Line Combos: When McDavid comes back, what are the lines?

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Benson-McDavid-Haas
DRY
Archi-Sheahan-Chiasson
Khaira-Cave-Russell

This pending Benson shows similar to last game, IMO I think last game was more Benson being more comfortable and less so it being about chemistry with Sheahan and Archi. If he continues to show well reading the play at NHL speed I expect Tippett to put him with McDavid similar to Yama with Drai. This has to be somewhat what Holland and Tippett intended as well considering they recalled him a second time without the intention to play him in the bottom 6

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Unless Holland pulls off a miracle, McDavid is stuck with Kassian and Neal. It's hardly ideal, but it'll have to do.

The Oilers' 4th line is somewhat embarrassing. I liked Edmonton Journal's David Staples' comment the other day: "When Khaira, Cave, and Russell have the puck, I'm always thinking... get to the red line and shoot it in! Get to the red line and shoot it in! Even when they have a two-on-one, I'm thinking that...".

Reactions: Aerchon

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Unless Holland pulls off a miracle, McDavid is stuck with Kassian and Neal. It's hardly ideal, but it'll have to do.

The Oilers' 4th line is somewhat embarrassing. I liked Edmonton Journal's David Staples' comment the other day: "When Khaira, Cave, and Russell have the puck, I'm always thinking... get to the red line and shoot it in! Get to the red line and shoot it in! Even when they have a two-on-one, I'm thinking that...".

Kassian is suspended. Neal is hurt. So who do you put with McDavid in their absence?

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
That isn't true in the slightest, have you not watched this year?

He's the weak link on his line with Cave and Prussell right now
I have watched and disagree with you and seemingly most of HFOil. Let's see who the coaches agree with over the next few months. aka Kharia will not be in the press box while those 4 players are in the lineup.

Reactions: Samus44

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have watched and disagree with you and seemingly most of HFOil. Let's see who the coaches agree with over the next few months. aka Kharia will not be in the press box while those 4 players are in the lineup.
Taking a couple fights doesn't make you good or useful, it just means you fought. Khaira has been the worst regular oiler for like the last 3 months

Reactions: phillipmatchett

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If we get behind in a game, I really hope Tippet resists the urge to throw Mcdavid and Drai together. Keep the Drai line intact and keep pummelling them by following up with a McDavid line.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
McD can’t come back from injury and be saddled with junk, I think you have to break up the DRY line and spread it out. The best way to go about it is up for debate but I think that’s where you start.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Kharia's been weak this year but not nearly as bad as HF thinks. It seems this city needs a whipping boy every year, like Benning last year. I think the coaching staff looks at him as a guy who's young and big with good hands and feet who's willing to develop into a physical presence on a checking line while being an excellent PK guy. Every player makes multiple mistake every game, hockey's a game of mistakes, but Kharia being the whipping boy has every single one highlighted so of course he looks bad. He's been serviceable and this team has been good because everybody has bought in and filled a role, that includes Kharia.

Reactions: Chet Manley

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
With Neal out indefinitely and Kassian out until the end of the month, the lines are gonna be weird.

I imagine McDavid probably gets shoehorned in with players he’s played with before and becomes basically our 2nd line with rotating line mates.

So basically:

Nuge-Drai-Yamo
Gagner/Benson-McD-Chaisson/Archibald

Probably ends up being

Benson-McD-Archibald

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I know people won't like this one, but if Neal's out for a while and McDavid's back, I won't mind tossing Granlund in that spot.

He's doesn't add much, but he can play and keep up with skill (see his time with the Sedins). Benson is another option, but it might be better to keep him on a lower line.

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Granlund-McDavid-Chiasson
Benson-Sheahan-Archibald
Khaira-Haas-Russell

Longer term, I think it's better to have Neal in RNH's spot on Drai's line and resurrect McNuge.

RNH-McDavid-Kassian
Neal-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Benson-Haas-Chiasson
Nygard/Granlund-Sheahan-Archibald

Spares: Khaira, Gagner, Russell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 23 man limit disappears after the TDL, yes?

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He needs a LW, IMO Benson isn't ready just yet and should continue to play with Sheahan and Archibald. He needs a LW now, not next season, literally right now.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If this was EA sports I would doubleshift McD.

DRY
Chiasson-McD-Haas
BSA
Khaira-McD-Cave
Granlund(designated PKer)

That's not as crazy as it sounds particularly if Bouch comes in as a 7th d and they go 11/7. Both sets of wingers are only playing about 10 minutes 5 on 5 anyways where McDavid plays closer to 18. Though I may swap Cave with Gagner.

You can also give a shift here and there where RNH, Drai or Sheahan centre one of those two McDavid lines if the ice time gets too high or play one of Gagner and Haas as centre on the opposite line for a shift or two.

As it gets into the final 10 minutes of the game, whichever are the best 2 wingers of the 4 keeps getting shifts, while the other two slowly disappear. If the team needs a goal rather than preventing a goal, maybe even swap out McDavid and Sheahan.

Last edited:

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Nuge/Drai/Yammo
Benson/McD/Archie
Jujar/Sheahan/Chiasson
Prusell/Haas/Gagner

Not a fan of splitting Arch/Sheahan but Arch/McD have some chemistry.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
With Neal out indefinitely and Kassian out until the end of the month, the lines are gonna be weird.

I imagine McDavid probably gets shoehorned in with players he’s played with before and becomes basically our 2nd line with rotating line mates.

So basically:

Nuge-Drai-Yamo
Gagner/Benson-McD-Chaisson/Archibald

Probably ends up being

Benson-McD-Archibald

Benson 1st line? really?

Haas McD Archibald
NDY
Benson Sheahan Neal
Khaira Cave Prussell :(

If Draisaitl and McD wasnt on the team, the woukd be the worst team in the leuage.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He needs a LW, IMO Benson isn't ready just yet and should continue to play with Sheahan and Archibald. He needs a LW now, not next season, literally right now.

He really does. If Neal was in the lineup I would suggest that it could wait until next season but with Neal out (potentially for the season) the need is there.
I just dont know if there is anything Holland can do.
With all of the players who are injured right now and all of the call ups from the Condors it has made a bad cap situation even worse. As a result of the recent injury issue it means that Holland has less than $500,000 of wiggle room.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Benson 1st line? really?

Haas McD Archibald
NDY
Benson Sheahan Neal
Khaira Cave Prussell :(

If Draisaitl and McD wasnt on the team, the woukd be the worst team in the leuage.

This was pre-the last game

And ugh

Well

Yeah

However, I firmly believe a move needs to happen.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
It does depend on when Neal and Nygard get back. I'm not sure if Benson has 100% earned his spot on that 3rd line despite the fact he has played well in his last two. I don't mind Chiasson-Haas-Nygard for a 4th line. Unless we get another top 6 winger, we'll likely be running Neal-McDavid-Kassian (again, when all of them get back).

Other than the Carolina game Benson hasn't looked good. Nor has Cave for that matter. I can see both getting sent down Monday

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
As long as the Drai line stays together I really don't care. McDavid just needs players to pass him the puck as he head into the neutral zone and then it's bye bye. lol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Vs LA go:

DRY
Gagner McDavid Chaisson
Benson Sheahan Archi
Khaira Haas Russell

Nurse Bear
Jones Larsson
Benning Bouchard

Smith

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
If this was EA sports I would doubleshift McD.

DRY
Chiasson-McD-Haas
BSA
Khaira-McD-Cave
Granlund(designated PKer)
This might not be so bad for a few games.
Double shift McDavid and his time would total to 25 minutes with these lines. Of course BSA line is the second line though.
Added benefit 11 forwards 7 defensemen gets Bouchard in.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I wouldn’t mind giving benson and Archibald a look with McDavid once he gets back
Agreed!

I didn’t mind the Neil, Mcdavid, Kassian line but I think Archie and Benson would shine on that line.

my guess is it’s trial and error once again. It’s pointless guessing the lines because they might try a line for a game or two and change it. We also have other guys that are missing time that will change things once they are back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad