When did the rebuild start?

What season represented the start of the Coyotes rebuild?

• 2012-13 season (51 points - strike shortened season)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2013-14 season (89 points)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 2014-15 season (56 points)

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • 2015-16 season (78 points)

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • 2016-17 season (70 points)

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • 2017-18 season (19 points through 33 games - new coach and system)

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We have heard this bandied about here, so let's get people's thoughts on it.

Vote for the year that the rebuild officially started (in your eyes) and then please state why you believe it started in that particular year. This is not just for Coyote fans, as outside observers of teams that have been a part of a rebuild may be able to chime in with similarities and differences on their roster and rebuild.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I voted 15-16 season, as I think there are several factors:

1. With the atrocity that was the 14-15 season, it was realized that we had to start developing the talent in house and not attempting to find diamonds in the rough through free agency, which is what we had success with in the early part of the decade. The pipeline was very bare and free agents tended to look the other direction (not sure if that was b/c we didn't reach out to them enough, or we weren't even a prime destination to begin with).

2. Started to get rid of core pieces. We had been buyers at the deadline for a good few seasons. Then we reverted back to selling and did so with Vermette and Yandle, two of our better pieces. This continued into the offseason and regular season (getting rid of Gagner and letting mainstays like Korpikoski, Michalek, and Boedker go at the deadline).

3. The roster for the season now iced one of our first 1st round picks to have a big impact since OEL (Domi), a RW that we got in the Yandle trade (Duclair), a 2nd round pick from 2012 (Martinook), a 2nd year player who played well for us the previous year (Rieder), and attempts to develop the roster with young players like Stefan Elliott, Klas Dahlbeck, and Kevin Connauton. All of those players that I just mentioned were under the age of 23 in that season, so 7 players getting some significant time usually doesn't happen unless there is a purpose behind it (that being the start of the rebuild and getting our prospect pool back to some respectability).

Obviously, this continued last year with further additions of youth and trades meant to continue restocking the prospect depth that we had so desperately been without over the years. We can even say it continued further with some of the overhaul this year on the coaching and system end.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Rebuilds start when you start dumping assets, 14-15. More specifically the Vermette/Yandle trades though one could argue it was the Dubnyk trade.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
^^^

Fair enough, although I would argue that trading players 60 games in is likely meaning that you are setting up the rebuild for the next season, but semantics, I suppose. After all, most selling of assets at the deadline is to get draft picks which aren't even a part of your roster yet. If we had traded Yandle, Dubnyk, and Vermette for NHL level players at that moment (Moore and Duclair were the only players whom I would consider NHL level assets at that moment, and even then, pretty unpolished) then I think there is a little more to what you are saying. Whereas we received two prospects and 4 draft picks in addition to Moore and Duclair, but had to wait through 3/4 of a season to get those assets, it becomes a little harder to define. I think at that moment (so roughly two and one quarter seasons ago, we could officially call it the rebuild), but we still had a number of offseason deals between 14-15 and 15-16 that would signify a plan to start fresh in 15-16 season.

Again, just want to get an idea, b/c there is a major difference between going 60 games in a season before trading off assets. Or, as some posters like to assume - the years that we didn't make the playoffs are all justifiable as "rebuilding" years, even though I don't think that counts. I would even state that there were greater changes to both last year's and this year's roster than in 2014-15, but to each his own idea of the rebuild.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
@BUX7PHX
I don't think when the players/picks start hitting the ice matters much. It's about when the mindset of management clearly changes from competing to stockpiling youth.

Reactions: _Del_

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
14-15 Season.

We dumped everything to get assets and worked our best to get McEichel. Fell short for one of Stromarnefin

So that's where I am saying - think about the intention - while we dumped assets that season - the dumping of those assets was to pick up a player who would help us in the 15-16 season, at the earliest. Not saying that the 14-15 season wasn't the season, just that if these things had been done starting in Game 1, then yes, the entire season was built on a rebuild strategy. I think the first time that one can say that we took the strategy of a rebuild for the entire year was the next year, but again, semantics.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
17-18, although we did inherit a few pieces so we are slightly advanced. I don't like having a "set" time associated with a rebuild, and it's pretty difficult to pinpoint a specific starting point in my eyes. The coyotes have faced so many things over the years, that the concept of a "traditional" rebuild doesn't really apply to them.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Don’t recall which year off hand but I would suggest the rebuild began when they blew out what little scouting staff they had and expanded on it. Want to say that was 2014-15 but not sure??

Our drafts before that were pretty much disasters (OEL being an exception) but most of the young talent we have came after they expanded on scouting.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Calendar year 2015. Pretty much started when Maloney said it did. Why on earth we thought we could compete with the roster we had going into 2014-15 I don't know, but when it inevitably didn't work out we pulled the plug and admitted it was time to start over.

Voted 2015-16 in the poll but 2014-15 is just as fine of an answer. Just semantics at that point.

Reactions: _Del_

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Which rebuild?

The Hanzal, Wheeler, Mueller, Turris, Boedker rebuild or the Domi, Duclair, Strome, Perlini, Keller rebuild?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
There was a "reboot" in 2014-2015 - it was going to be a full rebuild but the powers-that-were overruled it (it's not clear whether the Barroway-led faction wanted the total rebuild and Tippett/Drummond wanted to compete, or vice versa). The honest-to-god total rebuild started as soon as Barroway and Tippett agreed on the termination of DT's contract.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
There was a "reboot" in 2014-2015 - it was going to be a full rebuild but the powers-that-were overruled it (it's not clear whether the Barroway-led faction wanted the total rebuild and Tippett/Drummond wanted to compete, or vice versa). The honest-to-god total rebuild started as soon as Barroway and Tippett agreed on the termination of DT's contract.

Eh, I dunno. That's right to a point (more so rhetorically in terms of what came out of the FO) but if you dig into the actual moves there aren't a lot of get back to being competitive fast ones being made in that time.

What are the moves between the Yandle trade and the firing that aren't obviously compatible with a full on rebuild? Not dumping Smith sooner and Goligoski is about it. And trading Smith before last season's rebound would have been tough.

Remember they still traded Hanzal, Stone, Boedker, bought out Vermette, played quite a bit of youth in 15/16/17, continued to use capspace to acquire young assets in Crouse and Chychrun.

I think you're right that Drummond and Co won that battle but it was on paper. In real terms they didn't do much to put their fast track rebuild into action.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I just don't know how much youth we played in the 14-15 season that classifies it as a rebuild. If we had brought up Domi that year and played Duclair from the time the Yandle trade happened, then that may sell a different story. Gagner, Erat, and Crombeen don't exactly sell the thought of a rebuild, but what we had done for many years - find value in the "unwanted" players and see if we can get the most out of them. Unfortunately, we didn't get the most out of anyone and that was when the reset button was officially hit at the '15 deadline.

The bottom line is that at least one person on here suggested that last year was the fourth year of the rebuild. So far no one has voted on the rebuild officially starting until roughly 2 or 2.5 seasons ago with the moving of parts at the 2015 deadline. So, whenever someone is comparing say, this year vs. last, they are comparing two true rebuilding years. Whenever someone is comparing this year to 2013-14 season, it is not a fair comparison b/c one team is going through the 3rd year of the rebuild, and the 13-14 season didn't even necessarily represent a rebuild. It just sets up context for who is comparing what. It just makes it easier to tell which people are lacking substance to their claims when comparing years. It just seems like too many people on here create their own agenda and just say what they feel to prop up their case, when the truth is that they are trying to use fictitious information to advance a plotline.

Take last year's team and the statement that was heard often:

Dave Tippett has lost the room. Is that true in any way? Is that false in any way? I think players may have had some frustration, but I don't think that he lost the room, b/c with the lack of experience, a team that basically turned their back on their coach should be doing much better this year.

Once we apply context to the rebuild and its start, we can see who is just trying to create something in their head and who actually is evaluating things at face value. Could also be that someone is just stating the fourth (first) year of a rebuild to get a rise out of people, even though in heart and mind, that poster knows that the end of 2015 and beginning of 15-16 season is more in line with the actual time of the rebuild...

Also Chayka was first hired for the 2015-16 season, and I think that a heavy emphasis was putting his thought process and knowledge out there to put a stamp on who and how to evaluate players. That's another piece to the puzzle, too. If he had been around in 13-14, maybe that changes things. Bernhardt was also promoted to scouting director in summer of 2014, so that could also be a sign of the first thought that the team was re-focusing its efforts, although I don't know if it truly meant something until the trade deadline that year.

Years of lean scouting impacting Coyotes on ice

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
The morning of the 2014 draft.

That was when we re-branded as Arizona and, more crucially, Maloney agreed to pay Mike ****ing Ribeiro a bunch of money to go away. The firesale was still months away, but that was the moment success became basically impossible for the 2014/2015 season. The team hasn't "spent" any significant hockey currency (i.e.: futures) for the present ever since.

Summer 2014 subtractions: Ribeiro, Morris, Halpern, Klesla and Greiss (left as a free agent)
Summer 2014 additions: Rieder, Gagner, Crombeen, Gormley and Dubnyk (signed, salvaged and sold)

Things changed summer 2014.

Reactions: Yandover

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I voted 15-16 season, as I think there are several factors:

1. With the atrocity that was the 14-15 season, it was realized that we had to start developing the talent in house and not attempting to find diamonds in the rough through free agency, which is what we had success with in the early part of the decade. The pipeline was very bare and free agents tended to look the other direction (not sure if that was b/c we didn't reach out to them enough, or we weren't even a prime destination to begin with).

2. Started to get rid of core pieces. We had been buyers at the deadline for a good few seasons. Then we reverted back to selling and did so with Vermette and Yandle, two of our better pieces. This continued into the offseason and regular season (getting rid of Gagner and letting mainstays like Korpikoski, Michalek, and Boedker go at the deadline).

3. The roster for the season now iced one of our first 1st round picks to have a big impact since OEL (Domi), a RW that we got in the Yandle trade (Duclair), a 2nd round pick from 2012 (Martinook), a 2nd year player who played well for us the previous year (Rieder), and attempts to develop the roster with young players like Stefan Elliott, Klas Dahlbeck, and Kevin Connauton. All of those players that I just mentioned were under the age of 23 in that season, so 7 players getting some significant time usually doesn't happen unless there is a purpose behind it (that being the start of the rebuild and getting our prospect pool back to some respectability).

Obviously, this continued last year with further additions of youth and trades meant to continue restocking the prospect depth that we had so desperately been without over the years. We can even say it continued further with some of the overhaul this year on the coaching and system end.

You are correct. That is when it started.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yandle trade.

That is when we started to sell assets to get new assets for the rebuild. You could say it started with that trade and would not get any argument from me, but first year of the rebuild was the start of the next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad