WHEN should/will Miikka Kiprusoff have his # retired

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Not a big fan of retiring numbers. I mean what if, down the road, we trade for a veteran franchise goalie that's better than Kipper and has worn that number his entire career. Are you gonna tell tell the guy he can't wear the number? To me, that could be a potential trade deal breaker. I'd retire Iggy's, when he's done and that's about it. Fleury was great but I wouldn't call him one of the best players in game during the time period he played.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Iginla's the only one out of all these who for sure gets their jersey retired. Kipper should but likely won't, and Fleury I'd be fine with the Forever a Flame thing.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Id say forever a flame, but if vernon was retired kipper has to be.
Edit: was vernon retired?

Aug 3, 2010
Not a big fan of retiring numbers. I mean what if, down the road, we trade for a veteran franchise goalie that's better than Kipper and has worn that number his entire career. Are you gonna tell tell the guy he can't wear the number? To me, that could be a potential trade deal breaker. I'd retire Iggy's, when he's done and that's about it. Fleury was great but I wouldn't call him one of the best players in game during the time period he played.

Then he can suck it up and be a man and have respect for his fellow player. And if he plays for even half the tenure Kiprusoff did delivering the same or better level of results, maybe he gets to be Forever a Flame.

Trae

Calgary

Retired or not, I honestly can't imagine any player coming into the flames organization would even WANT to wear #34 or #12, and if they did I imagine the organization would advise against it. On top of that any player that is traded to us who is already an established star would never be retired by us since they would have established themselves already with another team and played a lot of games for them and thus wouldn't really make criteria for a retiree. If a player is drafted by us or it's a young kid it's not going to matter anyways, they won't get a say anyways and generally know their place.

Bottom line is it's a non-issue.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Well I mean, the greatest goalie in the history of a 30+ year old franchise who spent his entire career with the team. It's pretty much a given

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I love Kipper, but even under the circumstance he handled things poorly, at the end. I think it left kind of a sour taste in the organizations mouth. It'll be a while before we see his number retired, he had a lot going on but it seemed almost disrespectful, the way it ended. He didn't owe the Flames anything but without them he coulda been Berra. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto

If I'm a player comjng to CGY, no way I want to wear the number of a legend. The legend that's coming isn't a Flame legend so he has no right wearing Kipper's number or Iggy's number. Fans don't want joe blow, some 4th liner coming and wearing 12. Because that's Iggy. Great way to remember the past

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't care if we would've had a 3rd or 2nd or B lebel prospect for him, could never see Kipper in another jersey

A lot of people said the same thing about Iggy. Now, he's worn two others but could you ever imagine him wearing one that didn't have 12 on the back? I couldn't and I don't think he would.

Duane

Feb 22, 2010
Forever a Flame is is totally lame. Sounds to me like they won't retire any more numbers. Fleury's #14 should definitely be in the rafters. No one else will ever wear it, they let some guy wear it in a pre season game, and the guy got booed, so he quickly changed numbers. #2 should also be retired. As for the lame Forever a Flame, Joe Mullen and Joel Otto are the first two that come to mind.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
When you have a guy whose number is so fondly remembered that the crowd dislikes a player wearing that number, it is the right thing to do to retire that number. It is the case with Fleury, and it is going to be the case for Kipper too. So I hope they retire his 34.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad