveness of the PP hits the Twins pretty hard. Part of that may be on them, but a ton of it comes from again, a lack of appropriate surrounding cast on that Unit.

Whether Larsen will be that guy...ehhh...we'll see i guess. I sure hope so, but i'm not taking that to the bank just yet. :laugh:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah. Part of it is age-related decline, that's natural. But a part of it also comes from being the sole focal point of a team's offense, without a lot of support in the form of secondary scoring, defensive support, anyone else to really take the heat off offensively or even really physically, etc. Hopefully a full year of Sutter will help, along with hopefully some further progression from guys like Bo+Bae, and obviously the addition of another legitimate top-line caliber winger in Eriksson to the mix.

Just getting a quality RH shooting Powerplay point man behind them could go a long ways in rejuvenating the Twins...or at least helping to offset the natural decline of aging. The fall-off in the effectiveness of the PP hits the Twins pretty hard. Part of that may be on them, but a ton of it comes from again, a lack of appropriate surrounding cast on that Unit.

Whether Larsen will be that guy...ehhh...we'll see i guess. I sure hope so, but i'm not taking that to the bank just yet. :laugh:

Ya, part of the Sedins' decline from "peak" can also be attributed to the team's decline from peak. In other words, put the 2009-11 Sedins on this current roster today and what do you have? Definitely not 112pt Hart Trophy winning Hank or 104pt Daniel. On the 2015-16 team - and this is just a guess - I would put both of them around the 80-85 point mark, tops. Lack of support, decline of their mainstay winger, and general decline in scoring across the NHL would drop them each 20-30 points IMO.

So where are Sedins *in isolation* compared to 5 years ago? Probably 80-90%. Not the same but not that far down either. Main source of decline is mainly (IMO) a less talented team around them (esp impacts them as they are both playmakers more than finishers) and a decline across the league in scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad