Value of: What's the value of Edmonton's 1st pick in 2017?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Don't tell the last 8 years of Oilers that the margin of lotto team and playoff contender is thin...:laugh:

I think the Oilers first is worth a quality forward, 60 point guy. A JVR type. Or a 2/3 dman, like Larsson....

I know it's a popular move to crap on JVR outside Toronto, but I'd trade our 1st in 2017 for him. Would be a good affordable addition on Draisaitl wing.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Biggest problem with trading next yr pick is that its not even a player for another yr and then who knows how long before that player plays. Its basically like admitting your team is taking before the season starts if your doing that.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Something called a cap .

We have the space and JVR's cap hit is low for the next 2 years. We saved roughly $2 mil per on the Hall deal and JVR would be the replacement.

Expand the deal

JVR + Toronto 2nd 2018 for Edmonton 1st 2017 + Yakupov

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We have the space and JVR's cap hit is low for the next 2 years. We saved roughly $2 mil per on the Hall deal and JVR would be the replacement.

Expand the deal

It really doesn't meet Edmonton's needs.
Only way I see us packing assets including our 1st rounder is if a right handed PMD is coming to Edmonton.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I don't understand why anyone would offer sheet Lindholm. It's a guaranteed match. A complete waste of time.

Dunno about that. It's a likely match, and I think if Lindholm was playing for another team, you'd be right. Anaheim is one of the most budget-conscious teams in the league. On top of that, they've got a lot of nice pieces on D: Fowler, Vatanen, Theodore, Larsson Manson, Depres, Stoner. Even without Lindholm, they have a really solid defence corps. Easily top 10 in the league.

Those things considered, I think there probably is a price point where the Ducks decide they're ahead by retaining financial flexibilty and acquiring picks.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Expand the deal

We have to sign Draisaitl next year trading a 1st for another winger is assinine. We need a puck moving dmen not a winger. :laugh::laugh: If Oilers trade for another top 6 forward I think I would puke

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'd trade the Flames first for the Oilers first.

Would be the ultimate bet between GM's going into the season betting that their team is better. Would be fun to watch.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Biggest problem with trading next yr pick is that its not even a player for another yr and then who knows how long before that player plays. Its basically like admitting your team is taking before the season starts if your doing that.

Not really.. maybe a team needs to shed some cap space to sign a core player... getting a 1st for a player you move to free up cap room is a double win.. .

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Playoffs are a foolish aspiration at this point. Oilers still have ZERO top pairing defenders (#1 or #2s), and if you glance at the western conference the past few years every single team that has made the playoffs has had 1 or multiple. Larsson for Hall was addition by major subtraction.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012

Expand the deal

In what universe does this make sense. A forward is the last position Edmonton needs to address. Especially a left handed PWF when they literally just signed Lucic to a lucrative long-term deal.

Just no thought put in here..

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
depends how much your team likes Nolan Patrick i guess

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
EDM 1st + Fayne for Shattenkirk

One year of Shattenkirk would be worth it for EDM..
Would the Blues do this? or are they hoping to land a better return from a team with whom he would actually extend with?

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Even 1st round picks rarely have much value before the season begins. That might be a little different for the Oilers, but I suspect most GMs would be worried about the Oilers making a big jump this season.

2017 1st has value in the Barrie/Trouba range, but those GMs would be insane to make that deal.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not very high at all.

Every GM in the league will know if the Oilers use that 1st round pick for another Top 4 Dman, they go from a lottery team to a borderline playoff team.

If EDM keeps the first, it's probably in the 4-8 range and so pretty solid value. But if they trade if for a Dman(Fowler for example) then they all of a sudden have a real solid Top 4D that includes Larsson, Sekera, Fowler, and Klefbom. Along with that offense, the pick would easily be in the 12-16 range and possibly even further back considering how weak the pacific already is.

Its a pick that easily hold a lot more value to EDM right now. And I can envision Chia trying to pawn that pick off to another team for a legit Top 4Dman, and all the other GMs are just laughing at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad