When to rebuild?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They traded a 3rd line winger and a 6th defenseman for crazy overpayments it isn't rebuilding. Rebuilding is when you move away from an old core and "build" a new one clearly they haven't done that all they did was stock up on picks to fix the worst prospect pool in the nhl.

The problem that we ran into was to much tinkering hoping for a magical cure all to be found. Sutter got desperate and clearly panicked. Much like the Flames the Canucks have made some desperate moves (Hodgson, Grabner trades and re-signing Bieksa over Erhoff) but unlike the Flames they still have some good youngish pieces to retool/rebuild around (Kesler, Edler, Garrison, Hamhuis Schneider). What needs to happen is the Twins will have to take more of a back seat role Luo will have to be moved (obviously) and Ballard will have to be bought out. The Canucks need to build their offense around Kesler.

My argument is that the way the Sharks are doing it, they might be able to build a new core even while they're remaining competitive. They have already managed to develop Logan Couture, who is becoming an elite player in the league. They have a playoff roster which is full of young, well-developed players and they're getting the job done. Who knows who they will pick up with all of their 2nd and 3rd round picks. The law of averages dictates that at least one will probably be a gem. If they keep going this way, when Thornton and Marleau are past their sell-by date, selling them off for assets might not be necessary, as their new core will already be in place.

The problem with the Flames is that they were trying to surround their core with veterans, and paying absolutely no attention to "the next ones," so to speak. This is the type of management which leads franchises to a rebuild- when your current core is useless, and the next core is non-existent. As long as the Canucks make room on their roster for youth, and make a conscious effort to develop the next core, they don't need to worry about a true rebuild.

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
Oiler fan here.

Don't hire Tambellini to replace Gillis.
Unless you really want McDavid, he is good at getting those 1st overalls and nothing else.

Bye guys!

This makes me want to fire Feaster and hire Tambellini to a 2 year contract. That would give us 2 years to rebuild our roster and come up with a solid GM going forward from there (McDavid-2015). :naughty:

Last edited:

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
Thank you for the replies. These are interesting reflections. It really comes down to the percentage of change - a team is never quite static.

I myself have been impressed by the cool manner with which Wally Buono (speaking of calgary and vancouver) sheds veterans from the bc lions. He does so without regard to their stature in fan sentiment.

Similarly I think that the canucks have to be ready to part with pieces of the core that could be exchanged for younger, faster replacements.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
In Edmonton, while its been nice collecting young talent. Rebuilding is horrible. It sucks not having meaningful games to watch down the stretch and no playoffs. I understand that it's for the greater good but I don't think the Canucks need a rebuild just yet, just some tinkering. Look at what the Flames did this year, I wouldn't call it a rebuild but in about 3 seasons they should be a playoff team for a number of years. (Just need a Kipper replacement)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad