When is the 2013 qmjhl draft?

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
There's an American draft this year.

What? I don't think so...

The Q made it mandatory for clubs to select at least two Americans in the midget draft last year, and added two rounds to the draft as well .... I have heard of the no trading euro picks though, that is true and there was a story about that... Probably why Cam Russell got in on that before the rule went in effect.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
american players will not necessarily increase the caliber....think about it....we never see top end americans in our league and the decent ones are no better than what we have.

Hence why we increase the exposure of the league to those in the New England and Eastern areas of the US so it becomes more desirable for them to commit to a Q team. The O and dub have more higher end American players in their leagues which helps other Americans come and allow for higher end players follow suit. This would really help the league a lot.

hockey jockey

Feb 16, 2012
Hence why we increase the exposure of the league to those in the New England and Eastern areas of the US so it becomes more desirable for them to commit to a Q team. The O and dub have more higher end American players in their leagues which helps other Americans come and allow for higher end players follow suit. This would really help the league a lot.

I think the geography and language issue are deterents for American kids coming to the Q

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
american players will not necessarily increase the caliber....think about it....we never see top end americans in our league and the decent ones are no better than what we have.

It has nothing to do about caliber of play. It has everything to do with perception.
When the Q tries to recruit an american, and, i'm referring to the league. The league will have presentations at american showcase tournaments, etc.etc. The comment would always come back from families that there was no americans in the league, your teams dont want americans, etc..etc..etc.

the league instituted this draft rule, and now they can tell all the HS leagues,and parents, players, agents that there are approx. 40 americans drafted every year.

The league sent stats to the teams in november, out of 38 players drafted, only 5 were in camps in september. 12 players....12!!! 1/3rd of the players were not even contacted by telephone!!!

Having to draft americans does not change anything, does not bring more americans to the league. Teams carry on with their business as usual.

hockey jockey

Feb 16, 2012
I've talked to Americans drafted into the QMJHL, to Maritime teams, who had no idea that there were any teams in non-french cities/provinces.

Thats my point the league maybe could do a better job of selling themselves south of the border if they want to bring the quality US players.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Thats my point the league maybe could do a better job of selling themselves south of the border if they want to bring the quality US players.

Ye definitely. You would think these days you could do a quick google search and figure out all the information about the QMJHL but some people are lazy ;) QMJHL should definitely try to market itself to US players better but it's reallllllly tough to compete with Boston College, Boston University, etc. The CHL might want to think of giving the QMJHL a bigger portion of the US territory.

Another thing I notice, this isn't a problem, just a common misconception, but when a team in the Maritimes calls a kid (if they even bother) and try to sell them on coming to QMJHL camp, and they have an obvious french accent while telling the kid that the team is in an Anglo market, it likely comes off as a guy just saying whatever he can to get you to report.

Accessing US players is tough though. Top end guys are all committed to US colleges or the national development program, selling them on change isn't easy, especially if you're trying to get a Boston kid to move up to Chicoutimi :sarcasm:

Maybe they should add USA players as imports, it kind of works the same way as a Euro player, you don't waste a pick on them unless they commit to you or you just throw a pick at someone and forget the pick even happened ;)

hockey jockey

Feb 16, 2012
Corteau didn't come out and say that he has confirmed a team is going there. The article just says that the group that wants to bring a team to Sorel Tracy is putting more pressure on the league: http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lhjmq/sorel-tracy-la-pression-monte-12042013

For the anglophones: http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lhjmq/sorel-tracy-la-pression-monte-12042013

It sounds like they will get a team but nothing saying it will this fall, if that was going to happen would there be enough time to relocate a team for next season?

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Bathurst has been sold to a group that will keep the team in Bathrust...

Saint John, Halifax and Moncton won't be moving... CB is a possibility but unlikely...

Who's the QC team ?

Is Chicoutimi a team that would move perhaps? I don't really know what their financial situation is like but it's not a team you hear a whole lot about (at least in the maritimes).

rocketfan

Dec 25, 2008
I cant see PEI moving either wit the new name and what not. But since the team has bee eliminated it sure is quiet around here. Not even a season ticket campaign out yet so who would know. Sounds about right team is finally showing promise and fans are coming back so now will be the timeerge probably sells. But imo they will be here next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad