What's Your Dream Car?

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
upload_2021-5-23_12-40-10.jpeg

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I feel the same until I load up the clutch too much and it goes "BRAWWWWR" or get a shitty 1st to 2nd. Then I wish I had an automatic

When I was first learning to drive a manual I had a nasty habit of riding the clutch far too long because I was so paranoid of stalling. I haven't driven a manual in months but I kind of miss it now.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Really, you can't hurt the clutch too much if you're riding it high up, above the middle of the bite range. It smooths things out for your passengers, and like you said, keeps you from accidentally stalling. It's really better to err on that side of things than always doing sudden lift offs. Generally speaking the smoother the car moves the less wear on the clutch you're getting. Eventually it will need replacement no matter what you do - it is a wear item after all - but you can get it to last a lot longer with slow, deliberate takeups.

I drove nothing but manuals for 11-12 years and then didn't have one for 15 years after that until just recently. So I've been un-learning some old, bad habits and picking up new ones. God, I wish they Youtube when I was learning back in the 90s.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Really, you can't hurt the clutch too much if you're riding it high up, above the middle of the bite range. It smooths things out for your passengers, and like you said, keeps you from accidentally stalling. It's really better to err on that side of things than always doing sudden lift offs. Generally speaking the smoother the car moves the less wear on the clutch you're getting. Eventually it will need replacement no matter what you do - it is a wear item after all - but you can get it to last a lot longer with slow, deliberate takeups.

I drove nothing but manuals for 11-12 years and then didn't have one for 15 years after that until just recently. So I've been un-learning some old, bad habits and picking up new ones. God, I wish they Youtube when I was learning back in the 90s.

I've been trying to teach myself double-clutching when I downshift lately. In my car the gas pedal's set a few inches further back than the brake, so I can't do the heel/toe thing as I don't have a separate joint in the middle of my foot.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I've been trying to teach myself double-clutching when I downshift lately. In my car the gas pedal's set a few inches further back than the brake, so I can't do the heel/toe thing as I don't have a separate joint in the middle of my foot.

May I ask why? Unless your synchro's are broken (I admit, I know one person that had to double-clutch in his car for this reason) you shouldn't need to double-clutch unless you're driving a tractor trailer or something.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The only situation when I double clutch is for rev matching downshifts in heavy traffic. Those are instances where I typically want to get off the clutch sooner. I was driving through Atlanta yesterday and found myself doing it a lot just to keep things smooth.

But even in that situation I don't think it's all that necessary; you could get by just fine with a slow clutch takeup and a little bitty throttle blip, which is what I usually do anyway. If my car had automatic rev matching I'd probably never double clutch again.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
May I ask why? Unless your synchro's are broken (I admit, I know one person that had to double-clutch in his car for this reason) you shouldn't need to double-clutch unless you're driving a tractor trailer or something.

Basically just trying to get used to rev-matching when I downshift. Just transferred to a new branch at work and now my daily commute features some highway driving.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Basically just trying to get used to rev-matching when I downshift. Just transferred to a new branch at work and now my daily commute features some highway driving.

I'm by no means a manual expert but I don't recall needing to double-clutch when downshifting. That said, maybe I should practice this myself the next time I drive a manual car just in case I ever have a problem with a synchro...

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I'm by no means a manual expert but I don't recall needing to double-clutch when downshifting. That said, maybe I should practice this myself the next time I drive a manual car just in case I ever have a problem with a synchro...

I mean, it's not really out of any particular need to do it; I've been driving manuals for almost thirty years now and I have yet to fry a clutch. It's more for my own edification than anything else.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I mean, it's not really out of any particular need to do it; I've been driving manuals for almost thirty years now and I have yet to fry a clutch. It's more for my own edification than anything else.

I haven't driven a manual in months and have a total of 1 year experience at best, and I'm still scared of steep hills. :laugh:

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Ooo...stop/start city traffic going up a steep hill in rush hour. I'll happily drive a half-hour out of my way to avoid that.

You live in BC, you have hills all over the f***ing place. :laugh:

One time when I was still learning, a semi truck stopped dead in his tracks in front of me on a hill. I was at first freaked out, then I realized if this guy can get up a hill with a heavy-ass vehicle with a crashbox transmission, I can do this with a 4-door and synchros.

The key for me was to not panic when I started rolling back. Getting started turned out to be a little easier than I thought it would, what was more stressful was the realization that I'd have to build up a ton of speed in 1st in order to get to 2nd and not stall in the process. I made the shift at about 5000 rpm and it was my worst 1st-2nd shift of all time. But I made it. :laugh:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
You live in BC, you have hills all over the f***ing place. :laugh:

One time when I was still learning, a semi truck stopped dead in his tracks in front of me on a hill. I was at first freaked out, then I realized if this guy can get up a hill with a heavy-ass vehicle with a crashbox transmission, I can do this with a 4-door and synchros.

The key for me was to not panic when I started rolling back. Getting started turned out to be a little easier than I thought it would, what was more stressful was the realization that I'd have to build up a ton of speed in 1st in order to get to 2nd and not stall in the process. I made the shift at about 5000 rpm and it was my worst 1st-2nd shift of all time. But I made it. :laugh:

Worse comes to worst you can always just yank up the handbrake, put it in first, then start engaging the engine while holding the brake up and letting it go after you've let the clutch go.

But yeah, hills. f***ing Clark Drive...Gilley in South Burnaby...Willingdon...brutal.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I haven't driven a manual in months and have a total of 1 year experience at best, and I'm still scared of steep hills. :laugh:
One month after getting my first manual over 20yrs ago, I got a crash course in steep hill stopping/ starting in Niagara Falls Canada.

There I am at a stoplight, VERY steep hill... and the person behind me pulls right up to within a few inches of my bumper.... needles to say, that made me nervous as hell for the light change...

I got real good at it real quick... :laugh:

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
One car I want to mention in here is the Ferrari F50. One of the greatest sounding road cars ever made.

There is a primal, emotional, raunchy sex appeal with this car that I don't think any electric car will ever match regardless of how much faster they can be. They'll never feel like an F50 and they will definitely never sound like an F50.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So hard to narrow it down to just 1. '70 GTO, '70 Chevelle, '79 Trans Am and in terms of new cars, the Dodge Demon.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My dream car....was almost bought. I love the Lancia Stratos and almost bought it...until I tried it and was completely impractical.

Right now, being older and gentler on my butt, I would love to buy the Mercedes diesel-electric plug in hybrid that is available in Europe. Economy, longevity, safety and luxury. And this from a guy who bought a BMW race car, put back the interior and ran it on the road...

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

If you love the Super-Birds...you will love what I drove in Georgia.

All white Fairlane stocker with a 427. I assume you know what that means. It belonged to my godfather son and when he tossed me the keys, I had no idea what was in the garage. As soon as I started it, I melted. Nothing in the world sounds as mean and as f*** you as a 427 gurgling. My poor little BMW 2002 race car just curled up in the corner.

What amazed my godfather is that a Canuck can drive these he-man beasts. He saw my car was a key decoration. :laugh:

Anywho.....I staid there for a month and drove that beast as gently as i could given that it was a gorilla in a China shop. No one mistook it for a poser or was surprised by it. We even went to a few stock car races and frankly, what exactly is the driving talent of going around a circle?

Oh the car glory of my youth...then I got married.....and bought a diesel Rabbit. :cry:

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I’d love to save money and just go ham on some Japanese auto auctions/importers.

Get a rig like a Pajero/Land Cruiser/Patrol.
Then get a rally car like a Mitsu Evo or Subaru STi or even a Celica GT4.
As much as I’d love a GTR or Mazda RX7, they’re too expensive. And I’ve never been a fan of coupes or anything that’s not AWD (I know).

The rig and rally car you can probably get decent ones for 10K each (except the land cruiser). Better start saving!

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
If you love the Super-Birds...you will love what I drove in Georgia.

All white Fairlane stocker with a 427. I assume you know what that means. It belonged to my godfather son and when he tossed me the keys, I had no idea what was in the garage. As soon as I started it, I melted. Nothing in the world sounds as mean and as f*** you as a 427 gurgling. My poor little BMW 2002 race car just curled up in the corner.

What amazed my godfather is that a Canuck can drive these he-man beasts. He saw my car was a key decoration. :laugh:

Anywho.....I staid there for a month and drove that beast as gently as i could given that it was a gorilla in a China shop. No one mistook it for a poser or was surprised by it. We even went to a few stock car races and frankly, what exactly is the driving talent of going around a circle?

Oh the car glory of my youth...then I got married.....and bought a diesel Rabbit. :cry:

Head to the Rusty Wallace Racing Experience and you'll find out. Oval racing is not as easy as it looks. Entering into that corner, not coming off the pedal too quick or too hard and getting back on that pedal to slingshot out is not for the feint of heart. Importantly, it is how you build speed over laps, so the timing is different until you hit max velocity. They put tape on the wall and many fart before getting there, meaning they lift their foot off the gas and it back fires. If you go, do the buddy ride first. I was talking up my background and telling him I was heading into the class afterwards. The ride of my life. Two cars, my buddy in the next one. Drafting, side by side, passing, BAD ASS! They actually touched, unintentionally. Do that at 180 MPH. Side by side, seemingly 6 inches apart but certainly not more than 2 feet. You slingshot off that turn and pass, a roller coaster will seem like its a small world ride.... NOW, go it alone. These pros are semi-pro. You won't get close to their speeds. We all think we don't.

After that, do the short track. I absolutely love short track racing. Irwindale, CA has a great track. I've done that school 4 times. 3 for 4 in the racing. So much passing, so much on and off so much fun!

The ovals take skill and guts. The pros just make it look easy.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Head to the Rusty Wallace Racing Experience and you'll find out. Oval racing is not as easy as it looks. Entering into that corner, not coming off the pedal too quick or too hard and getting back on that pedal to slingshot out is not for the feint of heart. Importantly, it is how you build speed over laps, so the timing is different until you hit max velocity. They put tape on the wall and many fart before getting there, meaning they lift their foot off the gas and it back fires. If you go, do the buddy ride first. I was talking up my background and telling him I was heading into the class afterwards. The ride of my life. Two cars, my buddy in the next one. Drafting, side by side, passing, BAD ASS! They actually touched, unintentionally. Do that at 180 MPH. Side by side, seemingly 6 inches apart but certainly not more than 2 feet. You slingshot off that turn and pass, a roller coaster will seem like its a small world ride.... NOW, go it alone. These pros are semi-pro. You won't get close to their speeds. We all think we don't.

After that, do the short track. I absolutely love short track racing. Irwindale, CA has a great track. I've done that school 4 times. 3 for 4 in the racing. So much passing, so much on and off so much fun!

The ovals take skill and guts. The pros just make it look easy.
I first ice raced in Quebec at 16 and co-pilot in rallies in Greece in my 20s. Twice. Rock face on one side and 200-400 meter drop in the other the entire race. So thanks for the explanation about how dangerous oval racing....in a full cage. The only reason I didn't get into SCCA racing was that I was either broke or....married.

I had and need to find pictures of my track days and my little blue bomber 2002.

Any "skill" required for oval track sounds 90% balls and 10% skill. Try that ratio in a racing track and you are a track decoration. Try that ratio in a rally and you die...or become a tree decoration.

In both of the above, one needs 100% skill and then the guts to apply it.

To ME....and MY opinion, nothing more, oval track racing is not a big deal skill wise compared to road racing. But I never took a track car for a run so I haven't got a clue on what it's like to hold one at the edge of traction. I suspect that I will have ball shrinkage at the higher ends of those speeds. I did not drive for even a minute in the Greek rallies because, frankly, the "boys" weren't up to it even if my skill level may or may NOT have been good enough.

BTW...this was in the late 70s and early 80s. Haven’t got a clue what the racing world was after that because career and wife took over. :cry:

EDIT...found one and will be looking for more later. Will scan and post them later.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The love of my young life and the car I will never forget....45 years ago.....

This was a BMW 2002, I think the chassis was '69 or '70. It started life as a civilian car then was bought by a fairly well off guy who had dreams of becoming a big time racing driver. He took the interior out, installed a roll cage, dropped the car down, blueprinted the engine and installed twin Weber 40 DCOE carburetors. Flairs, fiberglass extensions, springs, shocks, fiberglass one piece seats, drilled through the dash to add instruments, removed everything that could be removed and still stay legal within the SCCA formula rules. The image of the white one is what it looked like at the time but unlike now where everyone has a high quality picture one click away, back then pictures needed expensive cameras...and you don't take those to the race track.

He wasn't winning much and he decided that it was the cars fault so he bought ANOTHER one to start over again.

I was at the race with a friend and he knew the guy so when he was frustrated at his "lousy car", well, how could I possibly resist? I offered to buy it, he wanted $5,000 which was more then I had in the bank so after a haggle and a day, I went back the next day and bought it for $3,500. I wasn't licensed to race but I did get away with taking it on the track and running 5-6 laps.....this is where I like to lie and say It was a new lap record but sadly, my times would come in dead last. My excuse is that it was MY car and crashing it would mean goodbye to the only money I had so I hardly pushed it. Dead last time wasn't bad considering the relatively light foot. Next few days I went to his shop to collect a HUGE box of parts he took off AND had to find a dash and other parts (scrap yard) to put it back on the street. The shop was kind enough to let me keep and work on the car there and I put in an extra few days on his "new" car as a mechanic to pay that off.

The car was an absolute blast. It dynoed at 120 hp which is a bit of a joke NOW but back then, for a 2050 pound car, it was a LOT. I run it for 2 years and through Montreal winters. It was immense "fun" to try to tune Weber at minus 10 degrees on the street. Right up there with enjoying frostbite and a shaking like a leaf in a windstorm. But oh my God, when it was in perfect tune and in it's happy zone, ABSOLUTE BEAST. It had this desire to lift a bit and settle in into a beautiful whine at around 80 mph (130kph). On long trips it was against it's DNA to let anything past it. The only thing that was EVER faster on the road was a Mercedes SLC. The guy chased me for an hour at over 100 ON THE ROAD, passed and eventually disappeared. Why I had a license and not in jail back then was thanks to two radar detectors (I still have them).

Two years went by and while a lot of fun, i was struggling financially because I had to cut back on my truck driving to put more work at school. So the car had to go. Put an add in the Montreal Star (yes, there was a MONTREAL Star). I get a guy who is really interested and wants to test drive the car. That wasn't going to happen so I took him out for a drive. It was a spring morning and as I was approaching a slight bend under a bridge, there was two cars driven by people who never heard that in spring weather, melting ice forms into puddles and turns underpasses into skating rings in the morning. They both were decorating concrete columns. As I'm approaching, this idiot from the professional idiot driving class stands NEXT to his crashed car, in the middle of the road to slow us down. As if I could stop on a dime in totally iced road. I go bye him with a slight drift, figuring at worse that I would tail hit him, miss him completely no thanks "aha" moment where he figured that he should jump. Thanks to those years of ice racing, driving instinct/reflexes completely taking over to save the day. I go bye and continue demo'ing the car. I look over and my buyer is white as snow and trembling. "I thought you were going to kill him" he mustered. "Nah, it's the car" said my lying face. On Monday morning he bought the car for $3,500. Full asking price. Don't know what happened to it because he was in LaSalle. I suspect that it may have decorated something concrete because people think that ex-race cars have magical abilities.

That's the story and the glory of what my then starting girlfriend and future wife called "my real lover". Of course you can't fail to notice my chic magnate fashionista taste. latest and sexiest polyester bell bottom pants and shirt. I was a real ladies man....NOT.

Decades later, money no longer an issue, i kept playing with the idea of buying one and converting it, but then, my taste went at another level and I wanted to buy a Lancia Stratos, the real deal in race cars. Until I got into it.....and wrapped my head around the impracticality of ever enjoying it on the road. So I bought one of those German cars that gets mentioned a lot every September 11.....

BMW 2002.jpg

Attachments

• 434192.jpg
    434192.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 3
  • lancia-stratos.jpg
    lancia-stratos.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad