When does Gallant get hired again?

When will Gallant be hired again to be head coach in the NHL?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So Gallant just got fired. When do you predict he gets hired again in the NHL?

Based on his recent track record he should be a very hot commodity.

Try be as precise as possible - I know that "by the end of the season" includes "in the next few days" - but just vote for the most specific option based on when you think he's hired again.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Seattle is probably hoping he doesn't find a gig before the end of the season so that they won't have to entertain the possibility of having Mike Babcock behind the bench next season.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
As soon as he wants to be. If he wants a job tomorrow in Detroit it's his. If he wants to take the month and maybe go to Jamaica? He can do that too. Maybe he wants to wait until the offseason and see what comes up, while making Vegas pay his contract the whole time? That's his option as well.

Teams looking for a new coach (or in the market) would snap him up the second he is available. The question is does he want a job right this second.

Reactions: cgf

OiledGun

Sep 2, 2011
I think when Claude Julien gets booted in Montreal this year Gallant gets hired on.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I think when Claude Julien gets booted in Montreal this year Gallant gets hired on.

But what do you expect our French media to do if he was hired? Translate what he says? Like they do with almost every player or coach they talk to? Sounds pretty farfetched.

Reactions: cgf

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Seattle is probably hoping he doesn't find a gig before the end of the season so that they won't have to entertain the possibility of having Mike Babcock behind the bench next season.
Seattle doesn't start next season yet.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd guess probably in the offseason. Early in the offseason...like, one of those things that gets announced the day after the Cup Finals end.

At this point in the season, teams that are really in the hunt probably aren't ditching their guy mid-stream and risking that adjustment period. Teams that are already solidly "in" are keeping their guys. Teams that are solidly "out", won't want to risk bringing in a coach that sparks something and worsening their draft slot...or wasting that "spark" on a lost year anyway.

I also think he's going to know that he'll have plenty of suitors come the offseason. He'll probably want a moment to decompress, reset, and come at a new roster with the same sort of vigor he hit Vegas with.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I guess this is the year good coaches get fired?

Laviolette and Gallant are two of the best coaches in hockey, yet somehow Deboer and Hynes replaced them?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
As soon as he wants to be. If he wants a job tomorrow in Detroit it's his. If he wants to take the month and maybe go to Jamaica? He can do that too. Maybe he wants to wait until the offseason and see what comes up, while making Vegas pay his contract the whole time? That's his option as well.

Teams looking for a new coach (or in the market) would snap him up the second he is available. The question is does he want a job right this second.

Claude Julien and the Habs a few years ago is a good example. Montreal had Therrien and Habs were having an ok season (not great) - in playoff spot. As soon as Julien got fired - within the same 1-2 days Habs fired Therrien/hired Julien.

Now I think Therrien was way past his time as coach - and as a Habs fan to this day i'm still not exactly thrilled with Julien - but the point is Julien was seen as a coach who would likely be very sought after - and a team who you wouldn't have expected to be on the cusp of firing their coach, did so asap to snap him up before another team got him.

So - I agree that he could probably get a job "when he wants", as he's a good coach. But i'm more curious looking at it from teams perspectives - which teams who aren't 100% confident that they will bring their coach back for next season - are willing to take a gamble right now before Gallant gets snapped up? I'd argue Gallant today is probably an even better candidate than Julien was when hired.

I know you're a Tampa fan. If Tampa hadn't literally just won 10 games in a row - they would be a prime example. In playoff spot, doing ~ok (not great) - but status quo, or take a gamble on a great coach before he's snapped up? I'm sure there are other teams like that who might be tempted.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Montreal would rather have a French speaking coach and go 0-82 over an English speaking coach who would lead them to a cup. They should change their coaching selection process and pick this man up. The one ice product/results >>> Answering media questions in French.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Montreal would rather have a French speaking coach and go 0-82 over an English speaking coach who would lead them to a cup. They should change their coaching selection process and pick this man up. The one ice product/results >>> Answering media questions in French.

How would New Yorkers feel if the head coach of the Yankees only spoke french and couldnt do interviews in English?

I dont think its fair to pretend its not an importent component.

That being said as a Habs fan - i think there simply are obvious ways around it. Either hire a full time translator to shadow the coach in interviews (would be a PR type role) - or have an assistant coach who does speak French who could help with some interviews.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
How would New Yorkers feel if the head coach of the Yankees only spoke french and couldnt do interviews in English?

I dont think its fair to pretend its not an importent component.

That being said as a Habs fan - i think there simply are obvious ways around it. Either hire a full time translator to shadow the coach in interviews (would be a PR type role) - or have an assistant coach who does speak French who could help with some interviews.

That's a terrible comparison. How many MLB players speak french ?
How many NHL players speak English ? Damn near 100% of them

Those are perfectly viable options to get around it.

The main job of the coach should be to coach the players the best he can and get his team the W. You'd be missing out on so many top coaches is the main requirement is they speak French opposed to how good of a coach they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad