When will Mark Giordano relinquish his position as the best Flames defenseman?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Right now, Gio is widely viewed as the Flames best defenseman.

Obviously, this won't be permanent. At some point in the future Gio will not be the best defenseman playing for the Flames. Let's use our predictive powers and guess when that will be while keeping in mind the ages of some Flames D.

End of 15/16 season?
Gio age 31
Dougie age 22
Brodie age 25

End of 16/17 season?
Gio age 32
Dougie age 23
Brodie age 25

End of 17/18 season?
Gio age 33
Dougie age 24
Brodie age 26

End of 18/19 season?
Gio age 34
Dougie age 25
Brodie age 27
Kyl/Andersson age 22

End of 19/20 season? Brodie's contract expires and he becomes UFA
Gio age 35
Dougie age 26
Brodie age 28
Kyl/Andersson age 23

End of 20/21 season? Dougie's contract expires and he becomes UFA
Gio age 36
Dougie age 27
Brodie age 29
Kyl/Andersson age 24

Later?

My guess will be at the end of the 18/19 season. What's yours?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
He already has - Douglas Hamilton is now Calgary's best defenseman.

colbertmicgif.gif

Aug 3, 2010
When someone else performs at a higher level consistently than he does during the season/postseason.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I think Brodie will take the reigns for a season at most before Dougie hits his peak. Dougie is a mix of Brodie's skating and passing and Gio's defensive responsibility and offensive acumen.

Brodie's going to have the most value when paired with that stud true #1. He's the Suter to a Weber, the Seabrook to a Keith... can he be a #1 on a lot of teams, sure, but you know you're in a good spot when he's your #2.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think Brodie will take the reigns for a season at most before Dougie hits his peak. Dougie is a mix of Brodie's skating and passing and Gio's defensive responsibility and offensive acumen.

Brodie's going to have the most value when paired with that stud true #1. He's the Suter to a Weber, the Seabrook to a Keith... can he be a #1 on a lot of teams, sure, but you know you're in a good spot when he's your #2.

Disagree. I think Brodie is the Keith to a Seabrook. He's as close as it gets to Duncan Keith at the same age. If we had a Seabrook for him, instead of a Giordano and a Hamilton, we would legitimately be talking about how much of a franchise D we have on our hands. Unfortunately for him Gio and, presumably Dougie, are better than Seabrook.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Brodie surpass him by the mid of the 2016 season. He is already increasingly close while being better defensively. Honestly I think that Brodie will be a top 5 Defender in the league within three years alongside Subban, Karlsson, Doughty, And Josi.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

A significant number of Predators fans (on HF anyway) wanted to keep Suter over Weber.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Brodie and Gio are comfortably above Hamilton. That may change in a year or two

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I think Brodie is already even with Gio and probably will be seen on par at the end of this season, End of next season Brodie is definite #1 Gio #2 and Hamilton #3 with the gap closed to almost nothing.

Brodie didn't get nearly enough credit for "Engelland stepping up his game" Brodie made a guy who should never be in the top 4 look like he was handling some of those minutes.
He was a top 4 scorer among Dmen and #1 in +/- league-wide before getting paired with a Boat Anchor.
List of every Dman who played more ES time than TJ last year: Drew Doughty, Erik Karlsson, Ryan Suter (who was having a great year even for him) that's fairly decent company 2 top 3 Dmen on teams missing a top 4 guy.
And who in the league is a better stretch passer? Letang with Malkin and Crosby doesn't hit targets the way TJ hits Jooris and Bouma.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad