WHEN should/will Miikka Kiprusoff have his # retired

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
What do you guys think the Flames will do if they can't reach out to Kipper to be at the ceremony or if he declines to show?

Do they still retire his number? If it's meant to be an honor to the player, but the player has no interest in accepting it, what is the point of doing it? Maybe they hold off until he changes his mind down the road?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What do you guys think the Flames will do if they can't reach out to Kipper to be at the ceremony or if he declines to show?

Do they still retire his number? If it's meant to be an honor to the player, but the player has no interest in accepting it, what is the point of doing it? Maybe they hold off until he changes his mind down the road?

At the end of his career, Kipper was all about himself.
No need to honor him

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
At the end of his career, Kipper was all about himself.
No need to honor him

Ask yourself what you'd do if you were 6 months away from retirement in whatever profession you choose and your company wanted to move you to a different location. :laugh:

Seriously, it's nothing to be bitter about. Kipper wanted to play out the year (and his career) in this city, that should never be looked at as a bad thing unless it's a Sundin or Alfredsson situation where he then immediately signs with another team in the offseason. And he wouldn't have netted that great a return anyway.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Leafs were offering a 3rd or 4th round pick, if I remember correctly. As I said at the time, having Kipper finish his career as a Flame was far more beneficial than an extra mid round pick.

I'm sure they'll find a way to bring him over to retire his jersey, eventually.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
The Leafs were offering a 3rd or 4th round pick, if I remember correctly. As I said at the time, having Kipper finish his career as a Flame was far more beneficial than an extra mid round pick.

But if they can't... do they still retire it? Can anyone think of a time that a player's jersey was retired without them being there (and not being dead)?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Kipper more than earned the right to do what he did after everything he did for this franchise. By how the situation was handled, it's obvious management felt the same way.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure Kiprusoff still lives in the area and my understanding is that it's for the sake of his kids. I've heard (rare) stories of people seeing him with little outings like buying art in the Calgary area.

That said it also sounds like he's the Finnish U-20 goalie coach now which means he would be hard to bring back for a ceremony if it conflicts with work.

...I'd kill to have him as a coach. Especially after all the stories I've heard about him early in his career.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It's still pisses me off that Theo's not up there yet, he was supposed to be after his attempted comeback and legit retirement, but than he talked some **** about Conroy and Tanguay's (iirc) seasons that year and we heard nothing about it since..

And for sure Kipper. How the **** can anyone be bitter towards the guy for anything? Seriously.

Jonathan34Noete

May 2, 2014
Alberta
It's still pisses me off that Theo's not up there yet, he was supposed to be after his attempted comeback and legit retirement, but than he talked some **** about Conroy and Tanguay's (iirc) seasons that year and we heard nothing about it since..

And for sure Kipper. How the **** can anyone be bitter towards the guy for anything? Seriously.

Totally agree that no one should be bitter towards kipper
He did alot for me he was the goalie I looked up to when I started playing and I'm sure I'm not the only one that looked up to him

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I'm still mad about that, he totally earned that spot.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

IIRC, he was also giving **** about Regehr. That said, I'm right there with you in thinking that Theo's #14 should be up there already.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Kipper left a bitter taste in my mouth by not having a press conference to announce his retirement. Like really Kip? Just gonna leave like that?

**** man give the fans 15 mins of your time, 15 FINAL mins of your time and just say goodbye. THATS IT! Never again will he ever be pestered to do a press conference (not like he did interviews anyways). Just once more! But no, he couldn't even give us that respect.

Hey its just MO. Has he earned it? Arguable. But it pissed me off. Just how I feel.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

I agree about Fleury, he's one of my all-time favourite Flames, up there with Iggy and MacInnis. One hundred percent deserves it. It also pisses me off that he's not in the HHOF.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fleury is my favorite player of all time but I do not believe he deserves to be honored.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You don't need to elaborate, but I'm curious is it for personal reasons or because what he did or didn't do on the ice?
Because he insulted people within the organization publicly. Why would the Flames honour someone that shows them very little respect? To me you simply can't because it's about more than just their on ice contributions.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Because he insulted people within the organization publicly. Why would the Flames honour someone that shows them very little respect? To me you simply can't because it's about more than just their on ice contributions.

Well, you could argue that the organization is about more than just the people he insulted. Think of all the people who criticize various members of the Flames' organization on this site. It isn't always a sign of disloyalty to the organization.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, you could argue that the organization is about more than just the people he insulted. Think of all the people who criticize various members of the Flames' organization on this site. It isn't always a sign of disloyalty to the organization.
He criticize the Flames as a whole because he was selfish and ungrateful, he was mad that he didn't make the team, when quite frankly he was too slow and didn't deserve to make the team and should have been grateful for the opportunity he was given. He is and always was a selfish person, that part of him has not changed and because of that he does not deserve such a high honour.

I also didn't think Nieuwendyk deserved it either. I don't feel Vernon did either. IMO the only people that should have their number honoured in any way are MacDonald and MacInnis, with Iginla's coming when he retires.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I personally think he should be honoured, but in no way would I say you are wrong for having the opinion that you do.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I personally think he should be honoured, but in no way would I say you are wrong for having the opinion that you do.
It's a tough opinion to have when it's your own childhood hero, so I don't believe there is anyway it could be wrong. If someone did tell me I was, I might implode or just put them on ignore or something

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad