Value of: What's the value of Edmonton's 1st pick in 2017?

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
Since everyone here seams to think our fate is sealed and we are a lotto team next year, what is the value of our first pick next year?

Who cares, I think the team will make the play-offs. The NHL is so competitive now that the difference between lotto team and contender is a thin margin. To difficult to tell at this point, not quite sure the point of this thread other than to stir up controversy?

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
With the addition of a second pairing d-man, I think they are at least a bubble team competing for a wildcard spot. So, to answer the question, going into the season the pick is currently worth less than their first rounders over the last five or six years. And picks generally don't have that much value in the offseason.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I'd say the pick is more or less untradeable right now. Edmonton is a huge wildcard next year IMO. They won't want to trade the pick for a depth player or two because it could turn out to be a very high pick. Another team won't want to trade somebody good for it because it could end u[ being 20 or lower. Furthermore, let's say a team considers trading a good defenseman for the pick. They will have to consider the scenario that adding another good defensemen goes a long way for the Oilers in making them a playoff team, thus greatly devaluing the pick. I don't think it makes much sense to talk about moving this pick right now.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Doesn't seem like a great draft so unless they win a lottery spot the value is nowhere near what it was in the past.
Have to see how the balls fall.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
If I am Edmonton management I am not expecting to draft lower then 20th overall. If a team wanted to try to "steal" a high pick and gave great value to add to the roster, I eould trade the pick.

underdog

Jul 30, 2003
British Columbia
Visit site
The defence looks better with Larssn, but they don't have much depth on D and a key injury could derail the season so I think trading the pick for more depth is probably a wise move if they plan on doing anything next year.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Teams that trade their 1st before the season starts ALWAYS put conditions on it, especially with the new lottery.

Oilers might trade it but have it top 10 protected. This is smart because then it gives a more accurate gauge of it's value then just "... could be 1st overall, could be 16th"

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Teams that trade their 1st before the season starts ALWAYS put conditions on it, especially with the new lottery.

Oilers might trade it but have it top 10 protected. This is smart because then it gives a more accurate gauge of it's value then just "... could be 1st overall, could be 16th"

Did the Sharks last year?

Brendonhayden

Jan 25, 2016
I would do something like shattenkirk for edm 2017 conditional first (if it is a lottery pick then it is just straigh up if it no then the blues get edm lottery protected first in 2018 but if they don't make the playoffs then it turns into a second in 2018 and 2019 not sure if that is aloud.). This is baised on shattenkirk willing to sign in edm whic is unlikely.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I would do something like shattenkirk for edm 2017 conditional first (if it is a lottery pick then it is just straigh up if it no then the blues get edm lottery protected first in 2018 but if they don't make the playoffs then it turns into a second in 2018 and 2019 not sure if that is aloud.). This is baised on shattenkirk willing to sign in edm whic is unlikely.
I would do the Oilers 2017 1st for Shattenkirk and a 2nd. No conditions at all

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's too soon to tell.

If Edmonton finds a way to land that 2nd pairing right handed puck mover, not a whole lot.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
It's too soon to tell.

If Edmonton finds a way to land that 2nd pairing right handed puck mover, not a whole lot.

I'd actually try moving it for a player that would fill that hole.

Vatanen for 2017 1st (unprotected) + Yakupov

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Who cares, I think the team will make the play-offs. The NHL is so competitive now that the difference between lotto team and contender is a thin margin. To difficult to tell at this point, not quite sure the point of this thread other than to stir up controversy?

Don't tell the last 8 years of Oilers that the margin of lotto team and playoff contender is thin...:laugh:

I think the Oilers first is worth a quality forward, 60 point guy. A JVR type. Or a 2/3 dman, like Larsson....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad