Speculation: When will Auston Matthews get the C?

When does Matthews get the C?

• Total voters

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It’s a frustrated ”fan forum”
Technically, the etymology of fan is fanatic so I get the confusion . Calling oneself a fan however, just because you identify as a TML fan while hating the the team is weird.
I personally can't wait for the season to start. Loathing the guys who suit up in the blue and white as some do here just isn't cool...if you profess to be a fan of the team.
You don't have to think they are golden but the vitriol is off the charts.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
When they haven’t even played a game in 5 months you should probably get over it.
Find it strange that people will be miserable until April.
56 and counting....wtf do you expect. Top paid players turning tail in the playoffs. I never recall "FANS" turning on Gilmore, Clark, Sittler, Salming.
Top 3 ticket prices in the league, top 2 richest club, failure on the ice.
When you command the % of the cap that certain players command, you are not a real Leaf in the hearts of many until you have given all, taken your lumps, stood up for the Crest, defended the honour.
Fans and fellow alumni cried for Salmìng, not just because of the terrible disease, but because everyone saw what a man, a warrior and a Leaf he was and what he gave.
Fast forward to MM turning back at the blueline, taking a slap, Stamkos being tough,
If you cannot see that?!

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
56 and counting....wtf do you expect. Top paid players turning tail in the playoffs. I never recall "FANS" turning on Gilmore, Clark, Sittler, Salming.
When you command the % of the cap that certain players command, you are not a real Leaf in the hearts of many until you have given all, taken your lumps, stood up for the Crest, defended the honour.
Fans and fellow alumni cried for Salmìng, not just because of the terrible disease, but because everyone saw what a man, a warrior and a Leaf he was and what he gave.
Fast forward to MM turning back at the blueline, taking a slap, Stamkos being tough,
If you cannot see that?!
Pre interweb, criticisms were tempered due to the risk of a bitch slap by fans who didn't appreciate it. Keyboard warriors are the bravest fans in human history and rightfully so.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What’s team friendly about paying a 35 year old Rielly 7.5? It’s a good cap hit today but he got himself longterm security in exchange for a discount today, that contract has by far the highest risk of becoming an anchor on our team.
You're worried about $7.5M six years down the road? What about the $11M anchor we're saddled with for two more years?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you cannot see that?!
Everyone see's it, some just choose not to live in misery daily until it changes.
To each their own I guess, wallow away.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There’s an undeniable energy that Matthews creates when he’s scoring goals on home ice. Sends a shock through the crowd and lifts his team up. No other Leaf player can replicate this. It’s that energy that makes the Leafs “his team” and one of the factors that would lead a team to name him captain at a young age.

That said, as Matthews matures and grows into a more veteran career stage, the bar to be captain goes up. The off ice. The leadership. The alignment with management. The success. I think what it means to be a young captain at 22 the team can grow up with vs a captain at 26 who is a more fully former captain requires different things.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Everyone see's it, some just choose not to live in misery daily until it changes.
To each their own I guess, wallow away.
Some choose not to give credit that has not been earned yet. It takes away from those who have earned the respect. If you are 14 AM and MM are stars with skills superior to almost anyone.
If you are 64, they are skilled players who are pampered and show an unwillingness to give to the crest anywhere close to many stars and leaders of the past.
If you compare Mitchy braveness to the punishment that Salming stood up to against broadsheet bullies...
Skills are unquestioned, so far the love of the crest is financial.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I would rather give it to Mr Bean.
But sometimes i got the feeling he already got the C.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Some choose not to give credit that has not been earned yet. It takes away from those who have earned the respect. If you are 14 AM and MM are stars with skills superior to almost anyone.
If you are 64, they are skilled players who are pampered and show an unwillingness to give to the crest anywhere close to many stars and leaders of the past.
If you compare Mitchy braveness to the punishment that Salming stood up to against broadsheet bullies...
Skills are unquestioned, so far the love of the crest is financial.
This seems like some type of riddle, not sure what you're trying to say.
The one part I do get, I agree with. Hockey was much tougher in the 70's.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Based on what he symbolizes, I think Matthews will get the C once Tavares's contract expires and presuming he is not re-signed.

I agree with the many others though -- the C should go to Rielly, and should have gone to him at the time as well.

Reactions: Obo

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It should be training camp this year. It's time. I am seemingly one of the few who actually still thinks JT is a fine player for this team, but even I admit it's time for the C to be passed. Auston has 5 years under contract, he's going to lead this team in all time goals before long, and hopefully will be raising a Cup in a Leafs uni. It's time.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Great captains and leaders lead by example.

Short-term commitments to the team to maximize earnings is not reflective of a player that puts winning ahead of personal gain, as there is no "I" in team.

The more personal cap space you consume the more you weaken the supporting cast in a Salary Cap World, and the shorter the contract the more you ensure you're among the highest paid.

Actions speak louder than words and Matthews actions represent more of a mercenary and hired gun Persona than someone willing to put down long-term roots and then put team as his highest and first priority.

Matthews has a god given talent and an elite goal scorer (among the best in the World), so as a hired gun at top $$ he earns his keep, but as leader to keep insisting he be among the highest paid in the game to do so he falls short in what you would want from your captain to set an example others will follow. IMO

Other Leafs players follow his example using him as a comparable to personal wealth and gain, but not into battle and do anything it takes to win.

Not everyone is cut from the same cloth and not everyone makes a good leader or captain.

Of all the current Leafs its Morgan Rielly that carries himself in interviews and on the ice as a leader and the one most deserving to wear the C on the Leafs, IMO

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario

Short-term commitments to the team to maximize earnings is not reflective of a player that puts winning ahead of personal gain, as there is no "I" in team.

The more personal cap space you consume the more you weaken the supporting cast in a Salary Cap World, and the shorter the contract the more you ensure you're among the highest paid.

Actions speak louder than words and Matthews actions represent more of a mercenary and hired gun Persona than someone willing to put down long-term roots and then put team as his highest and first priority.

Matthews has a god given talent and an elite goal scorer (among the best in the World), so as a hired gun at top $$ he earns his keep, but as leader to keep insisting he be among the highest paid in the game to do so he falls short in what you would want from your captain to set an example others will follow. IMO

Other Leafs players follow his example using him as a comparable to personal wealth and gain, but not into battle and do anything it takes to win.

Not everyone is cut from the same cloth and not everyone makes a good leader or captain.

Of all the current Leafs its Morgan Rielly that carries himself in interviews and on the ice as a leader and the one most deserving to wear the C on the Leafs, IMO
I agree with Mo as the next captain but he has been part of the loser culture longer than MM/AM.
And all this talk of AM being a hired mercenary is a joke.
12 years he will have given to this team at the end of his next contract.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I potentially peg Rielly to be the next in line for that honour after Tavares considering the term remaining on the former's contract.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I think this needs to happen sooner rather than later.

Why? He has never been captain of any team at any level he has played at, so why are you so convinced he needs to be the captain of the team with the biggest fanbase in the NHL?

One of the biggest what if with this team, IMO, is what would have happened if Matthews got the C instead of Tavares.

:laugh:

Ridiculous.

I think Matthews has more of a voice and is more of a leader than Tavares (who is more suited to lead a veteran team).

How the hell would you know? You're not in the room or around the team so don't have the slightest clue who does or doesn't have a voice, nor the size of anyone's voice.

You desperately need to learn that your opinions are not facts.

I disagree. I do think the Captain of the team is the one who is expected to step up and prepare the team for coming challenges like playoff rounds and elimination games etc.

Yeah and Matthews has proven himself a real gamer in those situations eh?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
What are his qualifications to be the captain? I have:

1. Is the best player on the team

And that isn't an actual qualification for the captaincy - Lafleur, Bossy, and Orr were never captains of their teams and all were better players than Matthews is ever likely to be.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023

There is indeed no "I" in team, but there is a "AM"

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Never. He's not a leader, except in the mercenary dept. Why would you give a mercenary the C?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
It should be training camp this year. It's time.

Lh really? Based on what, exactly? The tremendous leadership he shows by taking the team on his back and carrying them on long playoff runs like Gilmour and Clark did?

Never. He's not a leader, except in the mercenary dept. Why would you give a mercenary the C?

Because some people aren't very smart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad