Speculation: What would it take to move Lupul?

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I think they keep him this season, put him up on the expansion draft and if he isn't taken (most likely scenario), they trade his last year to a budget team. One way or another, Lupul won't be here for the last season of his deal.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Taking Back Kari Lehtonen.

And given our needs, it may not be the worst trade.

This sounds great. Or some other comparable Goalie. Turning his cap into a goalie which we need anyway.

I think it's less about the cap space than it is about him blocking our younger players. As much as I really like the guy....off the ice.....he just isn't a part of our team moving forward so I don't want to gift him playing time. Just get rid of him.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
This sounds great. Or some other comparable Goalie. Turning his cap into a goalie which we need anyway.

I think it's less about the cap space than it is about him blocking our younger players. As much as I really like the guy....off the ice.....he just isn't a part of our team moving forward so I don't want to gift him playing time. Just get rid of him.

Yeah, thinking Lupul for Halak. Both have the same term left, comparable hit. Reunited with Grabovski and Kulemin. Probably have to retain a bit of salary (750K) and/or throw in a late pick, but could work for both.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think they keep him this season, put him up on the expansion draft and if he isn't taken (most likely scenario), they trade his last year to a budget team. One way or another, Lupul won't be here for the last season of his deal.

I think you must protect players that have not trade clauses, right?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
we're over thinking it with lupul, simply no team wants lupul, including us...ur gonna have to attach a pretty good asset to trade him and thats just dumb for a young rebuilding team u gotta hang onto all assets u got

we also have a lot of cap space cleared with michalek, laich, and greening next year, and cleared a lot with bernier...and lupul just has 1 more year after that...we're actually not in huge hurry to spend spend spend as well, we're taking it slow and letting our guys develop before handing out big contracts imo...unless its for a big young piece

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I think you must protect players that have not trade clauses, right?

I believe it's only no move clauses that are automatically protected, but the Leafs can ask Lupul to waive his clause to become eligible for the expansion draft.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, thinking Lupul for Halak. Both have the same term left, comparable hit. Reunited with Grabovski and Kulemin. Probably have to retain a bit of salary (750K) and/or throw in a late pick, but could work for both.

This scenario is probably a little optimistic. Halak is healthy again and will represent his country in the World Cup this summer. He can still be useful to a NHL club as a backup, albeit an expensive one.

"Late pick" is non-specific, and $750k isn't much enticement for the team thinking of taking Lupul. I'd say its a 4th rounder minimum (maybe 3rd) and around $2.5 million approx as a minimum. Even then, there might be a small salary dump coming back to us to help neutralize the salary impact. Even with all this, it could be still be hard to move Lupul.

Sadly, our best hope might be if he was to get injured again and go on LTIR. A buy-out is the other option & likely scenario. They could also loan him to the AHL and receive a small saving. When it comes to player who is constantly going on IR, very few teams can really afford this.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This scenario is probably a little optimistic. Halak is healthy again and will represent his country in the World Cup this summer. He can still be useful to a NHL club as a backup, albeit an expensive one.

"Late pick" is non-specific, and $750k isn't much enticement for the team thinking of taking Lupul. I'd say its a 4th rounder minimum (maybe 3rd) and around $2.5 million approx as a minimum. Even then, there might be a small salary dump coming back to us to help neutralize the salary impact. Even with all this, it could be still be hard to move Lupul.

Sadly, our best hope might be if he was to get injured again and go on LTIR. A buy-out is the other option & likely scenario. When it comes to player who is constantly going on IR, very few teams can really afford this.

Cor had the best scenario.
It was Dallas for Lehtonen if they are interested.
2 years of Lehtonen: 5.9 cap hit (he's a vet and it doesn't really matter who the backup is.
2 years of Lupul: 5.25 cap hit (opens a spot for our wingers)
Worst case scenario for Dallas, Lupul goes LTIR.
Leafs expose Lehtonen to Las Vegas. Maybe they work a deal with Vegas, select Lehtonen and we give you Leivo or Corrado as well.

Mad Brills*

Cor had the best scenario.
It was Dallas for Lehtonen if they are interested.
2 years of Lehtonen: 5.9 cap hit (he's a vet and it doesn't really matter who the backup is.
2 years of Lupul: 5.25 cap hit (opens a spot for our wingers)
Worst case scenario for Dallas, Lupul goes LTIR.
Leafs expose Lehtonen to Las Vegas. Maybe they work a deal with Vegas, select Lehtonen and we give you Leivo or Corrado as well.

pass.

I'd rather just buy him out next summer.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I don't get it why people think that Halak is bad goalie. He was above average last season and is paid 4,5M for next 2 seasons. NYI will have to negotiate with Greiss first and also see if he is that good for real, before they make a decision on Halak. Before Halak, they had lots of troubles in goal, but Halak was solid for them. He is also less than 1 year older than Greiss.

They will probably play them as tandem and then expose one of them, depending on their play.

SO we would have to add significantly if we wanted to get Halak.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Like Nate Thompson to the Ducks

Lupul for a 4th/5th rounder?
...and sadly a cap dump.

Bozak may eventually become the same.

Since you obviously haven't been around in at least 3 years, I should let you know:
- Burke is gone
- Nonis is gone
- Carlyle is gone
- Kessel is gone
- Phaneuf is gone
- Reimer is gone
- Bernier is gone
- 90% new scouting staff

and the new management likes Bozak...

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Let him play at the beginning of the season, last chance for him. If he shines, good for him - trade him. If he doesn't shine/gets hurt... then that's a wrap, a kid will take his spot.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
The only way Lupul gets traded is if he agrees not to play and a team like Arizona uses him to get to the cap floor.

There is no way a team would trade for Lupul to play for their team.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Since you obviously haven't been around in at least 3 years, I should let you know:
- Burke is gone
- Nonis is gone
- Carlyle is gone
- Kessel is gone
- Phaneuf is gone
- Reimer is gone
- Bernier is gone
- 90% new scouting staff

and the new management likes Bozak...

There were 173 NHL players at least a full year older the Bozak in the league last year. Was behind only Connor Brown(limited games played) and JVR in points per game for the Leafs. Won 56% of his over 1000 face-offs taken. Gave away the puck only 18 times last season. (over 400 NHL players gave away the puck more)
Proved he didn't need Kessel, in fact his +/- went from -34 to -9. He went undrafted, cost the Leafs nothing to acquire. Don't see why everyone's not happy to have him on the team other then he has been a decent #2 center placed in the #1 spot.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
The only way Lupul gets traded is if he agrees not to play and a team like Arizona uses him to get to the cap floor.

There is no way a team would trade for Lupul to play for their team.

Arizona picked up Datsyuk's contract at the draft, so they won't "need" some help getting to the cap floor until next season.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Trade him. If not possible, we're going to have to trial him on the top six to boost his value. Put him on Bozak or Kadri's line as the third linemate.

i.e.

Komarov - Kadri - Marner

JVR - Bozak - Lupul

Mr Hockey*

They would actually have to pay Lupul, I dont see the Yotes doing that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They would actually have to pay Lupul, I dont see the Yotes doing that.

I think some are confusing a trade like Datysuk where no money is involved, and a trade like Lupul where the team actually has to pay a player who may not play for them.

I think Lupul and 2nd. round pick
for
a conditional 2nd. round pick works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad