When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I don't have a problem with FiftyFifty's post/opinion... but you can't on one hand say Joe fan can't have an opinion on what happened in SJ, then later in your post BE Joe fan saying what the team needs most is months away from each other.

Unless, of course, you ARE Mrs. Mclellan - in which case, totally valid, and welcome to HF Oil.

Reactions: PulYou

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
People really do seem to like old spent coaches here. Quenneville, Trotz, Sutter are done. None of them really making a difference anymore and none of their teams excelling. Caps being the only one even close to meeting expectations.

The Kings were winning 2 cups despite Sutter as much as because of him. These were lineup W's. A kings team that managements had built up to be a cup contender. A team built to win playoff games. Simple as that.

The Hawks were loaded with talent. Someone like Deboers would have 3 cups as well with that kind of talent.

Trotz, maybe, but I doubt he's available.

For some reason fans here continue to want to try really burned out or old coaches. Its the same thing all the time here. People were thrilled when we got the old senile Pat Quinn. A guy that could barely put a coherent sentence together by the time he was here. Seems as if people like figureheads here as well. Thus people being so thrilled when the org got career hangers on like Nicholson, McLellan, Chia.

Guys like Krueger and Nelson were good here because we got some fresh ideas and fresher hockey minds. Its just amazing how the org canned the two best coaches it had in decades.

That kind of thinking got us Eakins FFS. He was touted as new and cutting edge wasn't he? He ruined players and was a disaster.

That being said our next coaching pick better be a good one.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Lucic last minute of a 6 v 4.

Brillaint coaching decision.

I wish someone would gif that last McDavid sequence, when every part of his body language screamed - I want to go coast to coast and take this **** over. He literally put the puck like 10 feet in front of him and geared up speed for a rush (I've never even seen him do it in that manner before) - and Looch couldn't get the puck back to him.

Get that guy off the ice when it matters. I get trying to save that contract and get him on track, but that was just embarrassing.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I can't argue with any of that and I've gotten away from my purpose of posting as it's not my goal to convince anyone to keep him. I always thought he had good line combinations in SJ however and yes he has always ridden his vets hard (although he's won that way).

But as devils advocate do you think he would be doing all that and lasting almost the whole season if his bosses didn't want him to be doing it? If that was the case, wouldn't he have been fired in January at the latest? Do you really think that Chia, Gretzky I, Gretzky II, Coffee, and whoever else don't have these conversations with him? And if they did and argued against what he is doing and he did it anyway, wouldn't he be gone a long time ago?
He’s still there because the guy the Oilers want to replace him with isn’t available right now. Nicholson pretty much said this loud and clear to the fans a couple weeks ago. They also don’t have anybody in the organization who could operate as an interim coach as Mclellan’s staff will be going as well. Fleming in Bakersfield is likely gone too so he isn’t getting called up. Only one who is somewhat qualified is Mactavish and that ship has probably sailed too as he hasn’t been seen publicly since Chiarelli was hired. It doesn’t take much to figure out why Mclellan is still here in March but that doesn’t mean he’ll still be here a month from now.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I wish someone would gif that last McDavid sequence, when every part of his body language screamed - I want to go coast to coast and take this **** over. He literally put the puck like 10 feet in front of him and geared up speed for a rush (I've never even seen him do it in that manner before) - and Looch couldn't get the puck back to him.

Get that guy off the ice when it matters. I get trying to save that contract and get him on track, but that was just embarrassing.
So... press box?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Lucic getting more than 18:00 a game makes no sense. He's hit 19+ a few times in the last 10 games even exceeded 20 mins.

I'm not saying he's the worse nhl player it's just that he's a big guy, this is a skating league now a days. No doubt he is regressing by the game, he's wearing out.

Most coaches should understand how to utilize him? :dunno:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Lucic getting more than 18:00 a game makes no sense. He's hit 19+ a few times in the last 10 games even exceeded 20 mins.

I'm not saying he's the worse nhl player it's just that he's a big guy, this is a skating league now a days. No doubt he is regressing by the game, he's wearing out.

McLellan's head is too far up his own ass to even use common sense. I have a player who has lost full confidence and has struggled massively this year. I'll continue slotting him in the top 6, when he has one goal in a long list of games along with not managing a damn point/goal since December on the PP. I thought once Letestu got traded, that would allow young guys like JP and Slepyshev to gain the opportunity to flourish on the PP, but nah. Cammalleri is the new Letestu, as McLellan would rather play him instead of actually developing JP/Slepyshev. Its no wonder Slepy wants a trade. Coaching has absolutely no f***ing idea on having players playing to their strengths and flourishing. They witness Lucic playing like horse shit, but still getting them juicy minutes, while they're on the damn bench. f*** McLellan and his dumb coaching staff.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Saw this from the Oilers Reddit.
"Mike Cammalleri and Milan Lucic have combined for 3 goals over their last 78 total games (Cammalleri 2 in 45 games & Lucic has 1 in 34). They played as the teams 2L wingers last night with Draisaitl as their center."

You're telling me 2 guys that have a combined 5 ****ing goals are more suited on Draisaitl's line instead of Slepyshev and Puljujarvi? Its as clear as day when those two are McLellan's favorites.
This after Mclellan called Draisatl out publicly again. You can’t make this stuff up. Anybody who doesn’t think Mclellan has lost his best players if not the entire room hasn’t been watching the games.

Reactions: McDaddy and oobga

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
This after Mclellan called Draisatl out publicly again. You can’t make this stuff up. Anybody who doesn’t think Mclellan has lost his best players if not the entire room hasn’t been watching the games.

You know he's a total moron when he's blaming the second highest producer on the team this year. RNH missed 18 games, and is still 3rd in scoring on this team. Tyler Pitlick and Benoit Pouliot have 13 goals/12 goals apiece compared to Lucic's 10. I guaranteed either of those two would've produced more goals on Connor's line. But yeah, please direct your blame on Draisaitl, McLellan. Making Connor and Draisaitl try to carry Lucic and his cement-like skating is smart. McLellan single-handily ruined Connor's chance of winning the Art Ross.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Only 11 more games left with this clueless asshole, clearly has had his favorites that he stubbornly stuck by at the cost of the entire season, Letestu, Lucic, Benning and Klef in many situations, BYE TODD!
And If I'm wrong, well there's no point even watching next season.

Last edited:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It's been such a strange season. Even as it is this team could've made the playoffs with decent coaches. They've had some good games and good results, but at some time it looked like the players really wanted TM to get fired. Maybe they've heard TM will be gone after this season and are putting in some effort again. I'm sure it also helps that Letestu is gone, as watching his usage had to be very demoralizing.

However, it seems clear TM has been getting some orders from a higher level (e.g. Lucic and Pulju).

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
It's been such a strange season. Even as it is this team could've made the playoffs with decent coaches. They've had some good games and good results, but at some time it looked like the players really wanted TM to get fired. Maybe they've heard TM will be gone after this season and are putting in some effort again. I'm sure it also helps that Letestu is gone, as watching his usage had to be very demoralizing.

However, it seems clear TM has been getting some orders from a higher level (e.g. Lucic and Pulju).

There was something clearly wrong right out of the gates and by the end of Nov it couldn't have been more obvious, they couldn't even put together a 2 game winning streak! Special teams were terrible, was this because Johnson and Woodcrap had long leashes or was Todd actually responsible for Letestu? Either way, he's responsible but ugh! They should've fired him in November, might have had a chance then. Lucic is a whole other problem now, press box him for a couple games.

Other than that I really hope they fire Todd, Woodcrap and Johnson bunch of shorx garbage.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Hey everyone, I am curious, how would a person discern whether or not someone is actually a quality coach or not? I am asking this because when both Eakins and Tmac were hired, they talked the talk, and I initially enjoyed listening to them, until later on I recognized that they didn't understand how to get the job done...in my eyes they were salesmen without the substance.

Bit how does one discern a salesman type of coach to a coach with substance, a coach who really gets it?

Reactions: PulYou

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Hey everyone, I am curious, how would a person discern whether or not someone is actually a quality coach or not? I am asking this because when both Eakins and Tmac were hired, they talked the talk, and I initially enjoyed listening to them, until later on I recognized that they didn't understand how to get the job done...in my eyes they were salesmen without the substance.

Bit how does one discern a salesman type of coach to a coach with substance, a coach who really gets it?

It's a good question. Maybe someone else can answer that better, but I would say a bad coach does something like:

- has a PP that hasn't even worked as a joke for some six months
- has a brutal PK and doesn't even try to make real changes
- doesn't make obvious choices or changes
- doesn't get his team prepared for the beginning of games and periods
- uses his favourite players at the crucial moments and OT, despite them being unusable or having not scored for months
- has his clear favourites, and some players he benches or criticises much more easily than the others
- doesn't do line matching
- has obviously lost the room with several ungly losses in a row
- buries a top prospect to the bottom6 and doesn't utilize him at all or properly on the PP
- promises things in public but doesn't keep them (PP is a reward, better PP usage for a young prospect)
- doesn't really believe in timeouts
- hinders his best players production by the choice of wingers
- creates the lines terribly, using his favourites in the top6 roles despite the lack of results

So to me someone doing the opposite would be one heck of a coach.

Reactions: Aerrol and PulYou

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I would seem like common sense that playing a guy hitting 240 lbs (somehow gaining weight through the season by his own admission) and is slow to start with >18 mins a night would be a terrible idea. Especially because we can all plainly see he is dead tired 15-20 seconds into every shift. But McLellan seems to be all about doing the opposite of what is common sense.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton

I don't think that. Seems more like Todd was trying to get Chiarelli fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad