Prediction Contest: When is Keefe fired?

When does Keefe get fired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't understand what there waiting for

Either sack the guy or put the word out he's staying, it can't be that hard to make a decision so stop buggering around and let's get this sorted

Reactions: supermann_98

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake

Either sack the guy or put the word out he's staying, it can't be that hard to make a decision so stop buggering around and let's get this sorted
They're consistent. They gave out as much about WN & AM reason for missing games. I'm skeptical what Willie said but at least he said something. What possible reason could AM have for not talking?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If they were ready to announce today they possibly would have held off to not take away from the Green hiring in Ottawa. At least I believe that's how it works?

But another possibility: What if to a man each of the Leafs core during their exit interviews praised Keefe and insisted they had faith in him?

When Mitch was talking about being treated like gods he could have just as easily been referring to MLSE as well as the fans. It's been clear for years that core not only get everything they want but that MLSE makes their happiness/needs, etc. a priority.

And if they all insist they want Keefe back I find it difficult to believe Shanahan/Treliving would fire him anyway. Lastly, MLSE's motto as far as the Leafs are concerned is "run it back" and they have 8+ years of history of doing exactly that.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Not sure why Berube is a mistake. He is a hot commodity with a recent cup win. Who else? Do we wait for Sullivan or Cooper to be freed up? If those don't happen, then we're really up a creek. And no...please don't try and sell us on Q or...god forbid...Sutter. I'd burn every piece of TML gear I had and jump off the Gardiner if either of those things happened. I agree keeping the core 4 together is a mistake. As for Shanny, I think transitioning him into an advisor role (like Fletch) with no real power, is the best course. He saves face, the organization keeps some semblance of continuity for a new regime while allowing the new guard to chart a course without interference. And if, like Lou, he decides to move on to someone else, all the better. Its a win win, really.
I don't think he's a good coach. Nor do I think he's the right fit for this market, or the personality of these stars.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I can't believe some people want to bring this guy back

Oh who's available ? No good coach out in the market

Who cares who's in the market? . People don't get fired for not doing their job? For not being good at your job?

You could hire anyone and result will be the same. They'll make the playoffs and lose out in first round.

Then just give someone else a chance. Sick and tired of accepting mediocrity

Some of you are lost in who's available. He should be fired on ground for constantly embarrassing this franchise

Do I need to go over his embarrassing accolades?

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018

Who cares who's in the market? . People don't get fired for not doing their job? For not being good at your job?

You could hire anyone and result will be the same. They'll make the playoffs and lose out in first round.

Some of you are lost in who's available. He should be fired on ground for constantly embarrassing this franchise

Replacing a coach just for the sake of replacing them is foolish. It's action for its own sake. If you can't upgrade, then leave well alone.

put another way: What do you expect a new coach will do if no major changes are made to the roster? He might win or lose a few games here and there but his effect is likely to be lost in the noise -- at best.

IMHO the major problems with this team are over the coach's head. Keefe or any other coach isn't going to do much when the problem is with the team's strategy and vision. Shannahan is the problem, not that Keefe isn't one, but mowing the grass won't clear the woods for planting.

Bringing in a new coach without addressing the bigger problems in any way just means you'll need ANOTHER new coach in a few years. Motion without progress. that should be the LAST thing you want.

Reactions: Obo

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Replacing a coach just for the sake of replacing them is foolish. It's action for its own sake. If you can't upgrade, then leave well alone.

put another way: What do you expect a new coach will do if no major changes are made to the roster?

IMHO the major problems with this team are over the coach's head. Keefe or any other coach isn't going to do much when the problem is with the team's strategy and vision
bro I need someone in my life like you. Someone who believes in me although I really suck at my job

I mean who cares what he's going to do. Build your culture around accountability. Build it around that we are going to not accept anything less

Dude already got 10 lives here. He should have been fired right after montreal series

Too much love for a very medicore coach. He's tenure been an absolute disaster

0-8 in closing games. 12 our 13 games without more than 2 goals. 4%pp
50%at PK

Bro come on. More coaches have been fired for less. See Cassidy and Gallant

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I mean who cares what he's going to do. Build your culture around accountability. Build it around that we are going to not accept anything less

If we were building it around accountability how about the fact that Keefe and Woll between them stole 2 games in that playoff series? Shouldn't he be accountable for that as well as the perceived shortcomings?

If we're talking about accountability, real accountability gives credit for success, rather than just blame for failure.

If Woll doesn't get hurt the Leafs may well be the ones playing in Sunrise tonight. How's that on the coach? He only had 1 goaltender left, and he tried to pump up Samsonov and get the team to play tight D around him and he came damn close. Samsonov played out of his mind right... right until the moment where he suddenly didn't. Which is vintage Samsonov. I'm sorry I can't put that on Keefe.

Frankly Keefe was not set up for success this year. He really can't be, because of the cap tied up in 4 players that aren't playing well in Spring hockey over a fairly extended period of time. Which part of that problem is a new coach gonna solve? He gonna suddenly get Marner or Taveras to not disappear? He gonna wave his magic wiggle stick of doom and disappear Matthews' stomach bug?

Please, I'd love to hear what you expect the new coach to solve when the roster is this far out of balance and the cap space isn't there to fix it.

Reactions: fahad203

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton

He's gone. Shanahan has to sacrifice someone else and it still might not be enough. Keefe's chance was for Shanny and Tre to have the nards to break up the core last summer. Would the best player that they could have got in a Willy or Mitch trade been as good as Tanev or Walker? No shit. But the nards weren't there and the President ran it back. Or if they ran it back with a different coach thats at least a potential different outcome even without a core change. But the President was dedicated to the failed Dubas recipe.

Sheldon may have had a better outcome with some bigger summer changes. I think he had some input into the strange defense additions and they worked out not badly. But too many chances to risk another repeat.

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He's gone. Shanahan has to sacrifice someone else and it still might not be enough. Keefe's chance was for Shanny and Tre to have the nards to break up the core last summer. Would the best player that they could have got in a Willy or Mitch trade been as good as Tanev or Walker? No shit. But the nards weren't there and the meathead ran it back. Or if they ran it back with a different coach thats at least a potential different outcome even without a core change. But the meathead was dedicated to the same failed Dubas recipe.

Sheldon may have had a better outcome with some bigger summer changes. I think he had some input into the strange defense additions and they worked out not badly. But too many chances to risk another repeat.
Keefe is guaranteed gone. A sacrificial lamb is needed. He is nice and plump and ready to be gutted and put on the spit.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON

put another way: What do you expect a new coach will do if no major changes are made to the roster? He might win or lose a few games here and there but his effect is likely to be lost in the noise -- at best.

IMHO the major problems with this team are over the coach's head. Keefe or any other coach isn't going to do much when the problem is with the team's strategy and vision. Shannahan is the problem, not that Keefe isn't one, but mowing the grass won't clear the woods for planting.

Bringing in a new coach without addressing the bigger problems in any way just means you'll need ANOTHER new coach in a few years. Motion without progress. that should be the LAST thing you want.
Conversely,
Bringing back a coach who has a consistent record of losing against less talented teams, not being able to have an effective pp from near the end of the reg season onward, not being able to adapt systems and personnel properly during a 7 game series,
would be . . . insane.

And we're already there - should have been gone after losing to Montreal.

Reactions: fahad203

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I feel bad for Keefe. There are lots of times a coach needs to be replaced, but he happens to coach a team where the core has zero accountability. Maybe if they had addressed the core 2 seasons ago, he’d have some playoff success along with the team. He’s taking the hit for guys who go through the motions, take up half the cap, and leave you with scraps for the most part. A core lacking intensity but not 2nd,3rd,8th chances.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Still have lunatics running the asylum. Shanny's previous puppet may be gone but core's puppet Keefe is still here.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Trying to understand stupid is the same as trying to understand crazy. They are just a crazy stupid organization Kiwi. I think we'd be better off if you were running the roster decisions.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Should be a provision for:

When he's fired.

If there's one thing our club demonstrates, it's a lack of predictability outside of well...you know.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
They are rolling it back again. Pure garbage. Sick of this team.

Stop buying merch people.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Keefe is guaranteed gone. A sacrificial lamb is needed. He is nice and plump and ready to be gutted and put on the spit.
That seals it... I guess he's staying.

----------------------------------------

I think Keefe needs to be replaced... I thought he should have been replaced some time ago... but if there isn't anyone better.... do you make a move, when you know you will be worse off after?

Dreger thinks he will be fired. Is today the day?

That makes sense... this afternoon, and then the PR tomorrow....

Reactions: ToneDog

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
I think he's getting fired today, perfectly setting the table for the presser tomorrow.

Shanny should be shown the door, too. Oh well, still lots of time for that.

They are rolling it back again. Pure garbage. Sick of this team.

Stop buying merch people.
It's been five days since they were eliminated. :laugh:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

For sure, but that can’t be the only major change. No coach out there can go on a playoff run by themselves. Berube won a cup, but since then his rosters have been meh and he made the 2nd round just once. NMCs are a problem, but they have to figure it out.

Reactions: SImpelton

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Probably after the coaching carousel stops and they’re left with Hakstol.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
bro I need someone in my life like you. Someone who believes in me although I really suck at my job

Dude already got 10 lives here. He should have been fired right after montreal series

Too much love for a very medicore coach. He's tenure been an absolute disaster

0-8 in closing games. 12 our 13 games without more than 2 goals. 4%pp
50%at PK

Bro come on. More coaches have been fired for less. See Cassidy and Gallant
:laugh::laugh:
If we were building it around accountability how about the fact that Keefe and Woll between them stole 2 games in that playoff series? Shouldn't he be accountable for that as well as the perceived shortcomings?

If we're talking about accountability, real accountability gives credit for success, rather than just blame for failure.

If Woll doesn't get hurt the Leafs may well be the ones playing in Sunrise tonight. How's that on the coach? He only had 1 goaltender left, and he tried to pump up Samsonov and get the team to play tight D around him and he came damn close. Samsonov played out of his mind right... right until the moment where he suddenly didn't. Which is vintage Samsonov. I'm sorry I can't put that on Keefe.

Frankly Keefe was not set up for success this year. He really can't be, because of the cap tied up in 4 players that aren't playing well in Spring hockey over a fairly extended period of time. Which part of that problem is a new coach gonna solve? He gonna suddenly get Marner or Taveras to not disappear? He gonna wave his magic wiggle stick of doom and disappear Matthews' stomach bug?

Please, I'd love to hear what you expect the new coach to solve when the roster is this far out of balance and the cap space isn't there to fix it.
WUT??

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad