When all are retired the 6 best careers will be ...

When all are retired the 6 best careers will be ...

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
When all are retired the 6 best careers will be ... Edit: Bedard has almost 25%! :oops:

Not that surprising on Bedard tbh. Half the people have him as a generational prospect on the level of a Crosby/McDavid, half a bit less. If he ends up on their level (or close) - it means he'd be in contention to reach that high.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Obvious names for me are:

Gretzky, Lemieux, Beliveau, Morenz and McDavid. That's your definite top 5 in some order.

Matthews, MacKinnon and Thompson definitely don't make the cut. Draisaitl is peaking high enough that I suppose its not completely out of the realm of possibilities he could surpass a Mikita/Messier level player if he keeps his level long enough. Still - super unlikely on Drai, so not voting him.

Mikita and Messier are close to me - but ill actually go Bedard #6. Super early/super optimistic prediction - but Ill say he surpasses both Messier/Mikita for career

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Not won anything so far, not very much individual hardware either and McDavid factor yes.

He is certainly close in capability but we are talking about likely career outcomes here, I am not very convinced he will win any more scoring title, rocket(most possible I suppose but it's lower ranked than Hart/Art Ross for me anyway) or cup.
RIP, you took the bait.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Went with Keith Gretzky, Brendan Lemieux, Isaac Beliveau, Mikita and that Mcdavid fella

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The first 4 are pretty clear: Gretz, Mario, JB and McDavid. The 5th and 6th are very, very fuzzy.
Morenz is a pretty solid 5th but part of that is the mythical status around his untimely death.

For 6th I took Bedard on potential and some of the other have missed too much time and TT is unlikely to be a top 100 player never mind a top 6 one.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Or the fact that Jagr wasn’t a center.

Let the new fans have fun on here…

I had no clue that was the criteria until pointed out. OP didn't mention it.

That makes a heck of a lot more sense as to why there are certain players "missing".

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Tage Thompson?? Lmfao

In all seriousness though, the first 4 are pretty obvious: Gretzky, Lemieux, McDavid, Beliveau. But the final 2 slots are very difficult for me.

You obviously have the 3 M's: Mikita, Messier, and Morenz. While I think as a player, Messier may be 3rd out of them, his career to me seems to have been the best. He doesn't have the art rosses but he has 2 harts just like the other 2, 2 conn smythes, and 6 cups. I'd say he had the most successful career. I'd also say Mikita had a better career than Morenz simply because he played longer and racked up more awards/honors. Honestly, Idk how to contextualize Morenz's career so I can't say for sure but I likely take Messier and Mikita here if I don't think about it too hard.

Then there's Bedard. Obviously, he's still a question mark since he hasn't played a game, but as far as his prospect career's concerned, projecting him to be in the Crosby/McDavid tier is a fair assessment. If he ends up close to that, I think he'll finish as high as 4 on this list. My gut tells me he'll pan out, but I'd feel kinda crazy slotting him in there right now.

So I guess for now it's: Gretzky, Lemiuex, McDavid, Beliveau, Messier, Mikita. With Morenz as an HM and Bedard as a dark horse.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Tage Thompson?? Lmfao

In all seriousness though, the first 4 are pretty obvious: Gretzky, Lemieux, McDavid, Beliveau. But the final 2 slots are very difficult for me.

You obviously have the 3 M's: Mikita, Messier, and Morenz. While I think as a player, Messier may be 3rd out of them, his career to me seems to have been the best. He doesn't have the art rosses but he has 2 harts just like the other 2, 2 conn smythes, and 6 cups. I'd say he had the most successful career. I'd also say Mikita had a better career than Morenz simply because he played longer and racked up more awards/honors. Honestly, Idk how to contextualize Morenz's career so I can't say for sure but I likely take Messier and Mikita here if I don't think about it too hard.

Then there's Bedard. Obviously, he's still a question mark since he hasn't played a game, but as far as his prospect career's concerned, projecting him to be in the Crosby/McDavid tier is a fair assessment. If he ends up close to that, I think he'll finish as high as 4 on this list. My gut tells me he'll pan out, but I'd feel kinda crazy slotting him in there right now.

So I guess for now it's: Gretzky, Lemiuex, McDavid, Beliveau, Messier, Mikita. With Morenz as an HM and Bedard as a dark horse.
I think Messier's playoff record is absolutely outstanding - so I'm not exactly criticizing his performances or record - but just to correct you he doesn't have 2 Conn Smythes, he has only 1. And his 1 smythe - he also probably didn't deserve it, as Gretzky was better/should have won.

Reactions: blundluntman

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I think Messier's playoff record is absolutely outstanding - so I'm not exactly criticizing his performances or record - but just to correct you he doesn't have 2 Conn Smythes, he has only 1. And his 1 smythe - he also probably didn't deserve it, as Gretzky was better/should have won.
Oh yeah that’s right, Leetch won it in 94. Good catch. Yeah I agree Gretzky should’ve won it, probably should’ve won the hart over him in 1990 as well. Either way, he had some great seasons and playoff campaigns with the hardware to show for it

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Beliveau but no Orr or Howe? Wut? Is this supposed to be centers only?

I picked Bedard just to jump on the hype train like it was 1991. CHOO-CHOO!

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Morenz should have more votes. Best player of the first half of the 20th century. Only Shore comes close.

Bedard is still unproven so I went with Messier there.

Yeah but a lot of the kids don't consider hockey to be hockey until 2010(?).. except when you talk about Lemieux or Hasek or Forsberg or Fedorov etc.. who for some reason get a pass.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
It's the main boards and Morenz has a weird career and his legacy doesn't always match the stats.
He had the all-time points and single-season points (?) records at the time of his death. The guy was totally dedicated to the Habs even though the fans booed him post-injuries.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Fun fact for the day...

After 638 regular season games played:
Draisaitl: 306 goals and 744 points
Messier: 300 goals and 736 points

Reactions: Hippasus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad