Speculation: What would it cost for the NYI to acquire a LTIR contract ?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Would Zetterberg's $6.083M/1yr. for Leddy @ $5.5M-2yrs + Leo 1yr work?

Not really. Leddy I think has positive value if we wanted to trade him and it would take more then getting rid of Komarovs contract. Maybe Leddy and Ladd, now getting rid of Ladd's caphit is a huge positive for the team

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not really. Leddy I think has positive value if we wanted to trade him and it would take more then getting rid of Komarovs contract. Maybe Leddy and Ladd, now getting rid of Ladd's caphit is a huge positive for the team
Ooooff, we don't need Leddy bad enough to take on Ladd. Leddy would be a patch on LD for 2 yrs, but we can survive without or get a UFA, or even status quo worst case scenario.

What sweetener would the Isles (my 2nd favorite team & childhood team) offer for taking on Uncle Leo @$3m caphit, 1yr?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What sweetener would the Isles (my 2nd favorite team & childhood team) offer for taking on Uncle Leo @$3m caphit, 1yr?

Not sure, I am curious to see if their may be a team that might look at Leo getting 3.5M in actual salary over 2 years(or 1.5M this year, 2M next year)/3M caphit as a positive enough to trade a bag of pucks for him first.

In terms of what I may be willing to offer, I might offer the other Aho(LHD) and Komarov for a late round pick. I fear Aho is at that point where he might go back to Sweden unless he gets an NHL job and I don't see one on our roster for him

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
If they trade Boychuk or Ladd for one it makes sense. Both those guys are pretty close to LTIRetirement themselves. Could be a Clarkson for Horton type deal.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Woops, I thought Leo had 1 yr left. Ott/AZ are the teams you seek.

I would say Leo is worth his salary, not his caphit. the guy works hard and gives 100% all the time which can be a desired skill for younger teams looking for an identity

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What team would rather have Ladd vs a LTIR contract?

One that gets something of value worth Ladd's (negative)contract in hopes that he is injured the bulk of the contract so insurance will cover it

My guess is it's a first round pick and Ladd for a 7th

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Getting to the cap limit of $81.5m, then putting a player on LTIR, does maximize the amount of cap relief. But the way you get to the cap limit does not need to be more players that will go on LTIR.

Acquiring a player that is destined for LTIR in itself does not gain you any space. While it can allow you to spend $X over the cap, that player also adds $X to that allowable space. It doesn't both deduct $X from what you're spending AND increase your limit at the same time.

So X +X -X = X ?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Without knowing which LTIR contracts are insured and which ownership groups are facing money troubles, it's very hard to answer this but I like the thinking behind it. All indications from media are that there's going to be a class of "have not" teams with internal caps looking to cut costs and I can see one of them possibly trading an LTIR contract to save money.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Ottawa may be your best shot if your cap hit guy costs less than 3 million real dollars. I believe Hossa's deal costs around 3.1 million in real dollars as it wasnt insured (could be wrong).

Boychuk costs 1.25 million in real dollars this year but 4 million next year. Im not sure if that would work for Ottawa but it would be the best shot for the Islanders.

Hossa is in Arizona, not Ottawa. The Sens have Gaborik at $4.875m and only for this year. No idea on the cash money cost of that.

Boychuk would be a solid pickup for Ottawa though, assuming a strong incentive is going with him.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Hossa is in Arizona, not Ottawa. The Sens have Gaborik at $4.875m and only for this year. No idea on the cash money cost of that.

Boychuk would be a solid pickup for Ottawa though, assuming a strong incentive is going with him.
Gaborik. Yep. Thanks for the catch. Well it turns Gaborik’s deal is insured and it only costs Ottawa 800k in real money. That deal doesn’t work.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Before COVID-19, I would have agreed that Leddy had high value,but his backloaded deal will turn off a lot of teams.

Reactions: Hitemwith4

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Before COVID-19, I would have agreed that Leddy had high value,but his backloaded deal will turn off a lot of teams.

Agree Covid has alot teams wanting to cut salaries and no there's no guarantee that fans will be allowed back in stadiums next season whenever that starts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad