Speculation: What would it take to move Lupul?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Taking Back Kari Lehtonen.

And given our needs, it may not be the worst trade.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I don't see the big deal with Lupul. He's not signed for much longer. You let him play, if he's hurt, great you get cap relief. If he doesn't, maybe he puts up some points with the kids and someone takes him for next year. If he's garbage, you send him down for the next season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I just don't like the idea of him being on the team next season. He just plays like he is too scared of getting hurt and still gets hurt. I don't like him taking a roster spot from somebody else who might actually give you close to 82 games.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Taking Back Kari Lehtonen.

And given our needs, it may not be the worst trade.

This is about the best solution I've seen.
To make room for wingers (Marner,Hyman,Brown,Sosh,Nylander), turn Lupul into a backup goalie option. We only need the goalie to give Andersen a rest, not take a forward spot.

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
Waive Lupul, Michalek & Laich.
They can ride the bus, play in Europe, retire, LTIR, plead their case to Simmons, etc. These guys have no leverage.
Better is better and there is better than these stiffs on the farm.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
I don't see the big deal with Lupul. He's not signed for much longer. You let him play, if he's hurt, great you get cap relief. If he doesn't, maybe he puts up some points with the kids and someone takes him for next year. If he's garbage, you send him down for the next season.

This^. Sucks he's taking up a spot one of the kids could have but as many have alluded to he is injured a lot so that's not even a huge concern.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Waive Lupul, Michalek & Laich.
They can ride the bus, play in Europe, retire, LTIR, plead their case to Simmons, etc. These guys have no leverage.
Better is better and there is better than these stiffs on the farm.

Lol harsh but probably true

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
He makes $5.25M on a $5.25M cap hit this year, but next year he only is paid $3.75M

He will at worst be dealt by the TD, if he even starts the season "on" our team.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
When the sun rises in the West and sets in the East. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

Then he can be traded, and not before.

ForSpareParts*

This^. Sucks he's taking up a spot one of the kids could have but as many have alluded to he is injured a lot so that's not even a huge concern.

Do people see him playing the 4th line again? Hard to imagine he will be productive getting so few minutes and playing with grinders. He's even in the way of Matt Martin if you ask me. It might be worth it just to make him play in Ricoh Coliseum for the rest of his playing days.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
If they manage to move him, I can't imagine how they would pull it off without either retaining salary or taking back a bigger cap dump from another team (with shorter term).

Unlikely that any team will invest in him as an actual difference maker at a deadline. Unless there's a team that's desperate to reach the cap floor but I doubt that.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
There's the new cash trade rule max of 2 mil.
So if we
retain 50% thats now a 2.625 cap hit
2.625 m salary this year
And iirc 1.875 salary next year.
A total of 4.25 mil owed over 2 seasons if we retain 50% salary.

We can trade whomever 2 mil in cash
So he would be a 2.625 cap hit owed 2.25 mil total over 2 seasons.
That's an asset. Question is would the leafs want to do all this....

DWest89

May 15, 2015
There's the new cash trade rule max of 2 mil.
So if we
retain 50% thats now a 2.625 cap hit
2.625 m salary this year
And iirc 1.875 salary next year.
A total of 4.25 mil owed over 2 seasons if we retain 50% salary.

We can trade whomever 2 mil in cash
So he would be a 2.625 cap hit owed 2.25 mil total over 2 seasons.
That's an asset. Question is would the leafs want to do all this....

Do you have a source for this new cash-trade rule? I had no idea you were now allowed to trade cash...

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
It'll be tricky no matter.

glass_mover_634578249064704980_1.jpg

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Do you have a source for this new cash-trade rule? I had no idea you were now allowed to trade cash...

I don't actually i read it on this site. So I don't know if it's 100% true. Here's hoping it was legit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad