#whatdidchevydotoday

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think Trouba is on the opening day roster.

I think one of Buff/Postma/Redmond is moved. Could be any of them.

Assuming they sign the big 3 RFAs, for around $14 mill/yr, then if you plan to improve the top 6, with a $5+ mill player, then they may look to shed some salary and cap space, and that's where a Buff deal comes in. If they wait on a big (pricey) acquisition, then Buff may stay, imo.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think Trouba is on the opening day roster.

I think one of Buff/Postma/Redmond is moved. Could be any of them.

Assuming they sign the big 3 RFAs, for around $14 mill/yr, then if you plan to improve the top 6, with a $5+ mill player, then they may look to shed some salary and cap space, and that's where a Buff deal comes in. If they wait on a big (pricey) acquisition, then Buff may stay, imo.

Clitsome isn't signed yet, nor is he a difference maker.

If he doesn't sign and Buff is gone the Jets could be losing:

24:24 / Game - Byfuglien
22:51 / Game - Hainsey (He logged more minutes than any other available UFA)
18:50 / Game - Clitsome (11th most minutes / game among UFA D men)

That is a little over 66 minutes of ice time per game.

In other words...

Hi, Sam Reinhardt. How are you doing today?

Keeping Clitsome and moving Buff wouldn't likely yield results that are much better.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Clitsome isn't signed yet, nor is he a difference maker.

If he doesn't sign and Buff is gone the Jets could be losing:

24:24 / Game - Byfuglien
22:51 / Game - Hainsey (He logged more minutes than any other available UFA)
18:50 / Game - Clitsome (11th most minutes / game among UFA D men)

That is a little over 66 minutes of ice time per game.

In other words...

Hi, Sam Reinhardt. How are you doing today?

Keeping Clitsome and moving Buff wouldn't likely yield results that are much better.

That's assuming Trouba, Redmond or Postma (if Buff was dealt), couldn't pick up a significant piece of those minutes, and a Buff deal doesn't return a dman that could eat up some minutes.

I would hope if Buff is moved, management and coaches have a plan, and its not filled with 'scraps'. But then again...

Edit: for instance, Buff is moved to Carolina, then coming back should be a minute eating piece such as Joni Pitkanen. Who can easily play Hainsey minutes - when not injured. I think minutes can be managed with right deal.

Last edited:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I don't think Barkov will be there at 5th, the top 4 will be Mackinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov(in no order).

Don't underestimate Nichushkin. He could be taken at 3. Yzerman is really high on him, at least that's the rumor.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
It is amusing to watch guys like Ryan Blight on twitter; IMO he is clearly panicked because he doesn't fully grasp what is going on.

Management have said they plan to build this team via the draft. Kind of silly to expect a lot of activity right now from a team with that stated approach. They chose to do nothing at the deadline, likely due that they knew they didn't have the required horses to compete - even with a few cosmetic lineup changes. They were also aware well in advance of what their contract situation would be at this moment regarding the number of players they had signed, and they've done little. That suggests to me they are keeping their powder dry going into the draft and are looking to make big changes there both via trades and in free agency a few days later as well.

Have personally long viewed this team as having a very weak lineup. We also knew there would be changes coming due all of the pending expiring UFA contracts, and the team it appears let them expire prior to extending anyone - which says something. Aside from a few core guys, a few fwds' & d, I'm guessing the Jets management are viewing this roster as a near blank canvas right now. You know who doesn't make a lot of noise in the press? A smart GM looking to make big changes going forward.

So anyway, I'd bet management are very active at the moment. The current near silence from the team doesn't mean they are doing nothing, but rather just that we haven't heard about it yet. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I agree. That guy is an idiot. ;)

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
That's assuming Trouba, Redmond or Postma (if Buff was dealt), couldn't pick up a significant piece of those minutes, and a Buff deal doesn't return a dman that could eat up some minutes.

I would hope if Buff is moved, management and coaches have a plan, and its not filled with 'scraps'. But then again...

Edit: for instance, Buff is moved to Carolina, then coming back should be a minute eating piece such as Joni Pitkanen. Who can easily play Hainsey minutes - when not injured. I think minutes can be managed with right deal.

I wouldn't like to see any of those three thrown "top four" minutes next year.

If Buff was to be moved they would be looking for a top six forward, not a replacement top four D man plus whatever scraps would come with the D.

Even without Buff moving if the Jet's don't sign Clitsome they are going to need a aquire a top four guy somewhere.

Buff/Toby
Bogo/Clitty
Stuart/Trouba

Is what I hope to see dressed for the season opener in October.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I have no idea who Chevy will draft or who he will trade for, but I am willing to predict this:
There will be >1 trade of an active player and at least 1 significant UFA pickup in the next 2 weeks, both facilitated by our relative cap space advantage
Scheif will start the year on the team; Trouba will end the year on the team
And my 'bold prediction':
The roster that ends the upcoming season will be 35-40% different than the one that started last season.
#whatwillchevyhavedonethisyear? A TON
After not much more than a year of deliberate planning, the real fun starts today

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Sorry for my silly question but: Who actually are you?

Besides the creator of that hashtag.

His name is Ryan.

He is writer for AIH just like Truck and I.
He does a lot of the editorial work.

He and Truck are a level higher than me, although Truck and I are the ones that specialize in the analytics department (since Gabe, Ben and Alex have slowed down).

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
Sorry for my silly question but: Who actually are you?

Besides the creator of that hashtag.

His name is Ryan.

He is writer for AIH just like Truck and I.
He does a lot of the editorial work.

He and Truck are a level higher than me, although Truck and I are the ones that specialize in the analytics department (since Gabe, Ben and Alex have slowed down).

What Garret said. Not that it really matters, as people didn't need to know who I was before calling me an idiot... ;)

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
You know what, I don't mind a little spice and contrary arguments. This place would be boring if we were a bunch of yes men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad