Speculation: When will Auston Matthews get the C?

When does Matthews get the C?

• Total voters

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I think this needs to happen sooner rather than later. One of the biggest what if with this team, IMO, is what would have happened if Matthews got the C instead of Tavares. I think Matthews has more of a voice and is more of a leader than Tavares (who is more suited to lead a veteran team).

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
What would have happened if Matthews got the C instead of Tavares? Absolutely nothing different.
I think fans care about this a lot more than the players. There's no reason to take it away from Tavares.

I disagree. I do think the Captain of the team is the one who is expected to step up and prepare the team for coming challenges like playoff rounds and elimination games etc.

If there's one thing about this team, they come off as robotic and predicatable in these moments.

Why no option for “when multiple cup champion Tavares retires and passes the reins” ?

What team do we cheer for?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
What are his qualifications to be the captain? I have:

1. Is the best player on the team

And that's it. You can't point to any team success, he hasn't been the problem in the playoffs but neither has he been a solution, he's fairly anonymous in the community, he certainly hasn't sacrificed his self-interest in negotiations, that leaves locker room and team dynamics, which I mean nobody here can say anything relevant about.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I think this needs to happen sooner rather than later. One of the biggest what if with this team, IMO, is what would have happened if Matthews got the C instead of Tavares. I think Matthews has more of a voice and is more of a leader than Tavares (who is more suited to lead a veteran team).

Should have been Rielly at the time imo. I'd still pick Mo if Tavares leaves in two years. Won't happen though.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
C'mon guys, we've watched this guy play. We've watched his emotion. The success hasn't been there obviously, but there are many moments where he carried the team on his back especially during the past post season.

He for sure is captain material.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Should: JT should not have been given the C (or signed at all, but that's a separate issue). Rielly was most deserving then (especially after Matty's antics), and now.

Likely will: JT will keep the C until his current contract expires, and he is (hopefully) kicked upstairs. At which point Matty gets it.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Should: JT should not have been given the C (or signed at all, but that's a separate issue). Rielly was most deserving then (especially after Matty's antics), and now.

Likely will: JT will keep the C until his current contract expires, and he is (hopefully) kicked upstairs. At which point Matty gets it.

JT will get a contract after this one, he is still a very good player. I also think it surprise people how much he gets to be honest. Probably 4 years and 8m on open market. In Toronto he will have to take a lot less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad