Speculation: When do you think the Leafs go "ALL IN"

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The debate as to weather or not the Leafs are a cup contender has been going on all season, I have been on the side that they are and have felt that they see themselves as being close to that status as well, becausw if they didn't I don't think they would have signed Marleau, nor do I think they would have went after Thornton and Condon, to me those are things you try to do when you think you can win.

Others do not believe the Leafs are a true contender yet.

But even if you don't think the team is a cup contender yet, you have to admit that they are getting really really close.

The team has a trio of young stars up front all 21 or younger, Morgan Rielly at 23 is playing like a #1 D man, Freddie is a borderline elite goalie and the depth up front can compete with any team in this league and all while keeping a relatively strong prospect pool.

I think the question needs to be asked, at what point do you think the Leafs go all in?

I don't think it will be this year but come the summer time I think you might see them do it.

the team needs a d man and come the summer time the market filled with D men, guys like Ryan Mcdonagh if he doesn't move this year, OEL, Erik Karlsson, possibly Drew doughty if the kings miss the playoffs because he has been very open about his respect for Babacock and possibly wanting to test UFA, Johh Carlson, Mike Green, possibly Tyson Barrie, the market could be flooded with quality d men.

Up front you have guys like John Tavares, who Leaf fans will say they don't need, but lets be honest they will be in on him, because all teams will be in on him because if you can get John Tavares you do it if there is ANY chance of having a 1-2 center combo of Matthews and Tavares down the middle you explore it because not doing so would be stupid.

You also have Joe Thornton who Toronto went after last summer and I believe they will go after again to replace Bozak

You have Statsny who could be another Bozak replacement

and you have Backlund.

I do not believe Nylander will be a center next year, I do not know who it will be but I do think they will replace Bozak via trade or UFA.

At wing your only Key loss is JVR, Komarov you can replace with Kapenan, who actually might be an upgrade.

Anyway I am getting off topic the point is that while I don't think the Leafs go all in this year, I don't think we are far from the point where they do, I think it is possible we reach that point this coming summer.

What do you think when do you see Toronto doing what the Jays did in 2015 and going all in? that day is coming, we all know it and I think it is coming fast.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
it's has to be this year, all the signs point to it. We are making the playoffs, we have expired contracts we are likely going to let walk. Outside of Tampa the east is extremely weak.. If there is any year to go for it, it would be this year.

Idk what some fans are scared of, even if we go for it we still have our core intact that's all that really matters. Marner, Nylander, Matthews, Rielly, Dermott, Andersen, Kadri are all still gonna be here. I also think we will get Marner and Nylander on cap friendly contracts so I do not anticipate cap becoming a problem in the future (especially as it will continue to increase)

The leafs can go for it multiple times, people act like if they make an attempt to win this year then we will never win it in the future and that's a load of shit. They have the core personnel to make multiple cup runs. There will never be a RIGHT time to go for it.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
also to add, going for it doesn't mean trading for a big name superstar. It could simply mean adding a quality RHD this trade deadline which I would not be opposed to.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Seems silly without knowing who's on the Team and where they are in the standings.
I'll go the 2020/2021 season.

How is it silly, we know what the core is going forward, unless something awful happens like one of them dies, we know what the core looks like.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think we will try and improve our team at the deadline, but I don't think we will go all in this year.

To me, going all in would mean something like trading our next two first round picks for a rental player who becomes a UFA after the playoffs. I don't think we would do that this year.

Next year, I could see us doing something like that. Two firsts would be a lot, but you're hopefully only trading two 31st overall picks which isn't all that much if it gets you an elite player who can help you win the cup.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Next year, definitely. This year is actually possible as well. If they continue this run all the way to the deadline...I can't see how the Leafs don't take a shot.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How is it silly, we know what the core is going forward, unless something awful happens like one of them dies, we know what the core looks like.
So is the question "when do you think the core can contend?"

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
When the long-term value of the assets being expended are outweighed by the long-term value of the assets being acquired.

If management believes they can comfortably make that distinction right now, then go for it - I'm never going to be upset about getting better.

If management feels they are unable to comfortably make that distinction right now, then don't do it.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I know, the question was when do you think they will?

The team/roster changes not only on an annual basis, but on a monthly basis aswell. It's impossible to predict until Feb-June of a season.

Do they make trades for depth? Sure, why not.
Do they trade current impact players and prospects this season for quality NHL upgrades, not likely.
It's a great year. They're making the playoffs. But it's still a growth/development period for alot of players.

Stay the course. Keep playing good hockey.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
When we establish a larger sample size.
We are making the playoffs for 2 years in a row now.
3 years from scorched earth.
Let's start by winning 1 round in the playoffs before we are all in.

Reactions: weems

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A good portion of the all-in moves for the Jays was through trading. I don't know if we've built up our depth enough to be able to do that (depending on quality of player(s) we'd hope to add) and some really good players could be headed to free agency, but that's no sure thing to rely on at this point.

Tough to put a timeline on it all, but we are headed toward that path of expecting to win. I'd hope it's gradual and over a fairly long-term though and not boom or bust/one and done.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I think all you folks that are chomping at the bit for some kind of miracle, super blockbuster, league shaking trade are just setting yourselves for disappointment

the team is good, in fact it's really good most nights, let it cook and develop, just the way it's constructed right now may get them into the second round, and from there anything can happen

Reactions: Buddio

Oiffub

Matthews > McDavid don't @ me
Mar 16, 2010
ACC
You seem to be wrapped up in the fantasy idea of "going all in" halfway through a season with a salary capped involved in the modern game.

Why on earth do the Leafs need to "go all in" (whatever the hell that means) to compete for a stanley cup? What do you even consider going all in? Trading Bozak or JVR That doesn't fit my definition of going all in, so what are you really proposing the team do.

We haven't had a fair chance at the cup in decades, and at the very first signs of progress in a full rebuild people are throwing around silly blanket terms like "go all in" during a trade deadline. Am I missing something here ? Is is this just typical Leafs nation hysteria

Reactions: Northernguy10

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
The debate as to weather or not the Leafs are a cup contender has been going on all season, I have been on the side that they are and have felt that they see themselves as being close to that status as well, becausw if they didn't I don't think they would have signed Marleau, nor do I think they would have went after Thornton and Condon, to me those are things you try to do when you think you can win.

Others do not believe the Leafs are a true contender yet.

But even if you don't think the team is a cup contender yet, you have to admit that they are getting really really close.

The team has a trio of young stars up front all 21 or younger, Morgan Rielly at 23 is playing like a #1 D man, Freddie is a borderline elite goalie and the depth up front can compete with any team in this league and all while keeping a relatively strong prospect pool.

I think the question needs to be asked, at what point do you think the Leafs go all in?

I don't think it will be this year but come the summer time I think you might see them do it.

the team needs a d man and come the summer time the market filled with D men, guys like Ryan Mcdonagh if he doesn't move this year, OEL, Erik Karlsson, possibly Drew doughty if the kings miss the playoffs because he has been very open about his respect for Babacock and possibly wanting to test UFA, Johh Carlson, Mike Green, possibly Tyson Barrie, the market could be flooded with quality d men.

Up front you have guys like John Tavares, who Leaf fans will say they don't need, but lets be honest they will be in on him, because all teams will be in on him because if you can get John Tavares you do it if there is ANY chance of having a 1-2 center combo of Matthews and Tavares down the middle you explore it because not doing so would be stupid.

You also have Joe Thornton who Toronto went after last summer and I believe they will go after again to replace Bozak

You have Statsny who could be another Bozak replacement

and you have Backlund.

I do not believe Nylander will be a center next year, I do not know who it will be but I do think they will replace Bozak via trade or UFA.

At wing your only Key loss is JVR, Komarov you can replace with Kapenan, who actually might be an upgrade.

Anyway I am getting off topic the point is that while I don't think the Leafs go all in this year, I don't think we are far from the point where they do, I think it is possible we reach that point this coming summer.

What do you think when do you see Toronto doing what the Jays did in 2015 and going all in? that day is coming, we all know it and I think it is coming fast.
Maybe next season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You seem to be wrapped up in the fantasy idea of "going all in" halfway through a season with a salary capped involved in the modern game.

Why on earth do the Leafs need to "go all in" (whatever the hell that means) to compete for a stanley cup? What do you even consider going all in? Trading Bozak or JVR That doesn't fit my definition of going all in, so what are you really proposing the team do.

We haven't had a fair chance at the cup in decades, and at the very first signs of progress in a full rebuild people are throwing around silly blanket terms like "go all in" during a trade deadline. Am I missing something here ? Is is this just typical Leafs nation hysteria

are you really going to sit there and try to lie to me and tell me you don't know what going all in is?

stop it

Oiffub

Mar 16, 2010
ACC
are you really going to sit there and try to lie to me and tell me you don't know what going all in is?

stop it

Please, you are out here trying to pass off a TRADE DEADLINE acquisition of JOHN TAVARES as if it's a walk in the f***ing park and none of our "core" would need to be be moved.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think all you folks that are chomping at the bit for some kind of miracle, super blockbuster, league shaking trade are just setting yourselves for disappointment

the team is good, in fact it's really good most nights, let it cook and develop, just the way it's constructed right now may get them into the second round, and from there anything can happen

I'm not chomping at the bit for anything this season, I do think moves will be made because they are at 50 contracts so they don't really have a choice, but I don't think they go all in this season.

Next season is a different story I could see them doing it next season they will have 2 years of playoff experience and all the young kids will know what the league is all about, they will know what pieces need to be brought in to reach the next level and I think they will be brought in.

plus if thy use their 1st and 2 2nds in this draft then their prospect pool will get a huge boost and they will have more prospect capital to use.

Oiffub

Mar 16, 2010
ACC
All of your posts are so tunnel vision'd on the next 365 days instead of the next 3650 and it pains to read tbh.

It's quite frankly why the Leafs haven't been able to make legitimate cup runs. I'll enjoy a calculated and passive Leafs front office while we have it, as opposed to the needless trades and fire works that OP seems to be craving since Burke left.

Reactions: Northernguy10

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Please, you are out here trying to pass off a TRADE DEADLINE acquisition of JOHN TAVARES as if it's a walk in the ****ing park and none of our "core" would need to be be moved.

You didn't read the OP, I know you didn't because NO WHERE does it say trade for JT, it DOES say they will be in on him in free agency if he makes it because ALL teams will be in on him.

in fact it says that I DON'T think they go all in now but that I COULD see them doing it this summer given the fact they need a d man and the market looks like it could be flooded with quality D men.

Next time read the OP because you quite clearly didn't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad