What's our future?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Eleven games in I thought we could start a poll on where we will end up in the standings. I could make a poll every 10 games or so to check out where we think we will end up. I think it's safe to say before he season 99% thought we would make playoffs.

Here's a quick recap and a preview of what's to come.

Carolina: 5-3 W
Carolina: 4-3 W
New York: 6-3 W
San Jose: 4-3 W
Pittsburgh: 3-1 L
Toronto: 5-2 L
Boston: 3-2 W
Dallas: 7-5 W
Winnipeg: 4-3 L
Colorado: 5-0 L
San Jose: 3-1 L

4-2-0 against the East
2-3-0 against the West

Next nine games

@Anaheim
@LA
@Arizona
Colorado
@Florida
@Tampa
Tampa
@Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
With a competent coaching staff, could be 2-3 in the Metro, with Flintstone & staff, probably a bubble team

Clutcherbuck

Feb 28, 2007
Albany, NY
I swear it seems like some Islander fans want the team to lose because it will make them feel better. We all knew this was going to be a tough stretch. It's time for adjustments. Not panic.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
The talent is there no doubt about it. However, the coaching isn't. I didn't expect us to go undefeated. Nor did I expect us beat every opponent that "we should beat." However, as mentioned above this team has the talent. There is absolutely no reason we should look lost and utterly disinterested at times.

I will say this, part of it falls on Tavares. As the captain you are a defacto coach so to speak and some times you need to be the one to give your peers a kick in the rear.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I swear it seems like some Islander fans want the team to lose because it will make them feel better. We all knew this was going to be a tough stretch. It's time for adjustments. Not panic.

Except Capuano has shown that he is not capable of making the adjustments needed.

ilovemarkmessier

Oct 13, 2011
New York
2 or 3 seed in the division? Cmon! So the Islanders are now in the class with Boston Pitt Montreal. Wait which of those teams are you finishing in front of? Not to mention Tampa The Rangers Philly are all locks to be better then the Islanders. In my opinion the Devils look like more of a playoff team at this point. Too bad Halak was chosen over Hillar. Hiller seems to be the real deal.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
2 or 3 seed in the division? Cmon! So the Islanders are now in the class with Boston Pitt Montreal. Wait which of those teams are you finishing in front of? Not to mention Tampa The Rangers Philly are all locks to be better then the Islanders. In my opinion the Devils look like more of a playoff team at this point. Too bad Halak was chosen over Hillar. Hiller seems to be the real deal.

No one is saying we are in the class of Boston or Pittsburgh or Montreal. First off, 2 of those teams have nothing to do with our place in the standings except for being teams we can get points from. We won't by fighting for a playoff spot against them unless all 3 of us (Bos, Mon, NYI) and is wildcard area, which is unlikely.

Secondly, looking at the division, it's a crap shoot. Pittsburgh has the biggest chance of getting first, and that we an all agree on. The Canes has the biggest chance of being last, we can all agree on that as well. I think it's easy to say, on paper, we are better, even if only marginally, than the Devils. The Capitals and Columbus and I'd even go so far as to say Philly, are about the same as us. Some days we are better, others they are. The Rags I'd say are better, if only slightly.

It's been the same mantra since the days up to the season. On paper we are a good team. We have the ability to be 2-3 in the division. A small stretch isn't going to kill us. No team is perfect. What WILL kill us is if we have a long streak of no games won. We are L3 right now. If we go L5, I say Garth makes a move. We're in deep **** if we go L7-10.

Let's not turn our back on the team after 5 days of November....

Again, this is all on paper, and we will see what happens.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I picked 2-3 in the division....Optimistic? Yes....but If we can get through the next few games at .500 I think we will be ok....If we collectively drop trough at center ice and dump on the month of November its gonna be a struggle to make the playoffs at all.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Wait what? Boston, Montreal, and Tampa are NOT in the Isles division.

The Rangers are "locks"?:laugh: what makes Philly a lock? :laugh:. Any reason for this? Please tell me!

Halak look good against San Jose.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

There's virtually no difference between being a WC or being 2nd or 3rd in the division. It's a difference of one or two points. Look at last years standings.

The difference between 9th and 4th in the conference will be 6 points or less.

Bottom line is that the Isles are a bubble team. They will not finish at the top but I doubt they'll be a lotto loser again. I still say that this is the most talented team since the late 80's. Now that ain't saying much but when you look at the "best" teams since then ('93, '02), this version stacks up pretty well.

Finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division and maybe even surprising and winning a playoff round or two is certainly possible. Parity...

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
The only teams in the metro that's a lock is the Pens. The rags will make it because when you have a goalie of Lundqvist's caliber, you're given the benefit of the doubt. The Devils are vastly improved IMO, but I believe Schneider has started EVERY SINGLE game. The man is going to be burned out by January if that continues. Flyers are wildly inconsistent, Carolina is a disaster, Caps are also up and down. Columbus is hurting with Bobrovsky being out

I voted WC if it makes any difference. But this month will be the make or break for this team, as it is every single season

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I dont see much difference from this team to last years. We are bad in our own end, our pk looks horrible, and our goaltending looks below par. I have no confidence that this coaching staff can correct any of these issues. I think we finish near the bottom in GA, are above avg in GF and end up missing the playoffs.

Has anyone seen our PK? What is going on there? Enough with the triangle with a man on top...does not work.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
I dont see much difference from this team to last years. We are bad in our own end, our pk looks horrible, and our goaltending looks below par. I have no confidence that this coaching staff can correct any of these issues. I think we finish near the bottom in GA, are above avg in GF and end up missing the playoffs.

Has anyone seen our PK? What is going on there? Enough with the triangle with a man on top...does not work.

I know it's super early....but our PK is an epic disaster. Like currently worse than the worst PK ever! We are at 64.7%

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2010/1/10/1244496/worst-penalty-killing-teams-since

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Reading comprehension fail...

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA

Difference between this year and last year's goalie situation is that last year, I dreaded Nabby being out (and that's saying something as it is). This year, if we put Johnson in instead, I'm fine with it.

Umm the Rangers went to the Stanley Cup Finals last year. There a lock dude!

You think that has ANY reason for them to be there again??? Hahahaha okay. They have a good team, sure. But they did not get much better. Plus they lost, what, half their defensive core from last season? Yeah, I'm not really concerned about them as much as I used to be.

startainfection*

I'm sticking with my 2nd or 3rd in the division prediction

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Think we just miss out.

Need better coaching to tighten things up/adjust on the fly instead of Cappy and his autopilot coaching methods.

Also, as decent/good as Halak & Johnson have been, when they've been bad, we've been getting LIT up. Can't expect every game to be a shootout.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Umm the Rangers went to the Stanley Cup Finals last year. There a lock dude!

A lock? The only lock is your team made the finals once in last 20 years and then you return back to mediocrity. And we won't even discuss the fact that Kreider barreled into Price and your team was facing the 3rd string goalie. If that happened to #30, we'd be hearing that players name + suck chanted in the Garden for next 50 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad