When does Gallant get hired again?

When will Gallant be hired again to be head coach in the NHL?

• Total voters

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Seattle is probably hoping he doesn't find a gig before the end of the season so that they won't have to entertain the possibility of having Mike Babcock behind the bench next season.

Feel that Laviolette takes the Seattle job thanks to Francis-connections.

I wonder how many of these free coaches take a Team Canada job for the WHC in May, and then sign to new NHL team.

Last year Team Canada had Vigneault+Hakstol+Ruff+Kirk Muller combo.

This year it could be Gallant+Babcock etc

Laviolette proably coaches Team USA ?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Well they took us to the playoffs in 2 out of their 10 years while coaching the devils.

Including an appearance in the SCF (which Deboer then did with the Sharks). Anyways, I don't know why you're lumping their tenure together. We're talking about two coaches, one of whom - while not faultless - was better than the other IMO.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I said All Star break just because I feel Seattle should jump on him. Obviously other teams could use him but thye don't have to fire anyone.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
How would New Yorkers feel if the head coach of the Yankees only spoke french and couldnt do interviews in English?

I dont think its fair to pretend its not an importent component.

That being said as a Habs fan - i think there simply are obvious ways around it. Either hire a full time translator to shadow the coach in interviews (would be a PR type role) - or have an assistant coach who does speak French who could help with some interviews.

I don't watch MLB, but I guess baseball coach who speaks only french would be unable to communicate with his own locker room. What is excuse of Montreal for hiring french speacking coaches only?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't watch MLB, but I guess baseball coach who speaks only french would be unable to communicate with his own locker room. What is excuse of Montreal for hiring french speacking coaches only?

Obviously baseball players don't speak french. But i'm asking you to look at it from the other side, from fans, not players. How would fans react if the coach wasn't able to conduct any interviews in English?

Clearly Montreal is unique because players speak English (so it's obviously necessary to coach) - but much of the city/fans speaks more french than English, and a lot, only French. So it's a component that can't be ignored.

I'm a habs fan. I want the best coach, i don't care what language he speaks. I think you'll find the large majority of habs fans on HF feel this way too - and even a very large majority of habs fan in Montreal outside of HF. I just understand why there are some that feel the French speaking for the media/fans is an important component, and want to respect that too. I think what I suggested is a perfectly acceptable solution though. Hire the best coach bar none - and if he doesn't speak french - either ensure that one of the assistant coaches can speak french - and if not, just hire an extra PR/Media person who can be present in many of the post game/pre-game interviews from the coach and provide some translation.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
One would think Detroit would be a popular rumored destination when Blashill gets his walking papers. Guessing in the off season, really not a lot to accomplish attempting to bring him in now. Gallant and Yzerman are close and he was a very popular Red wing.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Obviously baseball players don't speak french. But i'm asking you to look at it from the other side, from fans, not players. How would fans react if the coach wasn't able to conduct any interviews in English?

Clearly Montreal is unique because players speak English (so it's obviously necessary to coach) - but much of the city/fans speaks more french than English, and a lot, only French. So it's a component that can't be ignored.

He may conduct interviews in english and then press will translate them into french.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't think any team in the hunt will fire their coach anymore. So many teams already used that card and the rest are either in a good spot or the coach is still rather new.

And i doubt Gallant is looking to coach a non-playoff team just for the sake of coaching 3 months.

I guess Dallas could be a wild card if they feel like Bowness is better as an assistant. The circumstances there are unique since Montgomery wasn't fired for reasons related to hockey and the HC job just sort of fell on Bowness who has never been a head coach before. I don't think he even had any intentions to become one.

But if that doesn't happen then yeah i think it'll likely be more of a summer thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad