Speculation: What will Canes do at deadline?

What will Canes do at deadline?

• Total voters

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Last I heard Lehner is hurt and Mrazek has been moved. I can't think of a goalie upgrade available now.

Rask + Goat for Brassard
Ryan for a 3rd
Stempy for a 3rd
Jooris and Kruger retained and traded for low picks
Lindy to C

Aho Brassard TT
McGinn Staal Williams
Skinner Lindy Zykov
Foegele Wallmark Nordy

Play the 4th line 11 mins a night.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Grabner price is 2nd + something small.

2nd + Brown

Does Brown really count as "something small"? He's a 25 (soon to be 26) un-drafted player who isn't even a very good AHL player. I think by something small, they mean a young prospect that isn't top tier, but still has a chance to develop into something. If the "2nd + something small" is truly accurate, I'm guessing were talking the McKeown, Carrick, Kuokkanen's of our world.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I thought there were rumors Raanta might be available. He's a UFA at the end of the year and if Arizona doesn't think they can sign him, they might want to move him. I'd be making that call if I were Ron.

I read the AZ board. From what I could tell, they (fans) want to re-sign him, but don't want to give him a big payday because still feel he isn't proven enough. My guess is Raanta (and his agent) is going to want a Talbot / Darling type deal so it will be interesting to see where that goes.

I can't see the Coyotes management not wanting to re-sign him, unless they feel the money he's asking for is too high. Who do they go after if they lose him?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I read the AZ board. From what I could tell, they (fans) want to re-sign him, but don't want to give him a big payday because still feel he isn't proven enough. My guess is Raanta (and his agent) is going to want a Talbot / Darling type deal so it will be interesting to see where that goes.

I can't see the Coyotes management not wanting to re-sign him, unless they feel the money he's asking for is too high. Who do they go after if they lose him?

Assuming he did want Darling type money and Arizona didn't want to pay it, do you think they'd bite on a signed reclamation project like Darling for three years if we ate the max 50% of the remainder of his contract? Trade something like Darling (50%) + 2018 2nd +2019 4th for Raanta? If they feel he is asking too much, they get Darling for three years at $2M plus the picks. It's steep for us, but at this point he has shown more than Darling had before we signed him and should be a much needed upgrade at our most substandard position.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Most of the guys being discussed have some form of NTC and the Canes are all over those lists. Half of RF's job is just identifying a player even willing to come to Raleigh.

What's it gonna take? I presume paying some elite talent out the nose, but if it gets the ball rolling so be it. I mean we aren't drafting superstars, or even elite players anytime soon. I would imagine Dundon is ready to do just that, if it means better talent, more wins, and more warm bodies spending money to watch the games. At least that's my hope, it just seems like a long shot still.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Its funny, because I know more than a few STM who are so b-hurt about the $40 lower level tickets and games where the 300 level was closed off that they are swearing off season tickets forever and are openly questioning whether they want to be fans of the team anymore.

I understand why this would be, but in an effort to get fans coming to games, and have a more legit chance of keeping the team here long term I think that is shortsighted on their part.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I read the AZ board.
This is where I hate words that are spelled the same in more than one tense. In this case, fails to quell my curiosity about your perusal of the ARI board. Do you read it actively, and have seen conversations about Raanta, or did you read it expressly to see what they might have to say about him? Just curious.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
What's it gonna take? I presume paying some elite talent out the nose, but if it gets the ball rolling so be it. I mean we aren't drafting superstars, or even elite players anytime soon. I would imagine Dundon is ready to do just that, if it means better talent, more wins, and more warm bodies spending money to watch the games. At least that's my hope, it just seems like a long shot still.
It goes way beyond talent. The kinds of players we're trying to bring in make multiple millions of dollars per season. The last thing these players want is to come in and practice at seriously substandard facilities when the competition is willing to give them every creature comfort in the book.

The training facilities need to be completely overhauled and brought up to upper NHL caliber, and then kept there. The reputation of this franchise across the players is of one where the players don't even know if they'll have the equipment they need on a day to day basis because of how cheap Karmanos ran things. Dundon is going to have to go above and beyond to rectify that situation, and it starts with getting a new practice rink with every bell and whistle the rest of the league has.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This is where I hate words that are spelled the same in more than one tense. In this case, fails to quell my curiosity about your perusal of the ARI board. Do you read it actively, and have seen conversations about Raanta, or did you read it expressly to see what they might have to say about him? Just curious.

The latter. I went there once a couple of days ago, only to the thread about Raanta to see what they might have to say about him.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I like Raanta lots seem to think he will resign in Arz.

One thing I've been thinking about is RF usually makes his moves early....my guess is if he doesn't do something in the next 3 days nothing is happening. Maybe he waits until after the Pens game.

I doubt he's waiting, but maybe. They're 1 point out of a WC spot, with 22 games to go. My guess he's trying to acquire assets now, regardless of what happens on Friday night.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
It goes way beyond talent. The kinds of players we're trying to bring in make multiple millions of dollars per season. The last thing these players want is to come in and practice at seriously substandard facilities when the competition is willing to give them every creature comfort in the book.

The training facilities need to be completely overhauled and brought up to upper NHL caliber, and then kept there. The reputation of this franchise across the players is of one where the players don't even know if they'll have the equipment they need on a day to day basis because of how cheap Karmanos ran things. Dundon is going to have to go above and beyond to rectify that situation, and it starts with getting a new practice rink with every bell and whistle the rest of the league has.

Sure, but I'm talking this season, and next not 2-3 years or more down the road. They can't afford to go without additional talent that long. Money talks, and the Canes are gonna have to bring enough of it that players say "f*** it" why not. Every one has a price.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Canes have built themselves up to be an undesirable location over the past decade. Terrible practice facilities, player amenities, lackluster training staff, and an overarching organizational culture which is a reflection of Peter Karmanos (ie: a smoldering turd). Dundon has immersed himself in putting out these organizational tire fires but it could realistically be years before the good will builds up. The Canes are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to player/agent perception. What it is going to take to turn it around is rigorous, active management from an owner willing to be vocal about his expectations and direction. Can't ask much more from Dundon in that regard as he is doing a great job. Putting the Canes on the map by bringing in a Superstar would be a significant boost but at this point I think it will take Scrooge McDuck money.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think Dundon's going to fix all the "sub standard" stuff, but IMO, even when that is fixed, it's going to take getting a marquee player here (Draft, Trade, UFA), having some success, and then seeing that there is a path to sustained success.

I mentioned this before, but I liken this to when Reggie White signed in Green Bay. He, along with Favre totally changed how Green Bay was viewed across the NFL by other players.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Sure, but I'm talking this season, and next not 2-3 years or more down the road. They can't afford to go without additional talent that long. Money talks, and the Canes are gonna have to bring enough of it that players say "**** it" why not. Every one has a price.
A significant overpayment, probably around 25% more than anyone else would offer, kind of like how the Washington Nationals paid Jayson Werth far more than anyone else was offering when they signed him in FA back in 2009. Before then, nobody, and I mean nobody wanted to play for them, but that signing opened eyes, and with the onset of a couple big rookies (Strasburg and Harper) they became a legit FA destination.

The Canes are pretty much going to have to do the same. It might take giving someone like Tavares a stupidly expensive contract, one that isn't so much about bringing a player here as it is sending a message to agents what we're willing to play the game again.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
A significant overpayment, probably around 25% more than anyone else would offer, kind of like how the Washington Nationals paid Jayson Werth far more than anyone else was offering when they signed him in FA back in 2009. Before then, nobody, and I mean nobody wanted to play for them, but that signing opened eyes, and with the onset of a couple big rookies (Strasburg and Harper) they became a legit FA destination.

The Canes are pretty much going to have to do the same. It might take giving someone like Tavares a stupidly expensive contract, one that isn't so much about bringing a player here as it is sending a message to agents what we're willing to play the game again.

They need to offer Tavares a stupid contract, and every perk they can muster baked in. I mean lavish this dude, and promise the f***ing world. That's what they should do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad