When did the rebuild start?

What season represented the start of the Coyotes rebuild?

• 2012-13 season (51 points - strike shortened season)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2013-14 season (89 points)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 2014-15 season (56 points)

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • 2015-16 season (78 points)

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • 2016-17 season (70 points)

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • 2017-18 season (19 points through 33 games - new coach and system)

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
SO with the rebuild being a disaster so far what to do?

Do you keep playing the kids? DO you move out even more veterans? I doubt free agency is a good plan for the team as they will have a very hard time to attract desirable free agents.

Who are the keepers?

Keller, Chcychrun, Fischer, Dvorak...

We have had lots of discussion about OEL. Is Domi still untouchable?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I wouldn't put many on the untouchable list; it depends what we would get coming back. Perhaps Keller & Chychrun, but the rest could be had for the right price (not that we'd get that at this point). OEL and Domi are on my possible trade list, but either would have to get something REAL nice in return. I see OEL, Stepan, Richardson, Rieder, Duclair, and possibly Raanta being shopped at the trade deadline. I doubt they'd move Domi, Dvorak, Fischer, Keller, or Chychrun

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I should not have used the word untouchable but rather "core".

I am grasping at straws to figure out what I would do to fix this team. I loved the offseason deals and thought the team would be pretty good (not playoff calibre) this year. Wrong.

Good thing it is not my job because I wold panic trade all the time.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The problem with evaluating the team and roster is who is going to do that and when? If I am Chayka, my roster is fine. If I am Tocc, my roster isn't fine. It's hard for the same guys that created this mess to evaluate their way our of it. If I were Barroway, I would sit down with Chayka and get his opinion of what to do next. After that I would meet with Tocc and Chayka together and Tocc separately. I would then meet with vets individually, Richardson/Goose/OEL/Tjam/Demers/Raanta/Stepan.

I would try to figure out if we have the wrong mix of players, the wrong system, or the wrong coach. Internally, its hard to say what is going on inside the room from 30,000 feet. I would make sure I understood the problem before I would make any bigger roster moves.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The problem with evaluating the team and roster is who is going to do that and when? If I am Chayka, my roster is fine. If I am Tocc, my roster isn't fine. It's hard for the same guys that created this mess to evaluate their way our of it. If I were Barroway, I would sit down with Chayka and get his opinion of what to do next. After that I would meet with Tocc and Chayka together and Tocc separately. I would then meet with vets individually, Richardson/Goose/OEL/Tjam/Demers/Raanta/Stepan.

I would try to figure out if we have the wrong mix of players, the wrong system, or the wrong coach. Internally, its hard to say what is going on inside the room from 30,000 feet. I would make sure I understood the problem before I would make any bigger roster moves.

If Chayka thinks his roster is fine he should be fired on the spot. Maybe AB can call Doan and ask for his opinion.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’d still like for some sort of senior advisor to be hired to work with Chayka.

His experience is so little and the same with his supporting guys like Steve Sullivan.

An interesting pick could be Mike Gillis. Yes he sort of bungled the Luongo thing but he also put together a Cup caliber team in Vancouver. He also has ties to Chayka as the two worked together previously through Stathletes.

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
I don’t REALLY want to be the oilers in regards to trading away our youth too early. I think we need to be (overly) patient. Where would edmonton be right now had they kept eberle and hall? Who else am I missing?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

If Chayka thinks his roster is fine he should be fired on the spot. Maybe AB can call Doan and ask for his opinion.

I think what cobra may be referring to is that there are differences of what the roster should look like to compete. Let's think back to Hjalmarsson and Stepan being added - are those the types of players that would be the first for Tocchet to add if Tocchet were building his "perfect team"?

I think that the major problem was that we went down a rabbit hole in trying to find certain players to mesh with what we have. As an example, Hjalmarsson was brought in b/c Chayka asked OEL which D-man he would work well with, correct? So, we have our #1 D kind of running the ship for that moment. Then, we probably had discussions with the Rangers about Stepan for at least a year, possibly longer. That puts him on the radar of a Tippett-coached team, but by the time we had gone so deep in discussions, Tippett was being bought out/fired/whatever by Barroway.

It seems like a lot of things were done that seemed "right" in minds and on paper. Adding the "right" vets. Letting Doan go but adding the "right" type of leadership quotient. Adding the "right" coach for the youth to play up-tempo. Turns out that 3 rights don't make a gigantic right??

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think what cobra may be referring to is that there are differences of what the roster should look like to compete. Let's think back to Hjalmarsson and Stepan being added - are those the types of players that would be the first for Tocchet to add if Tocchet were building his "perfect team"?

I think that the major problem was that we went down a rabbit hole in trying to find certain players to mesh with what we have. As an example, Hjalmarsson was brought in b/c Chayka asked OEL which D-man he would work well with, correct? So, we have our #1 D kind of running the ship for that moment. Then, we probably had discussions with the Rangers about Stepan for at least a year, possibly longer. That puts him on the radar of a Tippett-coached team, but by the time we had gone so deep in discussions, Tippett was being bought out/fired/whatever by Barroway.

It seems like a lot of things were done that seemed "right" in minds and on paper. Adding the "right" vets. Letting Doan go but adding the "right" type of leadership quotient. Adding the "right" coach for the youth to play up-tempo. Turns out that 3 rights don't make a gigantic right??

I agree. There is so much blame to go around, but now let's see what kind or organization we have to fix this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad